Rob Thomas

• 70 replies
Re: Rob Thomas
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 12:38:19 PM »
he was completely unqualified academically

The NCAA seems to disagree.  But what do they know?  They don't have PMG's impeccable "inside sources".
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »

The NCAA seems to disagree.  But what do they know?  They don't have PMG's impeccable "inside sources".

Either way I believe we were all referring to cutting some slack on Rob for his on court performances. We all know that Rob has come a long way in the classroom and its great for him.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »
Either way I believe we were all referring to cutting some slack on Rob for his on court performances. We all know that Rob has come a long way in the classroom and its great for him.

Well said!

pmg911

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 01:01:13 PM »

EXCUSE ME  Mr. Moderator. . The NCAA was actually the organization who declared him academically ineligible his first year...     maybe get your facts straight before you take a shot at me...   

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 01:01:56 PM »
My only question is if Rob continues to do well in the classroom and actually earns a degree who is going to dig the ditches?  I nominate Stool.   :D

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 01:08:18 PM »
EXCUSE ME  Mr. Moderator. . The NCAA was actually the organization who declared him academically ineligible his first year...     maybe get your facts straight before you take a shot at me...   
I was obviously talking about giving Mr. Thomas a break for his oncourt play.  But you take the opportunity to take a shot at him.  Feel better about yourself?  And the fact is Mr. Thomas is qualified and playing now.

He's apparently taking care of what he needs to in the classroom so how about commending him for taking advantage of the opportunity he's been given?

pmg911

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 01:17:58 PM »
EXCUSE ME  Mr. Moderator. . The NCAA was actually the organization who declared him academically ineligible his first year...     maybe get your facts straight before you take a shot at me...   
I was obviously talking about giving Mr. Thomas a break for his oncourt play.  But you take the opportunity to take a shot at him.  Feel better about yourself?  And the fact is Mr. Thomas is qualified and playing now.

He's apparently taking care of what he needs to in the classroom so how about commending him for taking advantage of the opportunity he's been given?

Nice job trying to twist that back on me. . you made a statement and took a shot at me and were blatantly incorrect...  maybe you should get your facts straight before coming at me...

As for Rob Thomas...   he deserves zero slack on the court at this point..   he should be able to contribute to the team, if he can or not, none of us can really say at this current point because he is not getting the chance...     with Mason gone for year, he just might get it...

As for his academics... he is receiving a very valuable gift in a free education and I hope he is taking advantage of it...  because if he couldn't play basketball he would never be in a position to haver received the free education...

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »

I don't believe this at all.  There are millions of kids just like Rob that don't get the chance to go to school because they can't play basketball.  It's embarassing for our university to publicly come out that he was reading at a high school level.  It was all PR for Norm.  It probably saved his job last year. 

I'm not saying it doesn't go on at other schools, but you don't see G'town marketing the fact that Mutumbo could barely read. Just INSANE.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 01:51:18 PM »

I don't believe this at all.  There are millions of kids just like Rob that don't get the chance to go to school because they can't play basketball.  It's embarassing for our university to publicly come out that he was reading at a high school level.  It was all PR for Norm.  It probably saved his job last year. 

I'm not saying it doesn't go on at other schools, but you don't see G'town marketing the fact that Mutumbo could barely read. Just INSANE.

Marillac, SJU isn't alone in bending the rules. The article was supposed to be a story that would inspire, not point out an easy admissions policy for basketball players.

Allen Iverson went to Georgetown for God's sake.

I don't think it's fair to bring a kid's academics into this.
I don't care what the school is, ALL OF THEM make it really, really hard to not get in as an athlete.

And I know for a fact that SJU isn't cake walk for any athlete.

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »
Nice job trying to twist that back on me. . you made a statement and took a shot at me and were blatantly incorrect...  maybe you should get your facts straight before coming at me...

As for Rob Thomas...   he deserves zero slack on the court at this point..   he should be able to contribute to the team, if he can or not, none of us can really say at this current point because he is not getting the chance...     with Mason gone for year, he just might get it...

As for his academics... he is receiving a very valuable gift in a free education and I hope he is taking advantage of it...  because if he couldn't play basketball he would never be in a position to haver received the free education...

We were all talking on court performance and for some reason you bring academics into the fold.  There a lots of kids playing basketball at schools they wouldn't normally be admitted to.

"Blatantly incorrect"?  He was a partial qualifier and did what he had to do in the classroom to play for St. John's.  He is currently on the roster isn't he?

As for oncourt slack...the kid severely blew out his knee and hasn't played in competition for at least 2 years.  Feel free to criticize his play...its just my opinion that he deserves some slack.   It's a great story and I hope it works out for the young man.

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »

Marillac, SJU isn't alone in bending the rules. The article was supposed to be a story that would inspire, not point out an easy admissions policy for basketball players.

I don't care what the school is, ALL OF THEM make it really, really hard to not get in as an athlete.

Iverson:  "If I can't read, I can't read.  It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about academics. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about academics. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about academics, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about academics. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about academics man. How silly is that?

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 03:02:17 PM »

Iverson:  "If I can't read, I can't read.  It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about academics. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about academics. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about academics, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about academics. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about academics man. How silly is that?
:D :D :D
Victor Page and AI, Georgetown student-athletes

Marc Edgerson had a 1.33 and a 610 SAT.

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 04:55:52 PM »
and perhaps a minor point...

PMG, the education is not a gift. The athletes work hard for it. The university gains a lot - money, pr -  from their efforts. It is payment for services, and in many cases not nearly commensurate with the benefits and profits the schools make.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 05:13:14 PM »

PMG, the education is not a gift. The athletes work hard for it. The university gains a lot - money, pr -  from their efforts. It is payment for services, and in many cases not nearly commensurate with the benefits and profits the schools make.

Exactly. Either you win in NY, or we hate you.

These kids are treated like pros, because NY fans, and especially SJU fans, are the worst fans in the country.

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 05:32:48 PM »

No doubt.
Evry D1 b-ball playa should get a stipend along wit they books and board.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

sjd8886

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2008, 11:38:23 AM »
i still dont understand where he fits in on the court...i know in hs he was a swingman...but hs is much different...he was very athletic and fast back then and could play the 3 very well...and he was big enough at 6'6 and 235 to play PF against hs players...now, hes lost his athleticism and a step or two so SF is a bit of a challenge, and hes dropped to about 215, and still only stands at 6'6, which doesn't exactly describe a collegiate PF...with mase out, you would think the focus is on him to continue to get into shape and develop the jumper and be the backup to DJ, but is it?

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2008, 11:59:18 AM »
I agree with you guys when it comes to the money these kids generate for the schools, but lets face the facts many off these kids [NOT MOST] would not have been given the opp. to attend many of these schools if they could not play the sport. Many of the athletes develope connections with alumni which will carry them after school if they do not make it to the next level, opp. that average students do not get while paying and working thier way through school.

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2008, 06:00:48 PM »
All true, erick, but ultimately meaningless. These kids are not cheating or getting something for nothing, or skirting the system or anything of the kind.. any more than is the coach who’s paid a hell of a lot more than a professor. The schools make their standards eminently clear. Athletes are not average students and are not treated like them.

You don’t like the system? Fine, I agreee with you.  Coaches shouldn’t get paid more than teachers. As far as I’m concerned neither should actors, athletes or lawyers. J And although I would disagree, you might argue that admissions standards should be absolute.

But the system is what it is. The schools make a fortune. They pay the coaches exorbitantly and pay the kids with barter - an education and maybe connections that they might not have had the opportunity to get. The payment to the kids has value.. but I think the athletes are  underpaid – in some cases woefully underpaid. In any other endeavor that generates so much income the performers are paid significantly more. Witness the coaches.

mkras99

Re: Pre - Game Discussion St. Francis NY @ St. John's
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2008, 07:23:08 PM »
Rob was never a pure SF.

Re: Pre - Game Discussion St. Francis NY @ St. John's
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »
Rob was never a pure SF.

Thank you I've been meaning to get on here and post this all day. I'm not sure where everyone got this idea from...?

He's always been a banger who had some range.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle