Durand Scott - SG - Rice HS - New York, NY - MIAMI U

• 101 replies
Re: Durand Scott - SG - Rice HS - New York, NY
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2008, 01:44:07 AM »
He was pretty solid in Elite 24 game. Not overly assertive though he seemed to get lost in the shuffle at times. He wasn't too flashy which I like he just did what he had to do when he had the ball.

I'm curious to the comparison of Durand Scott and Kevin Parrom
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2008, 02:31:37 AM »
Durand is better they both will end up playing the point

pmg911

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2008, 09:39:16 AM »

Honestly..   how can you say that..?

Neither pf these kids have playyed point guard in high school..    they both can handle the ball but play point guard in the Big East...?

As Choz has said. .  "point guards are born...   not made"  and you just don't go from play #2 & #3 in high school to running the point in high level Division I....     maybe they both will be combo guards but true point guards..  not a chance...

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »

Honestly..   how can you say that..?

Neither pf these kids have playyed point guard in high school..    they both can handle the ball but play point guard in the Big East...?

As Choz has said. .  "point guards are born...   not made"  and you just don't go from play #2 & #3 in high school to running the point in high level Division I....     maybe they both will be combo guards but true point guards..  not a chance...

Kids like Chris Duhon,Sundiata Gaines,Russell Robinson,Darius Washington and even Eugene Lawrence were SG converted into PG's. Why cant these kids do the same?

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2008, 10:55:03 AM »
Honestly..   how can you say that..?

Neither pf these kids have played point guard in high school..    they both can handle the ball but play point guard in the Big East...?

As Choz has said. .  "point guards are born...   not made"  and you just don't go from play #2 & #3 in high school to running the point in high level Division I....     maybe they both will be combo guards but true point guards..  not a chance...

Gotta go with poppa pmg & choz on this "point".. ;D .. Especially pertaining to parrom... i definitely don't see him playing ANY pg in college. Sure he didn't mean Lawrence instead? Because omari is quoted as saying that the staff was going to use him at both guard spots to best ready him for the "next" level... peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2008, 11:08:35 AM »
He was pretty solid in Elite 24 game. Not overly assertive though he seemed to get lost in the shuffle at times. He wasn't too flashy which I like he just did what he had to do when he had the ball.

I'm curious to the comparison of Durand Scott and Kevin Parrom
I wouldn't take much from the Boost Mobile 24 game.
Kenny Boynton was dominating all year long.
Scott said he was the hardest player he's ever defended, but, if you had never seen Boynton before, you'd think he was just above-average based on that little NY exhibition.

Scott should be a better college player than Russell Robinson.
I just hope he doesn't go to UCONN.

kob24

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2008, 11:42:32 AM »
Durand and kevin where born point guards but due to their height and scoring ability they have been pushed to the sg and sf/pf position. Kevin is with out a doubt a true point but he is 6'6 and has a big body. kevin has had to play back up point for me for three summers now. And since Durand was young he was a point he has just been on rice and guachos teams where there where other points. Are y'all trying to tell me truck who played power fowardin the eight grade and who will play pg for west virgina was born a point?

pmg911

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2008, 12:10:12 PM »
Durand and kevin where born point guards but due to their height and scoring ability they have been pushed to the sg and sf/pf position. Kevin is with out a doubt a true point but he is 6'6 and has a big body. kevin has had to play back up point for me for three summers now. And since Durand was young he was a point he has just been on rice and guachos teams where there where other points. Are y'all trying to tell me truck who played power fowardin the eight grade and who will play pg for west virgina was born a point?

First. . please don't compare playing point guard in an AAU enviornment and in the high school league enviorment. . its a completely different situation....

Kids just don't go from not playing point guard in high school to moving to that position, successfully, in college and especially in the Big East...   of course there are exceptions to every situation...

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2008, 12:17:33 PM »
I think you see adaptation on any level in any sport. You see guys play positions in college that play different positions in the NBA. You see kids who played other positions in college football who play others in NFL. I think you see it even more so in the transition from highschool to college.

I agree with PMG however the transition is going to be hard however I don't think we expect either to be all big east PG in their freshman year. I think they can be successful though in their collegiate career at the position.

kob24

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2008, 02:50:58 PM »
hold on so u are saying since the kid never played point in high school he can't play it in college? Since a kid can't shoot the ball he will never be able to shoot. Since a kid weighs 145 soaking wet he can't gain weight. Pmg what was bassy and steph in highschool? What was lebron? What was Lamar? Hell tell me what ronald ramon played while he was at all hallows. And u guys still haven't said anything about truck yet?

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2008, 03:16:26 PM »

First. . please don't compare playing point guard in an AAU enviornment and in the high school league enviorment. . its a completely different situation....

Kids just don't go from not playing point guard in high school to moving to that position, successfully, in college and especially in the Big East...   of course there are exceptions to every situation...

I don't agree at all...in fact I was a point guard but played shooting guard for my high school team.  We had another player that played the point but couldn't shoot so I was moved to shooting guard.  I played point on my AAU team.  Just because you didn't play the PG on your high school team doesn't mean you can't play it in college. 

Also just because someone is a good passer doesn't mean they would be a good PG either.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2008, 03:30:37 PM »
Its an unfortunate situation for some of the more talented players. They will be asked to make sacrifices for the better of the team. Why? Because they are talented enough they can. Thats like the tallest kid in class is always the big man. What if that big man has handle? He can shoot? etc. Chances are at the early level and sometimes into highschool they will be asked to play down low.

Also another scenario if a kid is talented and he is a PG and is playing with weaker players around him. It might be better for him to play off the ball so he can get more shots. If he has the ball in his hands to start it might be harder for him to finish. Double team has to pass the ball. If he is off the ball he can run through screens get free and get the ball in better spots.

Also if you look around college how many teams around the country have legit "true" pg on their roster?

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2008, 04:25:21 PM »
you have to take coaching into account as well, most premier players at the high school level have the attributes to play the point on any level, such as ball handling, speed and vision. I think its more of going from a scoring mentality to a running the show mentality. The great coaches can "coach a guy up" and maybe thats necessary for some circumstances.

pmg911

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2008, 07:15:05 AM »
Pmg what was bassy and steph in highschool?

KOB. . maybe Truck was a power foward in 8th grade but he was a point guard in high school and learned the position while his game was developing...

Stephon Marbury & Sebastian Telfair have been point guards since the day they stepped on a court...   I watched both of them since they were both in the 4th grade and they have never played another position...

I never said a kid can't make the transition... and of course there are exceptions but to make it and be successful playing in the Big East...  its not something that happens every year...   maybe for a kid who is playing in a lower tier conference the transition can be made over a couple of years...

Please don't confuse a kid that is a combo guard and a true point guard...    you use the example of Ronlad Ramon...     he is a combo guard..   if Pittsburgh has its choice..   who was the point guard there..   LeVance or Ronald...?

Lamar was forward in high school..   there is no question about that...    in fact he pl;ayed with two true point guards while at CTK. .  Speedy & Barkely...

kob24

« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2008, 11:07:22 AM »
truck became the point guard for rays when gerald left and the point got injured. And didn't Eugene transfer to Lincoln to play the point for bassy. Stephon made the word combo guard because he felt that he was just as good scoring if not better than passing. And put Lamar in the same catergory as Parrom he still brought the ball up in high school and college he still ran plays for the team. There are so many people I can name Erving walker who was the two guard when malik is there I guess isn't considered a point. Or brandon Jennings so avereaged something like 25ppg can't play the point on the next level. Say what y'all say but at the end of the day when it's all said and done Durand isn't being recruited because he is such a scorer he is being recruited with the prospect of him playing the point. Kevin Parrom will be bring the ball and running plays for whatever school he picks. I don't care what they did in highschool or anyl other grade they will evolve.

pmg911

« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »
truck became the point guard for rays when gerald left and the point got injured. And didn't Eugene transfer to Lincoln to play the point for bassy. Stephon made the word combo guard because he felt that he was just as good scoring if not better than passing. And put Lamar in the same catergory as Parrom he still brought the ball up in high school and college he still ran plays for the team. There are so many people I can name Erving walker who was the two guard when malik is there I guess isn't considered a point. Or brandon Jennings so avereaged something like 25ppg can't play the point on the next level. Say what y'all say but at the end of the day when it's all said and done Durand isn't being recruited because he is such a scorer he is being recruited with the prospect of him playing the point. Kevin Parrom will be bring the ball and running plays for whatever school he picks. I don't care what they did in highschool or anyl other grade they will evolve.

#1. Eugene was converted to point guard upon arrival at St. John's because he was off guard at Lincoln. . Sebastian was the point guard all fours at Lincoln...

#2. Stephon has never played any other position besides the point..    he might be a scoring point guard but has never ever been a combo guard...   

#3. Lamar was NOT a point guard at CTK and NEVER EVER had major ball handling responsibilities on those teams...

#4. Durand Scott is as much of a point guard as Sylven Landesburg...   they cerainly might be capable of handling the job once in a while and giving the true point a rest but it will not be their primary position in a major conference...      and maybe it happens..  I certainly could be proven wrong...   but its a rare occurence when it happens and is extremely successful...

There are plenty of forwards who have ball handling responsibilites for their teams but that certainly doesn't make them a point guard...

We could go back and forth on this all day...   

I hope both Durand & Kevin have wonderful college careers..  no matter what postion they play...

kob24

« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »
we gonna have to agree to disagree on this one pmg. I see what u are saying but my thought pattern is different on another note congrats on the kids maybe future backcourt for the johniees women team. The same year mine plays the pf.

« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »
Why does a player have to be this "position" just because he plays it on his team. I think Geno is a PG. He is not a SG(umm he can't shoot). With his case going over to Lincoln he wasn't as good as Telfair but better than the starting SG therefore he played SG.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:42:18 PM by JJ »

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2008, 10:33:06 AM »

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/09/22/durand-scott-cuts-list-to-5/#more-3889

Durand Scott, a 6-foot-4 combo guard out of Rice High School in Manhattan, has cut his list to five schools, and it’s not the list incorrectly circulating on the Internet.

“As of now, my top five are Pitt, Miami, Tennessee, UConn and UCLA,” Scott wrote Monday morning in a text message. He eliminated Virginia and Xavier.

Scott added that he was also considering Memphis.

“I might take an unofficial there,” he said.

In the meantime, Scott will take an official visit this weekend to UConn. Huskies head coach Jim Calhoun and assistant Andre LaFleur came to Rice two weeks ago and put the fullcourt press on him.

“That was the plan,” he said of an official visit to Storrs this weekend. “I have to talk about it some more. We gotta make sure it’s a definite.”

Scott may also visit Miami, Tennessee and UCLA

“Most likely I will take the visits there, but I don’t have set dates,” he said.

He spent this past weekend at Pitt, where he joined Pitt commits Dante Taylor of National Christian and Lamar Patterson of St. Benedict’s. During the Iowa-Pitt football game, the basketball team was honored with its rings for winning the Big East Tournament.

“It went really well,” he said. “I had fun out there. I met the coaching staff. I know a couple guys out there, Travon Woodall and Ashton Gibbs and Levance Fields, so I felt very comfortable. I felt right at home.”

Scott said he hopes to decide “before my season starts” in November.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2008, 11:50:19 AM »
I could understand wanting to go away from home, but how dumb do you have to be to choose Pittsburgh to be that place?
Go to California. Go to Miami.