Best Actor

• 60 replies

Tha Kid

Best Actor
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:24:38 PM »
If you wanted to make an Oscar-winning film, who would you pick for your lead role - without knowing what the movie is about?

In the 90s I prob would have gone with Denzel or Tom Hanks, but now I go with Russell Crowe.  This guy is a phenomenal actor and has done a wide range of movies.
"I drink and I know things"

Re: Best Actor
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 07:58:26 AM »
Dicaprio

LJSA

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:59:20 PM »
Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »
If you wanted to make an Oscar-winning film, who would you pick for your lead role - without knowing what the movie is about?

In the 90s I prob would have gone with Denzel or Tom Hanks, but now I go with Russell Crowe.  This guy is a phenomenal actor and has done a wide range of movies.

I have a few movie scripts that I'm working on.  I don't expect anything to come of them obviously, but you always keep in mind what actors you would like to play the roles.  It helps the creative process.  Sean Penn and Morgan Freeman would be ideal form my roles for two fathers of the lead characters (if budget were no issue). 

A good young actor I like is Shia Labeuf.  The transformers movies and the new Indy film have cooled me off on him a bit, but he was amazing in "A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints" and "Disturbia."  Very talented kid.

Ethan Hawke is a very underrated actor and has shown quite a bit of range.  I recently saw him in "WHat Doesn't Kill You" and he nailed the Irish gangster part.  If you haven't seen "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset," you have to.  Great films.
He was also in "Dead Poet's Society" and "Hamlet."

Sean Penn was incredible in "Milk."  I actually saw the documentary before the movie, so I had a good sense of Harvey Milk the person.  I can't believe how Penn nailed down the character to every last mannerism. 

Some of my favorite actors:  Phillip Seymour-Hoffman, Kevin Spacey, Dustin Hoffman (excellent in "Last Chance Harvey), Robert De Niro

LJSA

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »
I was blown away by Hawke's performance in "Before Sunset." It felt as natural as if I myself were walking and BS'ing with a friend. It was so natural that it seemed ad-libbed, which if true is amazing.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:25:42 PM »
I was blown away by Hawke's performance in "Before Sunset." It felt as natural as if I myself were walking and BS'ing with a friend. It was so natural that it seemed ad-libbed, which if true is amazing.

"Before Sunrise" was terrific as well.  Both were very moving films.  It's amazing because the film was essentially a dialogue between two people.  There was very little action and no strong secondary characters, but it was, as you put it, so natural.  Some of the most moving parts were so subtle and didn't really hit me for a few moments or until the movie was over.

It's funny, because Hawke was SO MUCH better than Mark Rufalo in "What Doesn't Kill You."  Ruffalo is a great romantic comedy actor, but he was just owned by Hawke's versatility. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:57:07 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 12:19:40 AM »
My church of scientology told me Tom Cruise. Kidding

It depends on the flick. Is it comedy, drama, thriller, action?

I will try and go with guys not mentioned already.

I think Will Smith is always awesome in everything he's in. Another one of my favorite actors who I feel is underrated is Mark Whalberg.

Some other worthy candidates...

Matt Damon?

George Clooney?

Brad Pitt?

Christian Bale?

If he is still acting....Joaquin Phoenix?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 01:21:57 AM »
My church of scientology told me Tom Cruise. Kidding

It depends on the flick. Is it comedy, drama, thriller, action?

I will try and go with guys not mentioned already.

I think Will Smith is always awesome in everything he's in. Another one of my favorite actors who I feel is underrated is Mark Whalberg.

Some other worthy candidates...

Matt Damon?

George Clooney?

Brad Pitt?

Christian Bale?

If he is still acting....Joaquin Phoenix?

All good picks.  I think Pheonix and Casey Affleck are doing a big 'F-You' with that whole crazy thing.  Pheonix is a method actor and I can see taking a challenge of staying in character so long.  Bale hasn't shown me the range that the others up there have, though.  It seems like he plays a variation of himself every movie. 

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:28:04 AM »

I have a few movie scripts that I'm working on.  I don't expect anything to come of them obviously, but you always keep in mind what actors you would like to play the roles.  It helps the creative process.  Sean Penn and Morgan Freeman would be ideal form my roles for two fathers of the lead characters (if budget were no issue). 

A good young actor I like is Shia Labeuf.  The transformers movies and the new Indy film have cooled me off on him a bit, but he was amazing in "A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints" and "Disturbia."  Very talented kid.

Ethan Hawke is a very underrated actor and has shown quite a bit of range.  I recently saw him in "WHat Doesn't Kill You" and he nailed the Irish gangster part.  If you haven't seen "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset," you have to.  Great films.

Sean Penn was incredible in "Milk."  I actually saw the documentary before the movie, so I had a good sense of Harvey Milk the person.  I can't believe how Penn nailed down the character to every last mannerism. 

Some of my favorite actors:  Phillip Seymour-Hoffman, Kevin Spacey, Dustin Hoffman (excellent in "Last Chance Harvey), Robert De Niro

I'm now convinced that either Marillac is " the Highlander " and is thousands of years old or he is awake 24 hours a day and doesnt sleep because I have no other way to explain how he has time for everything.

Horse ranch owner,screenplay writer,Juco basketball coach,Training to be a foster parent or something like that,always seems to be in school,Tax Lien investor and Im sure I've missed 100 things. And I'm pretty sure I just saw him a minute ago fishing for Alaskan King Crab in the Bearing Sea on the boat Northerwestern on the TV Show " The Deadliest Catch.

And he's not even 30 yet.

I'd say we should write a book on Marillac's life but he probably already has written it ( Special Section given to Diana Turasai )

There has to be a Nike or gatorade commercial in here somewhere :):)

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:31:28 AM »

I'm now convinced that either Marillac is " the Highlander " and is thousands of years old or he is awake 24 hours a day and doesnt sleep because I have no other way to explain how he has time for everything.

Horse ranch owner,screenplay writer,Juco basketball coach,Training to be a foster parent or something like that,always seems to be in school,Tax Lien investor and Im sure I've missed 100 things. And I'm pretty sure I just saw him a minute ago fishing for Alaskan King Crab in the Bearing Sea on the boat Northerwestern on the TV Show " The Deadliest Catch.

I'd say we should write a book on Marillac's life but he probably already has written it ( Special Section given to Diana Turasai )

Hes Forrest Gump

boo3

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 09:45:20 AM »
  I think i just pissed my pants ;D

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 11:25:07 AM »
Another actor who should get mentioned is Forest Whitaker. Who would have thought fast times at Ridgemont High would have produced so many good actors

boo3

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »
  Hate their politics but Sean Penn and Tim Robbins are terrific in everything they do.(movie wise)

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 12:49:35 PM »

Speaking of commercials...I've been in a few of them myself.  The last one was the Reebok Terry Tate commercial shot at Belson Stadium on the St. John's campus that aired during the finale of the first American Idol and the Super Bowl.  That was a funny day because on the FIRST TAKE Terry Tate laid the guy out and he was uconscious for two hours. 

Others that my inspire a chuckle...Marillac gets chosen every single time he is in a crowd and they need a volunteer despite not actually volunteering.  I've had to go on stage in Vegas, be hypnotized in front of a thousand people, and dress up as a woman at the circus.  I've also had to dress up in a pink fairy outfit to deliver flowers as an intern at minor league baseball game and countless ridiculous things as an intern for the Rangers.

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »

My girlfriend was in one of Seymour Hoffman's recent movies. Synecdoche. She's a dead person in one of the final scenes in the movie. Hoffman practically steps right over her.

Cant believe no one has mentioned Johnny Depp. He's great. I like Ed Norton in some movies also.

I can watch Morgan Freeman all day. He could play Norm Roberts in a horror movie about the worst coach in Big East History and the demise of SJU basketball and I'd like the movie.

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 03:35:50 PM »
Johnny Depp and Ed Norton both awesome actors too. Hmmm its tough to pick one.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 03:41:39 PM »
Johnny Depp has some awful movies, though.  How do you RUIN Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?  The fist was amazing.  "Finding Neverland" was equally as bad. 

Edward Norton is a good actor.  He loses points for "The Hulk," but he was incredible in "Fight Club" and "American History X."

Phillip Seymour Hoffman might have to be my pick right now.  He doesn't have the prototypical leading man looks, but you won't fnd a better actor that can play any role. 

I'm also a big fan of Paul Rudd.  The guy from "I love you, man" and he was the step-brother in "Clueless."  I can't think of a bad movie he's put out.  "Role Models" was hysterical. Jason Bateman is also a good supporting actor. 

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 10:02:56 PM »
When I think of Phil Hoffman I think of....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K2v2XFYg_Q#

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 10:04:04 PM »

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 10:09:18 PM »
Also I wouldn't say Depp was the reason Charlie and Chocolate Factory sucked. They made him into a complete weirdo so whoever directed, did makeup etc. is to blame.

Depp has been in some sick movies. Edward Scissorhands, Donnie Brasco, Blow, Fear and loathing in Las Vegas, Pirates of the Caribbean, and one that might get underrated is Once upon a time in Mexico he was completely badass in.