Nkeruwem (Kerwin) Okoro - G - St. Raymond's - Bronx, NY - IOWA ST.

• 50 replies
Re: Nkeruwem (Kerwin) Okoro - G - St. Raymond's - Bronx, NY
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 01:41:07 AM »
Kerwin fits the Pitt and Zona mold of players. I could see him landing at either spot. He hustles his ass off.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 02:12:27 PM »
Well he was just in Pittsburgh this weekend. How convenient

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »
Jeff Borzello tweeted that a rumor was going around that Okoro verbaled to Iowa St.  Okoro has since denied it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:05:52 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 04:07:45 PM »
If anyone was wondering what NY connection Iowa St has on their staff that they could land Sledge and get in tight with Okoro here is your answer:

Matt Abdelmassih.  Kid is a SJU grad believe it or not and was born in Brooklyn.  Served in an administrative role for Nomr Roberts at SJU.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46662&SPID=4252&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=204950526&Q_SEASON=2011

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:09:45 PM by fordham96 »

Moose

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »
If anyone was wondering what NY connection Iowa St has on their staff that they could land Sledge and get in tight with Okoro here is your answer:

Matt Abdelmassih.  Kid is a SJU grad believe it or not and was born in Brooklyn.  Served in an administrative role for Nomr Roberts at SJU.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=46662&SPID=4252&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=204950526&Q_SEASON=2011

Yeah but ISU has always seemed to pull NY kids even before Matt who has been there what 2-3 yrs?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
NY kids love cows!  :D

gonzalo

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 09:50:10 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/25/kerwin-okoro-has-a-top-3/

Kerwin Okoro, one of the top rising seniors in New York City, says he’s focusing on three schools, including two in the Big East.

“Right now I have offers from Seton Hall, Iowa State and Pittsburgh.”

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 09:26:07 AM »
Verbal to Iowa State per zags.

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 09:29:15 AM »
Per the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/st_ray_okoro_to_iowa_state_xUNtHiGZL5ohEdO2oaJoKO

I know ISU has a nice history of pulling kids from this area but it does appear Matt A is doing some nice work for Hoiberg out there.

gman

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »
Nice quotes from the kid. Sounds like he had his priorities straight

Moose

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 09:56:58 AM »
Per the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/st_ray_okoro_to_iowa_state_xUNtHiGZL5ohEdO2oaJoKO

I know ISU has a nice history of pulling kids from this area but it does appear Matt A is doing some nice work for Hoiberg out there.

Is it me or can you see Matt returning to coach at STJ down the road?

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 10:41:23 AM »
Per the NY Post:

Is it me or can you see Matt returning to coach at STJ down the road?

He'd love nothing more. Matt is one of my best friends and he's certainly making the most of his opportunities.

derk

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
it's still Iowa. If he can get these kids to commit out there he must be a hellluva recruiter. I hope we do see him sometime in the future.

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »
it's still Iowa. If he can get these kids to commit out there he must be a hellluva recruiter. I hope we do see him sometime in the future.
The mother of a future teammate, Allison Niang, said she loved Fred Hoiberg and would've committed to Iowa St. weeks before George did. George was a hell of a pickup for the Cyclones. She found The Mayor to be very genuine. In context, I'm not sure how many others have visited there, but Ames is considered to be a relative cultural capital of Iowa.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 01:20:02 PM »
The mother of a future teammate, Allison Niang, said she loved Fred Hoiberg and would've committed to Iowa St. weeks before George did. George was a hell of a pickup for the Cyclones. She found The Mayor to be very genuine. In context, I'm not sure how many others have visited there, but Ames is considered to be a relative cultural capital of Iowa.
Haven't been to Ames yet, but have friends from there who were very NY-like, actually, back in college. Iowa's flat and boring, but the people are considered to be generally nicer than some from surrounding states - the places I've been in the state are really pleasant (unlike, say, Nebraska or much of Missouri.)

Chilleb

Re: Nkeruwem (Kerwin) Okoro - G - St. Raymond's - Bronx, NY - IOWA ST.
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 08:31:01 PM »
Absolutely fell in love with his kids game tonight. Iowa state has got a steal!! This kid does everything well

Moose

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 08:50:20 PM »
Absolutely fell in love with his kids game tonight. Iowa state has got a steal!! This kid does everything well

Ehhhh

Seen him multiple times and he's never wow'ed me.  Caught between a couple of positions.  High bball iq no question.

Happy

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 09:03:58 PM »

Ehhhh

Seen him multiple times and he's never wow'ed me.  Caught between a couple of positions.  High bball iq no question.

Yea he is a little slow for the 2 and not the tallest 3 .

Chilleb

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 09:12:52 PM »

Ehhhh

He's about 6'4 and played the point tonight and was near flawless , made free throws and converted in transition . Made a habit of beating his man. He's never impressed me till tonight . Maybe it was just a good game but if it was it was a damn good game.