Jaylen Bond - SF - Plymouth-Whitemarsh Sr HS - Plymouth Mtg, PA

• 11 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/08/11/big-east-targets-at-summer-primetime-shootout/

Bond has really burst onto the scene over the past year, for scouts, fans, and college coaches. The big forward’s stock seems to be rising all the time, and he is drawing a lot of high-major interest. Villanova (offer), West Virginia (offer), Florida State (offer), Temple (offer), St. Joseph’s (offer), La Salle (offer), St. John’s (offer), Virginia Commonwealth (offer), Georgia, Kansas, Memphis and Georgetown are all involved in the recruitment of Mr. Bond.

Although he listed four of the Big Five schools, Jaylen is by no means set on staying in the Philadelphia area for his college ball.

“I might, but it depends. . . . It doesn’t really matter to me,” said Bond.

As of now, no schools have jumped out in Bond’s mind, as he has no favorites.

“Not right now. I’m just keeping my options open,” Bond said of his recruitment.

Jaylen Bond is built like someone who could take James Bond in a fight, and that is saying something. A combo forward with a huge frame, broad shoulders, large hands, and big feet, Bond just might have another inch or two in him (then again, he may not, as he has an older brother, Julian Bond ’10, who is only about 6’1). Jaylen is a phenomenal athlete, and for a player his height and build his athleticism is almost unreal. A dunking machine and a one man highlight reel, Bond’s game is actually more than just being a high flier. He can step out and take 15-foot jumpers and is quite comfortable doing so. Though he is not a fantastic rebounder, Bond does grabs boards. He runs the floor well and masks some of his weaknesses with his athleticism, but he does need to work on his overall game, and the improvement will come with time if he puts in the effort. Assuming Bond continues to progress, he has a chance to be special.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Jaylen Bond - SF - Plymouth-Whitemarsh Sr HS - Plymouth Mtg, PA
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 11:48:42 AM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=74206&season=2011&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d74206%26season%3d2011

Evaluation

April, 2009: Bond, a young player, has to continue to work on maturity issues on the floor, as he has a tendency to lose his cool at times on the floor. Bond plays a very active brand of basketball and has good size, though he will have to continue to work on his ball-handling skills as well as his perimeter accuracy and range to make the transition to the wing, in the event that he does not grow anymore. He has very good length coupled with very good leaping ability, which makes him a handful on the offensive boards. He runs the floor well and can finish off the break with a dunk. In the paint, he has a tendency to keep the ball low, which serves to make him smaller and prone to guards coming in and swiping the ball from him. Bond also will have to work on staying under control offensively and not playing too fast, which makes him turnover prone at times.

October, 2008: His game reminds observers of a young version of Miami star and NBA player John Salmons. Ironically, Jalen now attends Salmons' alma mater after transferring from La Salle High in Philadelphia. A blossoming frontcourt player with good athleticism, Bond has great potential because of his hustle, work ethic and basketball IQ.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 01:02:52 PM »
Bond, once committed to Pitt, has opted to reclassify and opt for the 2012 class

kjd01067

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 01:43:53 PM »
Bond, once committed to Pitt, has opted to reclassify and opt for the 2012 class
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/221/page/onthetrail/class/2011

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Pitt signee Jaylen Bond has decided to open up his recruitment and spend a fifth year at a prep school next season.

NYCoffey

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:07:58 PM »
Isn't there some rule that if he backs out after signing an LOI he cannot go to another big east school. I am not very knowledgeable on the recruiting rules, but I remember hearing somthing like this before.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »
Isn't there some rule that if he backs out after signing an LOI he cannot go to another big east school. I am not very knowledgeable on the recruiting rules, but I remember hearing somthing like this before.

There is but I don't think he ever signed.
Remember who broke the Slice news

NYCoffey

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:23:32 PM »
this article says that he signed in November.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:43:46 PM »
this article says that he signed in November.

Gotcha.

NYCoffey

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 02:48:38 PM »
So does that mean that he is not eligible for any big east schools?

Moose

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »
So does that mean that he is not eligible for any big east schools?

Correct.

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 01:45:58 AM »
Birch really impacted this happening. Pitt is just loaded in the front court. Just ask All-American Dante Taylor
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle