Omar Calhoun - G - Christ The King - Middle Village, NY - CONNECTICUT

• 72 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Omar Calhoun - G - Christ The King - Middle Village, NY - CONNECTICUT
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:19:56 AM »
http://villanova.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1053462

Calhoun listed North Carolina, Villanova (offer), Kentucky, UConn, Florida, Louisville (offer), Seton Hall, St. John's (offer), UCLA, and Rutgers (offer).  That list varies slightly from the one his father provided last month, which did not include SHU or RU, but did have Pitt (offer), West Virginia (offer), Arizona, and Syracuse. Calhoun does not have a favorite at this point in time.

"I might decide at . . . the end of the AAU season," said Calhoun. What is it that he is looking for en route to that choice? "I want a good coach, a winning tradition, an academic school, a team that always goes far and has a lot of pros, and where I'm gonna go to an play my first year."

Asked who he tries to base his game after, Calhoun replied, "I try to emulate Kobe, Dwayne Wade, LeBron James, and Carmelo Anthony, to have an all-around repertoire."

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:41:03 AM »
http://villanova.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1053462

Calhoun listed North Carolina, Villanova (offer), Kentucky, UConn, Florida, Louisville (offer), Seton Hall, St. John's (offer), UCLA, and Rutgers (offer).  That list varies slightly from the one his father provided last month, which did not include SHU or RU, but did have Pitt (offer), West Virginia (offer), Arizona, and Syracuse. Calhoun does not have a favorite at this point in time.

"I might decide at . . . the end of the AAU season," said Calhoun. What is it that he is looking for en route to that choice? "I want a good coach, a winning tradition, an academic school, a team that always goes far and has a lot of pros, and where I'm gonna go to an play my first year."
            Asked who he tries to base his game after, Calhoun replied, "I try to emulate Kobe, Dwayne Wade, LeBron James, and Carmelo Anthony, to have an all-around repertoire."

I'd love to have this kid, as he sounds like a heckuva prospect.  But, from the highlighted quote and the schools he's listed (whether, they've offered or not)....  We can forget about it!

Get another coach after the season and then, he might be able to be influenced to stay home.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/06/16/calhoun-picks-up-3-major-offers/#more-35403

Omar Calhoun picked up three major offers on Tuesday, the first day college coaches could call 2012 players.

Calhoun, a 6-foot-4, 185-pound shooting guard from Christ the King, earned offers from Florida, Arizona and Rutgers.

“We had a tremendous day [Tuesday],” Omar Calhoun Sr. said. “We had quite a few calls and Coach Billy Donovan called us and offered Omar personally. We thought that was very important and exciting. We had picked up an offer from Billy Donovan himself.”

Calhoun Sr. said Rutgers assistant Van Macon and Arizona assistant Book Richardson also called to offer.

Calhoun, who plays AAU ball with the New York Gauchos, previously held offers from Villanova, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Louisville and Miami, his father said.

Numerous other schools called Tuesday but have yet to offer, including North Carolina, Providence, Virginia Tech, Miami, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt and Georgetown.

“We don’t have any favorites right now. We’re just wide open,” Omar Sr. said. “We’re just waiting to cut it down after the live period.”

He said Calhoun does plan on visiting Florida in early August for its Elite Camp.

“We anticipate going out to the Florida Elite Camp after the Nationals,” the father said.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

pmg911

Calhoun, who plays AAU ball with the New York Gauchos, previously held offers from Villanova, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Louisville and Miami, his father said.

He is officially off limits to St. John's
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:54:48 AM by pmg911 »

It shouldn't be a problem.  He is class of 2012 which doesn't enroll until September 2012 which is 2 years after Hicks was hired. 

Moose

To echo JumpinJohnny he should be fine being 2012.  What perplexes me more is guys like Jermaine Sanders listing us and Angel Nunez when they are Gaucho's and/or Rice and not allowed by the two year rule.
Remember who broke the Slice news

pmg911

To echo JumpinJohnny he should be fine being 2012.  What perplexes me more is guys like Jermaine Sanders listing us and Angel Nunez when they are Gaucho's and/or Rice and not allowed by the two year rule.

I think you are going to see a player or school challenge this new rule in court very quickly.

Moose

I think you are going to see a player or school challenge this new rule in court very quickly.

Anyone in particular?

Omar Calhoun doesn’t ease into things.

His first year on the varsity at Christ the King, he led the Royals to the CHSAA Class AA intersectional city title and New York State Federation Class AA crown, winning MVP honors in the latter game.

The dynamic 6-foot-3 rising junior returned from a two-month mouth injury in much the same fashion. Calhoun led the host New York Gauchos to the 17U title at the Roundball Classic Friday, earning MVP honors in the title game by scoring 13 points. In his first game back from injury, on Thursday, he scored 27 points; he had 38 in the very next contest.

Calhoun has drawn plenty of attention already, with offers from Villanova, Louisville, Arizona, West Virginia, Virginia, Rutgers, Florida, Pittsburgh and Miami. St. John’s has gotten involved, too. New coach Steve Lavin has spoken recently to Calhoun and his father, Omar Sr. Calhoun’s only scheduled visit is to attend Florida’s Elite Camp in August.

“I still have schools I want offers from,” he said, referring to top-tier programs such as North Carolina, Duke and Kentucky. “I want everybody. I have to have a big July.”

Calhoun plans to cut down his list to between five and eight after his junior year. He doesn’t have any favorites, but he has developed close bonds with the coaching staffs from Villanova, Pittsburgh and Louisville. The head coaches, however, haven't seen Calhoun play in awhile, because of in-season duties. They will shortly.

Said his father: “He’s poised to have a tremendous month.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/christ_the_king_calhoun_poised_for_NBYG7dvZQQpy56klcncitN#ixzz0tHgspuKv

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 01:37:08 AM »
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1102673

Omar Calhoun, SG, New York Gauchos- Highly regarded in his native NYC, the 6-foot-4 junior to be is a wing scorer with good range and the confidence that each shot he takes is going to go down. He forced some things at times against the Oakland Soldiers but also did a nice job of getting to the line during his 31 point outing.

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 10:53:12 PM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/24627976846[/tweet]

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 11:26:55 PM »
You figure we should have a huge advantage with us having Mo Hicks

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 10:53:26 AM »
anyone know if steve was at the open gyn for omar ?

Moose

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 11:19:10 AM »

No he was somewhere else.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 12:58:34 PM »
SOMEWHERE ELSE?........either omar is a lock or steve  has  bigger  fish in his sight

Moose

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »
SOMEWHERE ELSE?........either omar is a lock or steve  has  bigger  fish in his sight

2011 comes before 2012.

Moose

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 01:52:31 PM »

You do also realize that we are in the same city so there are plenty of other chances especially once the season starts when traveling around the country might be an issue.