• 48 replies

Poison

Thoughts on day one of the NIT
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:58:48 PM »
I don't care.

Re: Thoughts on day one of the NIT
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:05:49 AM »
The Big East sucks
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:11:54 AM »
lots of guys getting punched in the balls.

oh, and herb pope is dumb and cost his team the game.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:19:33 AM »
lots of guys getting punched in the balls.

oh, and herb pope is dumb and cost his team the game.

I suppose it was nice to see Bobby Gonzalez embarrass himself on many levels. The fact that he was shorthanded is hysterical.

Talk about karma.

sjd8886

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:51:44 AM »
UNC's perimeter defense is superb   ;D

boo3

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:52:16 AM »
 No one gives a crap-  Its a loser's tournament.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »
First post season play in a long while. I'm looking forward to it.  It would be nice to beat a Memphis on the road.

Tha Kid

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 11:08:40 AM »
First post season play in a long while. I'm looking forward to it.  It would be nice to beat a Memphis on the road.

What about the CBI?  They are both loser's tournaments.

IMO - we haven't participated in the post-season since 2002.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »

if we beat memphis, and norm returns, would it be worth the brief moment of joy?

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »

I don't think so. I don't even think the CBI is a loser's tournament. A lot of teams use this as a spring board for next year. Richmond went from CBI to 7 seed in NCAA. Postseason play and tourneys are always fun. I understand the disappointment in St. John's appearance here when we all want the NCAA but don't diss the tourney because of that.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »

I don't think so. I don't even think the CBI is a loser's tournament. A lot of teams use this as a spring board for next year. Richmond went from CBI to 7 seed in NCAA. Postseason play and tourneys are always fun. I understand the disappointment in St. John's appearance here when we all want the NCAA but don't diss the tourney because of that.

Dave it's a springboard when you have a YOUNG team.  For a team of veterans, it's a loser's tournament.

Sadly, it's the biggest thing they've ever accomplished.

If they lose tonight, with a new coach, they'll really accomplish something next season.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 11:32:41 AM »

What about the CBI?  They are both loser's tournaments.

IMO - we haven't participated in the post-season since 2002.

I don't count the CBI.  It sounds like some obscure economic measure of consumer confidence and I didn't want to play it last year.

The NIT on the other hand is a household name of college tournaments that was once the national championship but has lost it's lustre post NYC basketball scandals and as the NCAA tournament has grown.

I like what the Ncaa has done with it since they bought it (i.e. not letting teams decline, televised selection show, real looking brackets, letting SJU in ;)).  It's a tournament that will be on an upswing unless it's ruined again by the 96 team idea.

P.S.  If you're fortunate enough to reach the final four in the Garden, there is some juice to it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:33:55 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 11:57:29 AM »

Dave it's a springboard when you have a YOUNG team.  For a team of veterans, it's a loser's tournament.

If they lose tonight, with a new coach, they'll really accomplish something next season.

Foad

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 12:06:15 PM »
Postseason play and tourneys are always fun. I understand the disappointment in St. John's appearance here when we all want the NCAA but don't diss the tourney because of that.

I'd rather watch SJ win the NIT championship than watch SJ lose to Wisconsin or Gonzaga the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. Which let's face it has been the choice for the past 50 years or so.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »

We need a new coach, or the cycle will continue, and not just for one more season.
If you love St.John's, you want them to lose tonight. It's for the best.

The University doesn't know it, but that is why their hand must be forced. It's unfortunately come to this.

Tha Kid

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »

THE TOURNEY IS ONLY A SPRINGBOARD FOR YOUNG TEAMS.

Has nothing to do with what you bolded.

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 12:27:12 PM »
I disagree. I don't think its exclusively a springboard for young teams. Potentially for some schools this could be a big step in their program. I don't think the NIT is a loser's tournament. Again I'll reiterate that its disappointing that St. John's didn't make the NCAA this year and I can understand the frustration with being in the NIT.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 12:30:39 PM »
I disagree. I don't think its exclusively a springboard for young teams. Potentially for some schools this could be a big step in their program. I don't think the NIT is a loser's tournament. Again I'll reiterate that its disappointing that St. John's didn't make the NCAA this year and I can understand the frustration with being in the NIT.

Dave, no offense, but I think you're drinking the kool aid. I'm surprised there's any left.
We were 6-12. What post season tournament do we belong in? We finished 13th. We should be going home.

Tha Kid

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 12:36:07 PM »

The top 1/5 of all college basketball teams in the entire country make the NCAA.  What more do you want? The NIT is an outdated part of history that the NCAA hangs onto to make a little more money - nothing more.

If and when the NCAA idiotically expands the tourney to 96, the NIT will be no more.

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 12:47:30 PM »

Dave, no offense, but I think you're drinking the kool aid. I'm surprised there's any left.
We were 6-12. What post season tournament do we belong in? We finished 13th. We should be going home.

Calling the NIT a loser's tournament is wrong. This has NOTHING to do with St. John's being in or out of it. Getting an NIT berth this year is disappointing in my opinion but that shouldn't deem the NIT as a loser's tournament for everyone now.