Dwayne Polee Jr. - PF - Los Angeles, CA - Westchester Senior HS - ST. JOHN'S

• 152 replies

sjd8886

Re: Dwayne Polee Jr. - PF - Los Angeles, CA - Westchester Senior High School
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2010, 11:41:51 PM »
could oregon come in and convince him to hold off on a decision for a week to see another option, yes...could oregon come in and get him to change his mind completely in a week, idk...he says before the visit that he will announce after the visit...well, his minds made up regardless of what he sees at oregon i think

Marillac

He actually is more athletic than Ryan Williams. Is he a better playa? Don't know but he has more height to him and is a real 6'6" small forward. Ryan was 6'2" at best.

I don't think he's a small forward based on the handle I saw of him in the limited video, but I think he will be able to transition to a hybrid eventually.  He runs like a guard and he has some decent two-three bounce moves. 

He is nothing like Ryan Williams.  Ryan was a MAN physically and although they can both jump, Ryan didn't have half the athletic ability/agility/body control that Polee displays. Ryan was a much stiffer player.  He didn't have good hips or show fluid change of motion. 

whens his new announcement date?

Could have his mind made up and wants to take the oregon visit anyway.  ;D

I highly doubt I'd turn down one of those visits.

sjd8886

exactly, and its not like its a hard sell to say to a kid, "hey maybe your mind is made up, but it couldnt hurt to come see this school could it? and worse case scenario you still go wherever it is you've decided, just next week and not this week."

crgreen

Well, you'd think the odds of the kid thinking...
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2010, 04:33:11 PM »
 "Ya know, if that CREIGHTON coach  were only on the west coast, I'd love to play for HIM"  are pretty slim.   

Actually, what are the odds he even knew who Dana Altman WAS before last week?

You know in his 21 years as a head coach Altman has gotten to the NCAA tourney only 1/3 of the time - 7.  Which is exactly the same number of NIT appearances he has....

In 16 years at Creighton, he produced THREE NBA players  (Rodney Buford, Kyle Korver and Anthony Tolliver).    In his 4 years at Kansas State, only 1 (the legendary Askia Jones).  None of his players from Marshall made it.

So if I'm reading the numbers right, his selling point to Polee is "once every 3 years you MIGHT get to the NCAA tourney. But you probably won't win any games - I've been beaten in the first round 5 times out of 7.  I won ONE game each of the other two times.   Oh, and every 5+ years I send one player to the pros - you could be it - the next one's due in 2014!"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Your question, answered, crgreen.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2010/05/boys-basketball-decision-soon-for-dwayne-polee-jr.html

Dwayne Polee Jr., the City Section player of the year from Westchester, should finalize his college choice no later than early next week, his father, Dwayne Sr., said Monday.

Polee was scheduled to return Monday from a recruiting trip to Oregon, then will sit down with his family and make a decision.

He has been considering St. John's, Georgia and UNLV. The hiring of Dana Altman at Oregon caused Polee to also put the Ducks in the mix. His father has known Altman for eight years.

As for a favorite, it's pure speculation. He has visited schools from all different parts of the country. It's probably going to come down to which coach he feels most comfortable with because he's a 6-foot-7 leaper trying to fit in as a wing player at the next level.

sjd8886

that sucks, but the kids gonna do what he wants...idt his father will tell him he has to go there bc the guy is his friend...its a big decision and all the reports said how much he loved his visit here

He was all but wrapped up then altman shows up. What are the chances that a kid from CA dad is friends with the coach at creighton. Are we just that unlucky...

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Obviously, St. John's has a chance; if he was so tight with Altman, the kid would have considered a decent Creighton team.  Also, Polee can't be all that firm in his decision process - he's gone from possibilities of UNLV and UTEP and Georgia to St. John's and Oregon in the running.

Poison

I think he doesn't know what he wants.
What's the hold up here?

Loved to see him and Coker rejected mad shots next year.....keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

I think he doesn't know what he wants.
What's the hold up here?

The kid is making the decision of his life to date.  He was committed to USC since the 8th grade so my guess is he wasn't really looking into schools all that much until Floyd was fired.  Then maybe he was waiting until after his senior year to hopefully increase his stock and then visit schools.  I think it is more reasonable for him to delay his decision than the impatience of some of our fans wanting him to make a decision just so they can say Lavin landed his first recruit.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

Or maybe he's waiting for a school to him and dad as a package deal?

That assessment of Ryan was dead on. He was pretty stiff and this guy Polee is much more athletic. Scary, cause Ryan was a crazy leaper. I played against him in a few tournaments and all I saw was his sneakers in the air. And this kid Polee is way more athletic. Damn!

Dwayne Futuristic Wavey Polee  2010-2011 i will be attending.... St Johns University!
Yesterday at 11:12pm

polee's facebook status

Yesss! These are the kind of athletes we need man. He probably won't play much initially as a freshman, but he has all the tools to grow into a great player in the Big East. Kudos to Lav!
The notion that kids don't wanna come to NY is false, we just needed the right salesman.

Poison

Yesss! These are the kind of athletes we need man. He probably won't play much initially as a freshman, but he has all the tools to grow into a great player in the Big East. Kudos to Lav!
The notion that kids don't wanna come to NY is false, we just needed the right salesman.

POY in LA is a lot more impressive than All Metro 2nd Team :)
No guaranteed starting spots on a 6-12 team.

If he turns out to be as good or even better than his press clippings, we'd be golden with a freshman starting, because it means we wouldn't be so green in 11-12.

And it probably means Lavin has good judgement in terms of evaluating talent.

Yeah, you're right, and the fact that those aren't Lav's guys who are there now, probably does give him a chance to play significant minutes. But if he's able to start as a freshman and contribute significantly on our team, ahead of those who are seasoned at the big east level, then what a get that really is. But it's hard to picture, ahead of Kennedy, Horne or Burrell, I just don't see it, unless he's that good, which we be great!

Poison

How good was Horne? Even as a junior, he often looked like freshman on both ends of the court. The guy is a finisher who rarely finished anything.

I think Horne's best talent is shooting the three. He can be our spot up shooter, and play 10-15 per game. I think that would immediately help the team get better.

Evans, too. Just because we'll have a senior team, doesn't mean we'll have an experienced team. We were juniors last year, but if you watched either Marquette game, it was pretty hard to tell who had the veterans, and who had the rookies.