Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - IONA

• 1080 replies
Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2010, 04:46:09 PM »
Can this kid play with his back to the basket?

After 3 months with Dunlap, I'd venture to say that he'll have a handful of go-to moves with his back to the basket.
You think Dunlap can get him to be a solid option in the paint in 3 months?  Does Pelle already have back to the basket moves? Love his athleticism, but haven't seen much video of him in the halfcourt.

(And if Dunlap could get Pelle useable post moves, maybe he can get Burrell's post moves to be more effective.)
I've never seen him demonstrate a semblance of a back-to-the-basket game. He's not an elite-level scorer, but he's dependent upon on freakish athleticism and his natural height advantage. At this level, he can dominate, but, as he moves up, he'll have to steadily develop his post skills, both low and high. At the next level, initially, I'd anticipate that he'll primarily score off of dish-offs and OR put backs (his primary scoring option now).

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2010, 08:28:05 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5781447

Early signing period predictions

Adam Finkelstein: St. John's will add to its class, With four ESPNU 100 prospects expected to sign this week, coach Steve Lavin has already accomplished more than anyone could have predicted, but with so much momentum don't be surprised to see him add a fifth signature this week. Norvel Pelle (Long Beach, Calif./Price) is one possibility because he will reportedly pick between St. John's and Washington, but you can bet that isn't the only lead the Red Storm are chasing this week, as they still have plenty of scholarships to hand out in 2011.

Joel Francisco: Pelle visited St. John's this weekend, and after talking to numerous sources it appears the Red Storm were the heavy favorites for his signature. However, if Pelle doesn't sign with St. John's during the early signing period, look for Washington, Kansas and possibly UCLA to go all out during the regular season to get back in the race.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
theyll coach him up good so hes a great back to the basketplayer too and he may be the most important recruit yet he should commit to us but anything really could happen but im extremely confident tho

Wods317

« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2010, 10:21:26 PM »
Pelle is needed for the defensive end more than anything especially early in his career. We will need his presence inside on both ends as well as his shot blocking and rebounding. He will get more than his fair share of points on put backs and fast breaks. He can really run the floor and like most big men he is raw offensively.

Marillac

« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »

After 3 months with Dunlap, I'd venture to say that he'll have a handful of go-to moves with his back to the basket.
You think Dunlap can get him to be a solid option in the paint in 3 months?  Does Pelle already have back to the basket moves? Love his athleticism, but haven't seen much video of him in the halfcourt.

(And if Dunlap could get Pelle useable post moves, maybe he can get Burrell's post moves to be more effective.)

I don't think he'll be a consistent scorer, but I do think he'll have a few go-to moves to keep defenders honest.  Becoming that type of scorer will take him a few years--if it ever happens. 

Moose

« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2010, 10:14:20 AM »

I don't think he'll be a consistent scorer, but I do think he'll have a few go-to moves to keep defenders honest.  Becoming that type of scorer will take him a few years--if it ever happens. 

So allow me to play devils advocate.  Why is he such a must get if he might never be a consistent scorer.  Is he a must get strictly for his defensive prowess?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2010, 10:19:11 AM »
A Marcus Camby type?

« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
 :-\major defensive anchor at the basket the likes of whom we have not seen since walter berry.  a perfect compliment to the scorers we have been bringing in.

« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
A Marcus Camby type?

A possibility, Baldi.  Not to mention, Pelle supposedly has a tremendous upside.

Marillac

« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »

So allow me to play devils advocate.  Why is he such a must get if he might never be a consistent scorer.  Is he a must get strictly for his defensive prowess?

I was referring to back-to-the-basket scoring ability.  I think his athleticism alone will enable him to dominate at the college level in terms of put-backs, alley-oops, finishing on the break, and lob passes inside where he catches/and seals his man.  Defensively, he should block a ton of shots.  I just think he fits what we are trying to do better than anyone out there.

Imagine for a second the  wingspan our defensive players will have if we add Pelle and Garrett...they are both freakishly long players.

« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2010, 12:45:07 AM »

I was referring to back-to-the-basket scoring ability.  I think his athleticism alone will enable him to dominate at the college level in terms of put-backs, alley-oops, finishing on the break, and lob passes inside where he catches/and seals his man.  Defensively, he should block a ton of shots.  I just think he fits what we are trying to do better than anyone out there.

Imagine for a second the  wingspan our defensive players will have if we add Pelle and Garrett...they are both freakishly long players.

not to mention harkless sampson and polee all of which are extremely long..its scary marallic
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2010, 01:03:14 AM »
theyre all perfect for lavins system offensively and defensively the words that come up for pointer, sampson, harkless,harrison, and lindseyare either long,athletic, high scoring,shut down defender, shot blocker if not all of those together. pelle and garrett would only add to that in their own ways theyll all get their minutes itll be fun to see all of them running down the court in transition and in the half court offense but also in the zone defense i predict somewhere in the 2012 season is when theyll really start to begin being the team we expect them to be when these guys are halfway thru their sophmore year and jevon thomas is learning at the point and leading them

Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2010, 05:05:46 PM »
Pelle just announced on ESPNU...coming to St. John's!

« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2010, 05:10:07 PM »
This is incredible, this probably moves us ahead of Arkansas.  Did he sign his letter or is he waiting until the Spring?

« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2010, 05:17:54 PM »
He said he was "signing and committing"...I would think we will get the official word in the next day or 2.

boo3

« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2010, 05:18:33 PM »
 Awesome.  This is huge!

« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
He said he was "signing and committing"...I would think we will get the official word in the next day or 2.

Thanks!  The future is looking real bright.

« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2010, 05:24:41 PM »
Welcome to the Red and White

« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »
Great job, once again by the staff.

This is incredible!  This is pure nirvana for us.

« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2010, 05:42:22 PM »
manbearpig says welcome norvelle