Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - IONA

• 1080 replies
Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - IONA
« Reply #1020 on: August 27, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »
I wonder if one of the reasons why Norvel was no longer considering SJU, and vice versa is because the academic requirements at SJU are no cake walk. Iona might be an easier school to coast in.

Some of you guys sound like posters on the Fordham board

Poison

« Reply #1021 on: August 27, 2012, 12:41:41 PM »
I wonder if one of the reasons why Norvel was no longer considering SJU, and vice versa is because the academic requirements at SJU are no cake walk. Iona might be an easier school to coast in.

I'm not trying to poke fun at Iona. I know that SJ has athletes take more classes than other schools do.

« Reply #1022 on: August 27, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »

I'm not trying to poke fun at Iona. I know that SJ has athletes take more classes than other schools do.

Please elaborate

SJU85

« Reply #1023 on: August 27, 2012, 01:39:02 PM »

Please elaborate

NCAA requires that to be eligible to compete among other things you have to be a full-time student with a minimum 12 credit hours per semester and 24 credits a year.  St. John's requires their student athletes to have 30 credits a year, 6 more than the NCAA requires (this was instituted mid to late 80s).  I  believe that the BE as a conference went with a stricter requirement  also.

There is an exception.  If you are in your last term for your degree you can be less than a full-time student as long as you are taking the necessary credits required to earn your degree. Again the school or even the conference can have stricter requirements.

I don't now if Iona adheres to the NCAA or stricter requirements.

Poison

« Reply #1024 on: August 27, 2012, 01:43:12 PM »

Please elaborate

NCAA requires that to be eligible to compete among other things you have to be a full-time student with a minimum 12 credit hours per semester and 24 credits a year.  St. John's requires their student athletes to have 30 credits a year, 6 more than the NCAA requires (this was instituted mid to late 80s).  I  believe that the BE as a conference went with a stricter requirement  also.

There is an exception.  If you are in your last term for your degree you can be less than a full-time student as long as you are taking the necessary credits required to earn your degree. Again the school or even the conference can have stricter requirements.

Thank you. That is what I was referring to.

« Reply #1025 on: August 27, 2012, 03:14:57 PM »

Please elaborate

i imagine this is why our guys take summer courses, to help alleviate some of the in-season pressure.

crgreen

« Reply #1026 on: August 27, 2012, 03:33:58 PM »

Please elaborate

i imagine this is why our guys take summer courses, to help alleviate some of the in-season pressure.

Curious if anyone knows - with the NCAA's new rules allowing some supervised practice during summer months - do players have to be enrolled inn summer school classes to take advantage of the summer coaching?   I'm pretty sure they have to be enrolled in order to participate in these august overseas exhibition excursions (UCLA is in China right now, and two walkons aren't with the team, as they weren't enrolled for summer school).

redslope

« Reply #1027 on: August 27, 2012, 03:44:41 PM »

Curious if anyone knows - with the NCAA's new rules allowing some supervised practice during summer months - do players have to be enrolled inn summer school classes to take advantage of the summer coaching?   I'm pretty sure they have to be enrolled in order to participate in these august overseas exhibition excursions (UCLA is in China right now, and two walkons aren't with the team, as they weren't enrolled for summer school).

walk ons may not be there as they would get benefit (cost of trip/hotels/meals) that was not available to all students.  I remember Phil Missiere saying that when he went from walk on to scholarship, he was now eleigible for meals that were allowed before.

pmg911

« Reply #1028 on: August 27, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »

Most schools make their kids take summer classes...

It is often done so the kids can only take 12 credit during the school year. If they only take 12 credits per semester while in school and play four straight years with out attending summer school,  they will be VERY short of credits to graduate on time. The summer school helps them catch up to be on time to finish in 4 years.

SJU85

« Reply #1029 on: August 27, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »

Most schools make their kids take summer classes...

It is often done so the kids can only take 12 credit during the school year. If they only take 12 credits per semester while in school and play four straight years with out attending summer school,  they will be VERY short of credits to graduate on time. The summer school helps them catch up to be on time to finish in 4 years.

Yes, probably more so in sports that overlap semesters.  Other kids take them to be ahead in credits.  That's where you will hear sometimes of some athletes who graduate in 3 or 3 1/2 years.

« Reply #1030 on: August 27, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »

Ummmmm. Lets not kid ourselves here. Rob Thomas was ILLITERATE until junior year of HS.  And he seemed to do pretty OK. SJU would've given Norvel Pelle every chance and resource to do fine in his classes. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #1031 on: August 27, 2012, 08:59:18 PM »
As I said earlier it is not required to take summer classes but considering kids miss class throughout the season it helps lessen the load.

But the bigger thing it does is it allows the kids to participate in summer workouts that the NCAA allows on a limited basis.  So to cr's point, YES you need to be enrolled to participate in those workouts.  In other words Chris Obekpa cannot be going to campus everyday participating in workouts while going  back home and doing nothing else otherwise.

pmg911

« Reply #1032 on: September 13, 2012, 08:11:50 AM »
Heard last night he was ruled ineligible...

Poison

« Reply #1033 on: September 13, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »

Ummmmm. Lets not kid ourselves here. Rob Thomas was ILLITERATE until junior year of HS.  And he seemed to do pretty
OK. SJU would've given Norvel Pelle every chance and resource to do fine in his classes. 

There is probably a difference between the two in terms of work ethic. Thomas' LD was not his fault. What's wrong with Norvelle that after two attempts he can't get eligible? If there is a legitimate reason, then he should get help dealing with it.

Moose

« Reply #1034 on: September 13, 2012, 08:46:29 AM »

Ummmmm. Lets not kid ourselves here. Rob Thomas was ILLITERATE until junior year of HS.  And he seemed to do pretty
OK. SJU would've given Norvel Pelle every chance and resource to do fine in his classes. 

There is probably a difference between the two in terms of work ethic. Thomas' LD was not his fault. What's wrong with Norvelle that after two attempts he can't get eligible? If there is a legitimate reason, then he should get help dealing with it.

Exactly.  Rob busted his ass.  This kid screwed around.
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #1035 on: September 13, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
Heard last night he was ruled ineligible...

I'm shocked...

« Reply #1036 on: September 13, 2012, 11:22:02 AM »
At least he has his art to fall back on.

« Reply #1037 on: September 13, 2012, 01:11:15 PM »
Don't think we've heard the last of him. Might be a nice Christmas gift

Moose

« Reply #1038 on: September 13, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »

Just like for us last year.

Oh wait that would require him to go to a school as Twitter doesn't count as an accredited course.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #1039 on: September 13, 2012, 01:31:52 PM »

Hope he stays in shape!

http://www.dwsmg.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Santa-is-gonna-sue-me.jpg