SJU33

Re: Norvel Pelle - C - Price High School - Long Beach, CA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »
Looks lazy in that video

Wods317

« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
Looks lazy in that video

He does seem to do a lot of standing around and just asking for the ball instead of moving and getting himself open. The staff will have to change a lot his bad habits.

« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2011, 01:48:47 PM »
I love the fact that he has the ability to use both hands to finish around the rim.
Norvel is a special talent.

TONYD3

« Reply #144 on: February 01, 2011, 08:30:50 PM »
When I was watching the videoI wasn't thinking he was lazy, I couldn't believe the other team would let him stand so close to the basket without a body on him. Thanks MJ, enjoyed the video

« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2011, 08:53:18 AM »
When I was watching the videoI wasn't thinking he was lazy, I couldn't believe the other team would let him stand so close to the basket without a body on him. Thanks MJ, enjoyed the video

No problem, TONY.  I also didn't think he was lazy.  No one was bodying him up, so he really didn't have to work to get the ball.  He raised his hands a couple of times and that is the most you can ask from a guy in the post.  Had he was playing on the perimeter then I would probably say he needs to learn how to move without the ball.

He's very active on the defensive end, so I'd throw the "lazy" term out of the window.  I like that he's also ambidextrous. 

« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2011, 04:56:28 PM »
Price played last night in the Nike Extraganza in Orange County (CA)They played in a game following the Long Beach Poly Bishop Gorman game which was televised on ESPN. I am in capable of finding stats or writeup on game

« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »
Price played last night in the Nike Extraganza in Orange County (CA)They played in a game following the Long Beach Poly Bishop Gorman game which was televised on ESPN. I am in capable of finding stats or writeup on game

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/x5uiSDGlEeCkhgAcxJSkrA/nike-extravaganza-boys--mater-dei-starts,-finishes-fast.htm

Norvel Pelle 3-5 2-4 8
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2011, 11:05:53 AM »
http://lacanadaflintridge.patch.com/articles/boys-hoops-price-presents-tough-challenge-for-la-canada-in-finals

When the third-seeded Spartans step on the floor of the Anaheim Arena in the championship game of the CIF-Southern Section Division 3AA boys basketball playoffs Thursday, they’ll face not one, but two players headed to big time Division I programs next fall.

There’s 6-foot-10 center Norvel Pelle, a five-star prospect and the No. 2 ranked center in the nation according to Rivals.com. Pelle committed to St. John’s in November. Then there’s the matter of 6-foot shooting guard Askia Booker, a three-star recruit headed to Colorado.

« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2011, 06:41:14 PM »
 Phil Greene and Norvel Pelle are participating in Next All-American Classic High School All Star game in Chicago April 3.

« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting (Joel Francisco)....  Pelle was listed amongst his top players out west.

Norvel Pelle, PF (Long Beach, Calif./Price)
In terms of size, length and bounce Pelle is at the top of the charts. However, until he decides he wants to be a player (suspensions, missed practices, etc.) all the physical gifts are meaningless at this point.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6296382

kjd01067

« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting (Joel Francisco)....  Pelle was listed amongst his top players out west.

In terms of size, length and bounce Pelle is at the top of the charts. However, until he decides he wants to be a player (suspensions, missed practices, etc.) all the physical gifts are meaningless at this point.

I think Dunlap can straighten him out!  All kidding aside I think the coaches will have to address the maturation process of the team very closely.  Usually you have older players on a team who can guide the younger players and teach them the ropes.  Next year we really won't have that luxury.  I actually think it would behoove Lavin to keep a guy like Boothe as a graduate assistant, to have a role model on the team that the players could relate to and learn from.

« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
I think Dunlap can straighten him out!  All kidding aside I think the coaches will have to address the maturation process of the team very closely.  Usually you have older players on a team who can guide the younger players and teach them the ropes.  Next year we really won't have that luxury.  I actually think it would behoove Lavin to keep a guy like Boothe as a graduate assistant, to have a role model on the team that the players could relate to and learn from.

Although, Polee will only be a sophomore....  He could've picked up a few valuable lessons from some of the older guys from this past season.  I think Polee could be a sufficient role model to the freshmen.  To be honest, maturation isn't always due to being older.  Yes, it can help in many cases, but that isn't always the case.  Boothe could be a good role model.  I don't disagree with you on that one.  I just feel we'll be alright with our staff and someone like Polee.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:15:20 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »

Like many others, he's had issues with Pelle's behavior. Joel just hasn't been afraid to call him out on it. Pelle's got all the physical tools. The staff is going to have its hands full with some of the personalities, expectations, and playing time.

Quick, somebody cue up a well-edited YouTube video.  ;)

« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2011, 05:50:32 PM »
Interesting you mentioned boothe kjd, bc I've been thinking the same thing regarding DJ.  I'm assuming DJ is going to need to rehab his knee and I was guessing he'd be doing it around here.  DJ could be a great influence on these young guys and show them the way of the big east.

kjd01067

« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »

Although, Polee will only be a sophomore....  He could've picked up a few valuable lessons from some of the older guys from this past season.  I think Polee could be a sufficient role model to the freshmen.  To be honest, maturation isn't always due to being older.  Yes, it can help in many cases, but that isn't always the case.  Boothe could be a good role model.  I don't disagree with you on that one.  I just feel we'll be alright with our staff and someone like Polee.

I agree Polee should be a help and in an interview after the season he already hinted that he is ready to step up and take this role.  I also agree that we have a great staff that will do an excellent job in helping all the new guys.  I have no idea how big of an issue this will be but I think it is something we will have to watch and take note of.

Interesting you mentioned boothe kjd, bc I've been thinking the same thing regarding DJ.  I'm assuming DJ is going to need to rehab his knee and I was guessing he'd be doing it around here.  DJ could be a great influence on these young guys and show them the way of the big east.

I think dj would do a great job as well.  I simply chose boothe because he was a good leader and I don't think he has the talent to play any further in his career (although Lawrence is still playing so there are always opportunities).

« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »
good to see he has an extensive vocabulary. hope he can play better than he can form a complete sentence

« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2011, 02:09:35 PM »
good to see he has an extensive vocabulary. hope he can play better than he can form a complete sentence

You can tell he was just clowning around.  He seems like a fairly intelligent kid the other couple of times I've heard him speak.  Lighten up.