Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2010, 06:56:16 PM »
Im not saying this in a negative way at all but does Sampsons commitment put us out of the running for Pointer and Harris because they are both SFs. Just asking because I don't know college recruiting well enough to know.
It's actually Harrison, but, no, he's a 6'3" scoring guard. Harkless is a 3 and Sampson has played both the 4 and the 3 in hs & AAU, but projects more as a traditional 3 or, if he adds a lot of strength, a face-up 4 in college.

Harrison sees himself as a straightup point.  I can't really argue with him because he reminds me of Scottie Reynolds.  His recruitment will only be helped by the addition of Sampson.

I have to disagree with you on Sampson being a face up four, though. I definitely see where you could get that.  I think he'll be a beast physically--probably 225 by his soph year.  He attacks the rim so well from the perimeter and he'l be a great complement to Harkless' shooting.  I think he could play four if we're running, but I think he will be an NBA SF.

With that written, I'd love to still add Pointer or Garrett.  They both have awesome lateral quickness--and as much as I love Harkless and Sampson--they both appear to be a bit heavy in the feet defensively. 

Harrison is #1 on my wish list.

Sampson may be able to occasionally play some 4 in college.  Here is what NBE had to say about Sampson....

24) JaKarr Sampson ¨C SF/6¡ä7/St. Vincent-St. Mary/OH (uncommitted): Versatile enough to play the one, three and four, he has a superb handle, rebounds the ball and attacks the basket well

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-0916/nbe-post-summer-class-of-2011-top-50/

Per ESPN Recruiting....

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/96497/jakarr-sampson
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:03:52 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2010, 07:21:10 PM »
Im not saying this in a negative way at all but does Sampsons commitment put us out of the running for Pointer and Harris because they are both SFs. Just asking because I don't know college recruiting well enough to know.
It's actually Harrison, but, no, he's a 6'3" scoring guard. Harkless is a 3 and Sampson has played both the 4 and the 3 in hs & AAU, but projects more as a traditional 3 or, if he adds a lot of strength, a face-up 4 in college.

Harrison sees himself as a straightup point.  I can't really argue with him because he reminds me of Scottie Reynolds.  His recruitment will only be helped by the addition of Sampson.

I have to disagree with you on Sampson being a face up four, though. I definitely see where you could get that.  I think he'll be a beast physically--probably 225 by his soph year.  He attacks the rim so well from the perimeter and he'l be a great complement to Harkless' shooting.  I think he could play four if we're running, but I think he will be an NBA SF.

With that written, I'd love to still add Pointer or Garrett.  They both have awesome lateral quickness--and as much as I love Harkless and Sampson--they both appear to be a bit heavy in the feet defensively. 

Harrison is #1 on my wish list.
If I was unclear, I view him as a 3. If he or Lavin wants him to be a long-term face-up four, he's going to have to add a lot of upper-body strength.

Sampson was a match-up problem for 4s on the AAU level with his athleticism and 3s with his size and inside/out game, but I think he's just scratched the surface of his potential.

As for Harrison, my only concern about him was his defensive effort. Offensively, he was able to stand out, both off the catch and the dribble, and be his own man on a team with a future pro in LeBryan Nash. Locally, these guys try to build up Mike Taylor, but, hands down, this kid was better.

kjd01067

« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2010, 07:42:03 PM »

Harrison and Harris are 2 different players.  D'Angelo Harrison is a SG from Texas and Tyler Harris is a SF from Dix Hills, NY just for clarification

« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2010, 07:44:45 PM »
I haven't seen him play but those few videos but it sounds like he might be able to play the 4 at the college level and then move to the 3 at the next level once he improves his outside shot, tightens his handle. 

I'd guess this takes us out of the running for Tyler Harris which I personally don't have a problem with.

Wods317

« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »
Looks like Jakarr is already helping recruit some more players for us.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/09/16/jakarr-sampson-to-st-johns/#more-39705

Sampson said he’s working on having Brewster teammate Naadir Tharpe, a point guard, and Deuce Bello, a shooting guard from Westchester (N.C.) Country Day, join him.

“Deuce Bello texted me,” Sampson said by phone. “I’m gonna try and get him up there. My dude Naadir, I’m gonna try and get him to come.”

« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2010, 10:09:32 PM »
Wow!! Weclocme aboard.....man how things have changed!!! I am soooo excited for the season to start!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »
There are 10 schollies available. One recruit doesn't take us out of the running for much pf anything; it just makes the sales pitch different.  Some players want to know they'll get time, even if they don't start.

« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2010, 10:14:27 PM »
My name is Dan Martin and I am a contributor to JohnnyJungle in the "Over the Airwaves" segment. I just wrote an article on Sampson. Check it out at On Air: The Official Blog of WSJU Sports ---> http://wp.me/pUOir-85

« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2010, 10:49:36 PM »
As a younger fan, this is the first time I can really remember being excited about the team.

« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2010, 11:43:57 PM »
My name is Dan Martin, I am a contributing columnist here on JohnnyJungle and a co-Sports Director at WSJU Radio, the official radio station of St. John's University. Check out my article on Sampson and what he means for St. John's

http://wsjusportsguys.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/jakarr-sampson-becomes-second-to-step-aboard-lavins-ark/

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2010, 09:15:29 AM »
he is a five star on scout, number 23 overall i believe

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2010, 09:17:28 AM »
Welcome Jakarr.

WOW Lavin is getting it done.

gonzalo

« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2010, 03:34:17 AM »
Bienvenido, Jakarr.

Excellent job by Coach Lavin.

« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »
Welcome Mr. Sampson. 

Great start to recruiting...who's next?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »
Great get...when I see Steve Lavin on campus I'm gonna walk to him shake his hand and say you're the man.

« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2010, 01:18:52 PM »
 HERE IT IS an Johnny Jungle  EXCLUSIVE. The 1st interview with the newest member of the St. John's Red Storm family JaKarr Sampson >>> http://bit.ly/asMA1U

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2010, 01:35:09 PM »
Nice interview.  Keep it up!

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2010, 02:27:33 AM »
In NBA 2K11 they have downloadable draft classes, and in the 2013 Draft Jakarr Sampson was a consensus top 5 pick. I took him first overall and dominate with him on my Knicks franchise. :)

« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2010, 11:53:50 AM »
^ that's really amazing

« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2010, 10:01:31 AM »
A blurb on Sampson and the upcoming season at Brewster....

Jakarr Sampson headed east as well and will give Smith an NBA talent at the forward spot. Sampson should improve immensely and add to a physical package that screams NBA potential. “His upside is really unlimited,” says Smith, “he’s excellent in transition obviously and he’s been getting the daily reps on the shooting machine since he got here.” Sampson of course is one of the fantastic pieces in new St. John’s coach Steve Lavins already loaded 2011 class.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-1026/nepsac-power-brewster-academy-stacked-again/