Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
If we get him does that take us out of the running for any other wing prospects since we would have him and already have Mo Harkless?

This is purely just my opinion but I think we'd focus our attention on one more wing (Amir Garret), one PG (Tharpe), and use 2-3 scholarships on big men. I think there will be a few scholarships held over for 2012 guys Omar Calhoun (SG), Jevon Thomas (PG), Kyle Anderson (PG/SG/SF).
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »
I hope they show the announcement soon I can't take much more of this college football garbage.

Wods317

« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »
I agree this college football stuff is brutal. They keep mentioning Tennessee and Jakarr at the same time which is making me nervous for no good reason.

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2010, 05:20:16 PM »
I have ESPNU and yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we got him!!!!!!

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »
Saint John's

kjd01067

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »
YESSSS! Jakarr is a Johnny.  Lavin is the man
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:23:11 PM by kjd01067 »

Wods317

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2010, 05:21:42 PM »
That was nerve racking but that made it all worth it. Seems like a good kid and I think he made an excellent decision. Man this is just unreal after what we have been through the last few years.

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2010, 05:23:31 PM »
I saw the broadcast but couldn't hear. Can anyone transcribe what was said?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2010, 05:24:04 PM »
welcome to NY!!!!!!!

Poison

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2010, 05:24:53 PM »
F yea!!!

Tha Kid

« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2010, 05:26:26 PM »
Move on Kyra Sedgwick, Steve Lavin IS "The Closer."
"I drink and I know things"

Wods317

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2010, 05:26:55 PM »
He just said he heard SJU was good back in the day and he wants to bring that back. He also said that he didn't want to go to a big school and that SJU was a good fit because it was smaller but had a big time basketball program.

kjd01067

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:28:39 PM by kjd01067 »

« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2010, 05:28:41 PM »
Great, Great Get...

Welcome Aboard Jakarr!

Well done Steve, keep the momentum going

« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2010, 05:39:53 PM »
If I'm a true point guard, I'd be calling Steve Lavin right now to ask to play with Sampson and Harkless..

Wods317

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »
Im not saying this in a negative way at all but does Sampsons commitment put us out of the running for Pointer and Harris because they are both SFs. Just asking because I don't know college recruiting well enough to know.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:31:11 PM by Wods317 »

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2010, 06:37:16 PM »
Im not saying this in a negative way at all but does Sampsons commitment put us out of the running for Pointer and Harris because they are both SFs. Just asking because I don't know college recruiting well enough to know.
It's actually Harrison, but, no, he's a 6'3" scoring guard. Harkless is a 3 and Sampson has played both the 4 and the 3 in hs & AAU, but projects more as a traditional 3 or, if he adds a lot of strength, a face-up 4 in college.

Marillac

« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2010, 06:50:49 PM »
It's actually Harrison, but, no, he's a 6'3" scoring guard. Harkless is a 3 and Sampson has played both the 4 and the 3 in hs & AAU, but projects more as a traditional 3 or, if he adds a lot of strength, a face-up 4 in college.

Harrison sees himself as a straightup point.  I can't really argue with him because he reminds me of Scottie Reynolds.  His recruitment will only be helped by the addition of Sampson.

I have to disagree with you on Sampson being a face up four, though. I definitely see where you could get that.  I think he'll be a beast physically--probably 225 by his soph year.  He attacks the rim so well from the perimeter and he'l be a great complement to Harkless' shooting.  I think he could play four if we're running, but I think he will be an NBA SF.

With that written, I'd love to still add Pointer or Garrett.  They both have awesome lateral quickness--and as much as I love Harkless and Sampson--they both appear to be a bit heavy in the feet defensively. 

Harrison is #1 on my wish list.

Wods317

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2010, 06:52:56 PM »

I was talking about Tyler Harris and Dom Pointer because we are in the top 5 for Harris and top 3 for Pointer. I didn't even include Harrison because I figured he won't really be affected.

« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2010, 06:53:22 PM »

Summed up perfectly, Sleaveless One.  Quite frankly, this might put us in a better position to land Harrison.  He may like the idea of playing with quality players, who have the potential to win and win big.

By the way....  Good source, SJU79.   ;)