Savon Goodman - SF - Academy Of The New Church - Philadelphia, PA - UNLV

• 146 replies
Re: Savon Goodman - SF - Academy Of The New Church - Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:06 PM »
Was originally supposed to go to UCLA but things have changed. He'll be Temple bound.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »
Was originally supposed to go to UCLA but things have changed. He'll be Temple bound.

'12 or '13?

DFF6

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »
Update from ESPN Insider:

There are still questions whether Savon Goodman will be eligible for the 2012-13 season. The wing is a former Villanova commit, but decommitted from the Big East program last offseason. While there were rumors Goodman would reclassify to the 2013 class, Goodman reportedly would make a decision in the spring. However, there has not been much heard from the wing, and according to Scout's Evan Daniels, his list continues to burgeon.

Daniels reports that there are several programs involved with Goodman, including West Virginia, Temple and Arizona. One name caught out eye though -- Gonzaga. We have written that the Bulldogs are interested in Mark McLaughlin, and with their reported interest in Goodman, it's clear Mark Few and his coaching staff are looking to add a wing to their 2012 class.

It will be interesting to see if Goodman gains eligibility for next season. If he doesn't, his recruiting picture will likely change; prep school could be an option, as well as a stint at a junior college. Also, there is the possibility Goodman commits to a non-BCS conference (perhaps Conference USA) and sits out the 2012-13 season as a partial non-qualifier.

paultzman

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2012, 01:37:42 PM »
Doubt validity of this, but thought I'd post it.

“@SweetSweetLavin: Around the Recruiting Trail - Savon Goodman http://t.co/UjS1A4bb #stjbb”

Moose

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »
Doubt validity of this, but thought I'd post it.

“@SweetSweetLavin: Around the Recruiting Trail - Savon Goodman http://t.co/UjS1A4bb #stjbb”

Yea pretty certain he is no longer a target.
Remember who broke the Slice news

gman

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
They just ran a 5 minute piece on him on EPSN's elite24 coverage.  Seems like a good kid.  Would have fit in well here, but I feel like we already have Savon's in Amir and Dom.

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »
Supposedly, Rutgers is also hot on his trail
They have a ship open with Biruta transferring out

Poison

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2012, 08:12:33 PM »
We don't need any more threes. It's the one position we are fine at. We need bigs. 3 of them.

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2012, 08:14:55 PM »
If he qualifies for 2012 there should be an investigation.

derk

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »
If he qualifies for 2012 there should be an investigation.

If he signs with us there will be.

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »
Recruit Scoop: 2012 SF Savon Goodman will be visiting Pitt & Missouri over the next few weeks. UCLA is back in the picture & St. John's also called.

paultzman

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2012, 03:23:12 PM »
Doubt we are seriously involved here, could be wrong. I also see a Prep year for him.

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »
Maybe I am wrong, but this kid gives me "Pelle like" feelings, all over the place! Probably enjoying limelight, but not destined to play in 2012.

“@AdamZagoria: Savon Goodman will also visit Seton Hall http://t.co/3eEJe0U8 #shbb”

crgreen

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2012, 09:04:03 PM »
Maybe I am wrong, but this kid gives me "Pelle like" feelings, all over the place! Probably enjoying limelight, but not destined to play in 2012.

“@AdamZagoria: Savon Goodman will also visit Seton Hall http://t.co/3eEJe0U8 #shbb”

Think the only Pelle-like thing is grades.   If he had the grades, this would have been over long ago.   And it's not just a question of NCAA eligibility.  Couple of the schools involved have admissions board standards higher than NCAA minimums, so this might stretch on, at least till all final exams are posted.  Maybe even thru summer school....

The changes seem to be that the kid's worked very hard this semester to bring his grades up, and a couple schools thought to be out of the picture due to academics are back in again.   Apparently Kyle Anderson's been recruiting him hard for UCLA, but I don't think he  can have brought his grades up enuf to get past their admissions board :(

desco80

« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2012, 09:15:28 PM »

This still the word you're hearing Dave?   

Or does SJU have a shot at signing him for 2013?

« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2012, 09:19:54 PM »

Think the only Pelle-like thing is grades.   If he had the grades, this would have been over long ago.   And it's not just a question of NCAA eligibility.  Couple of the schools involved have admissions board standards higher than NCAA minimums, so this might stretch on, at least till all final exams are posted.  Maybe even thru summer school....

The changes seem to be that the kid's worked very hard this semester to bring his grades up, and a couple schools thought to be out of the picture due to academics are back in again.   Apparently Kyle Anderson's been recruiting him hard for UCLA, but I don't think he  can have brought his grades up enuf to get past their admissions board :(

Bingo.  And I agree with Paultzman, I still think he preps and reclassifies to 2013.

crgreen

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2012, 10:12:24 PM »

Bingo.  And I agree with Paultzman, I still think he preps and reclassifies to 2013.

FYI that would put UCLA out of the picture for next year.   Their admissions board doesn't accept 5th year seniors or 5th year prep school guys, UNLESS they were originally fully qualified after 4 years of high school.  Don't have the grades out of high school for UCLA, you have to go the JC route.

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2012, 11:40:47 PM »
According to Zags, Goodman HAS qualified so he would be able to go to UCLA after a year of prep.

crgreen

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2012, 12:12:23 AM »
According to Zags, Goodman HAS qualified so he would be able to go to UCLA after a year of prep.

Again, that's UCLA Board of Admissions "qualified", not simply "NBA qualifie".  From the discussion on the Bruin boards (hey, if you can't get facts from a fan forum...) there's no way he should be able to get UCLA qualified in time.   But stranger things have happened.  In the past players have gotten their grades in order with one year at a JC, not playing ball that year to keep all 4 years eligibility.  The difference for these kids is only 4 years to play 4 in stead of 5.   That's how Steve got 7'0 260 Mike Fey into UCLA in 2002-03.  He was actually part of the 2001 recruiting class.  Went to JC, got the classes and grades he needed, then enrolled.  Did hurt him tho - he could have used a redshirt year - they had Ryan Hollins who was actually IN the 2002 class so both started eligibility as frosh together - so they certainly COULD have.  had that option been available.  The opportunity to redshirt Fey as a soph or Jr. might have meant a title in 2007 - An extra big to match up with Florida's front line in the 2007 final four....Mike has never made the NBA, but he's been a 15pt 7reb guy in a couple of stints in the D-League.  He's twice been the final cut by the Lakers from their preseason roster.

Before those certain someone's rip me for this off topic info - there reason for posting it is, this is the kind of creative way YOUR head coach gets players qualified and into the program.  WITHIN THE RULES.