Mosque near Ground Zero

• 42 replies

pmg911

Mosque near Ground Zero
« on: August 24, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »
I am surprised no one has started this thread...

Would love to hear opinions, thoughts, comments...

While I think everyone has the right to practice their religion, I think its incredible insensative for this group to look to build this mosque at this particular location.

Why there.? Why bring the negative attention to yourself.?

That being said, I don't turst the guy behind the project. Guy is just a shady character in my opinion and he refuses to even talk about the funding for this project. If he wants to build in such a sensative area for so many NYers, make the entire process transparent.

Re: Mosque near Ground Zero
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:46:05 PM »
I survived 9/11 and lost a few friends but I still don't have an issue with the Mosque. Are we assuming that all people who worship in a  Mosque had something to do with the attacks? Any one who prays in a Mosque is some how guilty? I don't understand why they can't have a Mosque in that location. As far as I am concerned not allowing the Mosque means ALL Muslims are somehow guilty or had something to do with the attacks. What's next not allowing any one of Japanese descent in Hawii because of Pearl Harbor. If African Americans were behind the attack would baptist churches not be allowed? If the Pope was behind this project peopled would find a reason to complain because they feel soooo deeply affended. Not many share my opinion but I have no problem with it.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 07:12:09 PM »
Quite a few people share it, Peekskill.  A friend wrote a post on his personal blog you might like: http://ludickid.livejournal.com/958795.html referring to John Wilkes Boothe and his confederate sympathizers.  Islam didn't attack the US.  Radicals did.   

In all seriousness, isn't Park 51 or the Codoba house or whatever it's called supposed to be more than a mosque?  I do think the decision should be put off for a while; it's b-s that politicians are using this to prove their toughness or bonafides.  Are there plans for a church down there as well?  Or to keep it entirely secular (and to maybe get the commemorative junk peddlers away from there?  I'd love that. Pisses me off.)

Also, did you hear about how one of the backers of the Imam who wants to build the mosque is a co-owner of Fox News: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/0821/fox-shareholder-funded-mosque-imam/ ?

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:53:52 PM »
This mosque should be allowed to be built wherever a church is allowed to be built.  Nobody should have the right to block the building of the mosque just as nobody should have the right to block the building of a church or synagogue, no matter where the location. 

I love how many of the opposition of this mosque are also the first to tote the "American values" slogan whenever debating issues, and yet they throw religious freedoms under the bus in this case.  It often seems like people feel we should have a freedom of religion....just as long as its their OWN religion. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:06:32 AM »
I'm more upset with the T-shirt stand selling 9/11 souvenirs outside of the site more than anything.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »
This mosque should be allowed to be built wherever a church is allowed to be built.  Nobody should have the right to block the building of the mosque just as nobody should have the right to block the building of a church or synagogue, no matter where the location. 

I love how many of the opposition of this mosque are also the first to tote the "American values" slogan whenever debating issues, and yet they throw religious freedoms under the bus in this case.  It often seems like people feel we should have a freedom of religion....just as long as its their OWN religion. 

This is not a religious freedom issue.

Its an issue of sensitivity to the familes who were effected by the worst attack on our nations soil.

There is NO talk of erecting a new church in the area around Ground Zero only restoring a historical land mark that was destroyed.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:42:20 PM »
I survived 9/11 and lost a few friends but I still don't have an issue with the Mosque. Are we assuming that all people who worship in a  Mosque had something to do with the attacks? Any one who prays in a Mosque is some how guilty? I don't understand why they can't have a Mosque in that location. As far as I am concerned not allowing the Mosque means ALL Muslims are somehow guilty or had something to do with the attacks. What's next not allowing any one of Japanese descent in Hawii because of Pearl Harbor. If African Americans were behind the attack would baptist churches not be allowed? If the Pope was behind this project peopled would find a reason to complain because they feel soooo deeply affended. Not many share my opinion but I have no problem with it.

I may be wrong, but did the Muslim world ever denounce the 9/11 attacks? What is their stance as a whole? How come they never turned in the guilty parties?

AS for me. I will never forgive and never forget. Take that mosque and shove it up their ass

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 04:04:08 PM »

I may be wrong, but did the Muslim world ever denounce the 9/11 attacks? What is their stance as a whole? How come they never turned in the guilty parties?

AS for me. I will never forgive and never forget. Take that mosque and shove it up their ass
Who would represent the Muslim world?  (There are a lot of Muslims from the US to the Middle East to France to Bosnoa-Herzogovina to China to Malaysia.)  And the attackers themselves were killed or caught... it's Bin Laden that was never captured.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 04:15:14 PM »

Who would represent the Muslim world?  (There are a lot of Muslims from the US to the Middle East to France to Bosnoa-Herzogovina to China to Malaysia.)  And the attackers themselves were killed or caught... it's Bin Laden that was never captured.

Well right now I'd have to say in most people eyes Bin Laden is the Muslim world leader. The silence from that people is telling

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 05:43:02 PM »

Its an issue of sensitivity to the familes who were effected by the worst attack on our nations soil.

There is NO talk of erecting a new church in the area around Ground Zero only restoring a historical land mark that was destroyed.

By people protesting to BLOCKING the building of a church, it is.  In fact, its also a stereotyping issue. I agree that it wouldn't be the best idea on their part for them to build it there, but they should have EVERY right to.  To me, this smells like many Americans still profile and have it out for Muslims.  Very sad.

Also, the thing is 4 blocks away from the site.  How far away from the site do you want them to be allowed to build a place of worship or gathering?? 

I used the church analogy because if a plan comes in to build a church within 4 blocks of the site, I hope the people that protest this will also protest that, otherwise it is religious segregation. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 05:58:15 PM »

By people protesting to BLOCKING the building of a church, it is.  In fact, its also a stereotyping issue. I agree that it wouldn't be the best idea on their part for them to build it there, but they should have EVERY right to.  To me, this smells like many Americans still profile and have it out for Muslims.  Very sad.

Also, the thing is 4 blocks away from the site.  How far away from the site do you want them to be allowed to build a place of worship or gathering?? 

I used the church analogy because if a plan comes in to build a church within 4 blocks of the site, I hope the people that protest this will also protest that, otherwise it is religious segregation. 

Profiling? Yup of course.The Muslim people have brought this upon themselves. Whose fault is it that everytime you hear the word Muslim, you think terrorist? What exactly have they done to improve their image?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 06:18:05 PM »
Whose fault is it that everytime you hear the word Muslim, you think terrorist?
People who think all Muslims are the same?

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 12:29:28 AM »
I just want to remind everyone to respect everyone else's opinions if they may differ from yours. This could get very personal very fast when talking race/religion. Also keep in mind others may be more sensitive than others when talking about this so PLEASE be respectful.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 10:06:02 AM »
Baldi there are millions of muslims in the world, most of whom want nothing to do with bin laden or the extremists.  the end of ramadan where there is a large feast, akin to christmas, may very well fall on sept eleventh this year, and there are many muslims and mosques who plan on toning down their celebrations.  Personally, I think they should celebrate like normal and acknowledge the horror of sept eleventh in their own way, but the fact they are even considering scaling down their christmas-like celebration shows the sensitivitu many muslims have to this issue.  Most muslims in america don't want any attention - esp sept eleventh kind - brought to them.

To say you think terrorist when you think muslim, shows your degree of maturity, sophistication, and intelligence.  Sadly, many americans think like you so you are not alone.

I sympathize with both sides of the mosque argument - pmg and theo have presented good points on both sides.  I have NO sympathy for bigots like certain people here who associate muslims w terrorists.

How long did it take for the catholic church to officially acknowledge the holocaust, or the inquisition?  Did the rest of the world hate all catholics bc of that?  I don't think so.

It truly disturbs me that a sophisticated dicussion on this site could devolve into this where I even feel passionate enough about the ignorance of some posters' opinions and generalizations. I thought we were a better group than that.

- tha kid

PS dave - I agree one hundred percent on the people selling stuff outside the wtc site. That's terrible. 
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »
Baldi there are millions of muslims in the world, most of whom want nothing to do with bin laden or the extremists.  the end of ramadan where there is a large feast, akin to christmas, may very well fall on sept eleventh this year, and there are many muslims and mosques who plan on toning down their celebrations.  Personally, I think they should celebrate like normal and acknowledge the horror of sept eleventh in their own way, but the fact they are even considering scaling down their christmas-like celebration shows the sensitivitu many muslims have to this issue.  Most muslims in america don't want any attention - esp sept eleventh kind - brought to them.

To say you think terrorist when you think muslim, shows your degree of maturity, sophistication, and intelligence.  Sadly, many americans think like you so you are not alone.

I sympathize with both sides of the mosque argument - pmg and theo have presented good points on both sides.  I have NO sympathy for bigots like certain people here who associate muslims w terrorists.

How long did it take for the catholic church to officially acknowledge the holocaust, or the inquisition?  Did the rest of the world hate all catholics bc of that?  I don't think so.

It truly disturbs me that a sophisticated dicussion on this site could devolve into this where I even feel passionate enough about the ignorance of some posters' opinions and generalizations. I thought we were a better group than that.

- tha kid

PS dave - I agree one hundred percent on the people selling stuff outside the wtc site. That's terrible. 

Tell that to my brother who cant breathe anymore and is a shell of his former self, disintegrating day by day- Mentally and physically-and he was 1 of the lucky ones. He happenned to be off that day, but all the guys in his firehouse on duty were brutally murdered by these animals. So I could care less what all the politically correct, hipsters and anyone else who has forgotten and forgave these peoples actions. For me, I will never forgive or forget.

Tha Kid

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »

- tha kid

Tell that to my brother who cant breathe anymore and is a shell of his former self, disintegrating day by day- Mentally and physically-and he was 1 of the lucky ones. He happenned to be off that day, but all the guys in his firehouse on duty were brutally murdered by these animals. So I could care less what all the politically correct, hipsters and anyone else who has forgotten and forgave these peoples actions. For me, I will never forgive or forget.

I'm terribly sorry for your brother and for all of his fellow firemen.  The terrorists and extremist Muslims are an awful group of people who truly are animals.  I now understand why you have trouble accepting the fact that the majority of Muslims are not like that, but I am a conservative and I am able to easily distinguish between Muslims and Al Qaeda.

I have not forgiven the terrorists, nor forgotten.  I also have not forgiven any regular Muslims who TRULY practice Islam which preaches the same things Christianity and Judaism, because there is nothing to forgive them for as they played no role in the September 11th attacks.
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »

Nor should you forgive and forget the actions of the people who attacked our people. Or the a-holes who supported them.  Even the people who didn't go after them as hard as they should have (after the USS Cole bombing in '98, I think).  What happened to the responders, the people in the WTC... it's awful.  Sorry to hear about your brother.

But Muslim people - like black Americans people, like Eastern European immigrants, like American-born Irish - are not one people with one thought, and they're not all responsible.  Extremists are.  I have worked with Muslims who are just as hurt about what happened, because they're Americans too.  It's not about being politically correct, either.

boo3

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
  I don't think the problem is building the Mosque.  It's more the comments that the head of it has made.  He seems to blame America for the attacks and a bunch of other garbage.  This is what i gathered through the media, which, as we know , can be twisted and turned in a multitude of directions.  Its not about religious freedom, its about respect for what happened there.  I was in the North Tower that morning so i have strong feelings about this.   Build it somewhere else. 

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 01:01:11 AM »
  I don't think the problem is building the Mosque.  It's more the comments that the head of it has made.  He seems to blame America for the attacks and a bunch of other garbage.  This is what i gathered through the media, which, as we know , can be twisted and turned in a multitude of directions.  Its not about religious freedom, its about respect for what happened there.  I was in the North Tower that morning so i have strong feelings about this.   Build it somewhere else. 

But by telling them to "build it somewhere else," it IS about their religious freedom. Again I will ask, how far away do you deem acceptable that a mosque should be allowed to be built??

So I guess since we're denying freedoms based on sensitivity to tragic events:

Maybe we should block Christians from building churches near abortion clinics because of the nutcases that go and kill people in them, correct?? Isn't THAT act spurred by RADICALS who believe they are following the way of their scripture??  So I guess there shouldn't be a church built within 4 blocks of those clinics, correct??

boo3

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 10:37:35 AM »
"Maybe we should block Christians from building churches near abortion clinics because of the nutcases that go and kill people in them, correct?? Isn't THAT act spurred by RADICALS who believe they are following the way of their scripture??"

If the head of that particular church made statements to the effect that those abortion doctors had brought violence upon themselves by performing abortions, then maybe they shouldn't build it next to a clinic. Just like Mel Gibson shouldn't open his Nazi pride museum next to a synagogue.  Poor taste.  He has the right to though, no?

Just because someone has the right to do something, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.  There are over 150 mosques in NYC. To build one 2 blocks from the WTC site where the Imam has a shady background, to say the least,  is in poor taste.  You don't agree.  That's fine.   They want to open it on 9/11 as well.  Come on. 

This topic is going nowhere fast. People aren't going to change each others mind. I respect your stance.  I won't have a further comment on it.

Peace....