Amile Jefferson - SF - Friends Central School - Philadelphia, PA - DUKE

• 127 replies
Re: Amile Jefferson - SF - Friends Central School - Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 05:38:08 PM »
From what I've seen, I think Amile could swing minutes at the 3 too - do u agree, MJ?[/quote]

Certainly, purist.  I viewed him as a 3 and 4 when I watched him a couple of weeks ago.

MCNPA

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 05:42:29 PM »
From what I've seen, I think Amile could swing minutes at the 3 too - do u agree, MJ?

Certainly, purist.  I viewed him as a 3 and 4 when I watched him a couple of weeks ago.
[/quote]

Bottom line though is that for SJU those roles cross pretty easily.  I think he comes across as more of a 4 with his around the basket play, especially if he adds some more muscle in college.  In addition, we are more In need of a 4 but Jefferson would create the same mismatches as gathers does at the 4 spot with his skill set.

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »
Bottom line though is that for SJU those roles cross pretty easily.  I think he comes across as more of a 4 with his around the basket play, especially if he adds some more muscle in college.  In addition, we are more In need of a 4 but Jefferson would create the same mismatches as gathers does at the 4 spot with his skill set.

I'd say he's more of a 4, if I had to choose a position for him.  He can also play a bit of 3.  Yes, he would cause mismatches at the 4 ala Gathers.  Gathers will maul you on the blocks, while Jefferson will use a bit more skill.

Both of 'em gets in done in the end.  Just use different ways of getting it done.

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 05:48:15 PM »
From what I've seen, I think Amile could swing minutes at the 3 too - do u agree, MJ?

[/quote]Exactly MJ - I love players that create mismatch problems, and Amile, like Kyle, causes them.

The other big intangible to me is Amile's maturity.  I would place Amile in my top 10 of impressive interviews I've seen from a high school player.  He was clam, reflective, thoughtful in two interviews I saw - what a good kid. And then he gets on the floor and he will not stop or be denied.

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 05:52:54 PM »
My bad from earlier....  It was Savon Goodman playing for the Playaz at the Peach Jam.  I just thought about it.   :idiot2:   LOL 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:53:27 PM by mjdinkins »

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »
With our creative zones and excellent height, length and athleticism, we can easily get away with Sampson or Jefferson at the five because we'd have 6'7 or 6'8 at the forward positions.  I always think you put your best five out there as much as possible in college. 

St. John's could offer Jefferson minutes at three positions which will highlight his versatility to NBA scouts. 

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 06:37:35 PM »
Anyone know when this kid is making his decision?

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »
Is this guy a Jamine Peterson type player?

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Wow, this really came out of left field. I didn't think we were involved at all. Although I did notice on twitter yesterday that Lavin was watching Team Philly. I assumed it was Rysheed Jordan's team. I guess now it was Jefferson he was watching. It would be great to go into Philly and take this kid right from Nova. Give Jay Wright a taste of his own medicine.

MCNPA

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »
Wow, this really came out of left field. I didn't think we were involved at all. Although I did notice on twitter yesterday that Lavin was watching Team Philly. I assumed it was Rysheed Jordan's team. I guess now it was Jefferson he was watching. It would be great to go into Philly and take this kid right from Nova. Give Jay Wright a taste of his own medicine.

You make a good point.  I have zero doubt that Lavin is using Chiles and Nuri to not only work this kid, but also to work on Rysheed Jordan as well.  Simple math:  Lavin+Nuri+Chiles=KA+Amile+Rysheed=awesome ;)

Amile at NBPA Top 100:

http://blip.tv/scoutsfocus/amile-jefferson-is-the-best-scorer-in-2012-nbpa-top-100-scoring-champ-5325485
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:24:09 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »
With our creative zones and excellent height, length and athleticism, we can easily get away with Sampson or Jefferson at the five because we'd have 6'7 or 6'8 at the forward positions.  I always think you put your best five out there as much as possible in college. 

St. John's could offer Jefferson minutes at three positions which will highlight his versatility to NBA scouts. 

totally agree. I think will see a lot of lineups with the combination of Amir, pointer, harkless, and sampson at the 3,4,5
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »
Gman and me saw him play Pointer at Baruch College earlier this year. His HS team is deceiving.  Looking at them it looked like him and nobody else but they zoned QEA and frustrated them.  He was like a lesser Kyle to me.  Not handling point but in terms of court savvy it was the same game.   He reminded me of a young Lance Thomas but he needs some serious weight training to play a good solid 4.  Otherwise he's a 3 in my mind.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »
The biggest thing to come of this is not Amile himself, although he is a terrific talent and would be a great catch albeit a bit of a lonshot now, is that it appears Kyle is working on our side on this.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
The biggest thing to come of this is not Amile himself, although he is a terrific talent and would be a great catch albeit a bit of a lonshot now, is that it appears Kyle is working on our side on this.

That is what struck me right away as well.  I could see why Kyle and Amile would want to play together...both are very similar type players oozing with basketball IQ and savvy.

gman

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 11:01:56 PM »
I don't see any way that he is a 4 in college.  He is not skinny strong like Garnett, he is just plain skinny I mean really skinny.  He has time though.  A good weight coach and diet, but his strength will be a few year project.  With that said, it's a major coup just being involved with him. 

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Foreward Amile Jefferson (2012) was another player who stood out today, especially with Philly’s Finest capping their run in the event with an emphatic victory. Jefferson is an extremely versatile offensive player, and he’s working on become a more consistent perimeter shooter this summer.

While there are reports that St. John’s has offered Jefferson (Steve Lavin did take in the game) he hasn’t heard anything as of yet, although Jefferson did note in our postgame chat that some schools have offered him through his father.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0729/2011-desert-duel-memorial-final-day-recap-nj-playaz-storm-back-for-title/

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2011, 12:12:13 AM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....

Amile Jefferson (Philadelphia/Friends Central)
2012, PF, 6-8, 210 pounds
Jefferson has an all-business approach to the game and competes on both ends of the floor on a consistent basis. He loves to score from the left side of the floor, especially in the low post where he uses quick spin moves and baseline slashes to score on both sides of the rim with either hand with great touch and body control. Jefferson is a very strong rebounder and shot-blocker in and out of his area as well. He must continue to expand his game, but Jefferson plays to his strengths and excels at a high level. He mentioned Louisville, Pittsburgh, NC State, Ohio State, Maryland and Stanford.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6815577/melvin-johnson-highlights-desert-duel

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2011, 03:03:05 AM »
If we land Jefferson and KA, we could have two wholesale substitutions...one offense and one defense lol. 

Nuri-Harrison-Kyle-Harkless-Jefferson

Greene-Garret-Pointer-Sampson-Pelle

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 10:10:39 PM »
Dave-Did both Tony and Rico watch Amile today/tonight?

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 06:46:36 AM »

totally agree. I think will see a lot of lineups with the combination of Amir, pointer, harkless, and sampson at the 3,4,5

That would be a very tough lineup for teams to keep up with.  I think Dunlap really gets crazy this year with his defense.  He said he was holding back last year because the seniors had so much experience with another system.  This squad will be pretty nasty at blocking shots from the weak side.