Thoughts on players being involved in media frenzy

• 13 replies
Thoughts on players being involved in media frenzy
« on: March 02, 2011, 02:30:44 PM »
I'm a little worried about the players being brought into interviews post game, now on radio shows on off days. Is too much exposure a bad thing for them?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

Re: Thoughts on players being involved in media frenzy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »
  I don't think so.  Lavin is a master of the media and trust he knows what he is doing.  These kids have been ignored by the media for 3 years.  I think it's great that they get a chance to get some positive spotlight.  Plus they are seniors.   I doubt the group of freshmen next year will be allowed as much media exposure.   My $.02

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »
  I don't think so.  Lavin is a master of the media and trust he knows what he is doing.  These kids have been ignored by the media for 3 years.  I think it's great that they get a chance to get some positive spotlight.  Plus they are seniors.   I doubt the group of freshmen next year will be allowed as much media exposure.   My $.02

I just don't know if all this attention is good. They aren't in the post season yet. I think its great they are getting exposure just not sure how it is having them involved in with it.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
Not at all.  I think it is great for them, the school and the community.  We as fans, feel we have won so much already, but that is because we are not putting on the uniform and we have been a part of this university whether it is a fan or alumni a lot longer than these kids.   Most of these 9 sr's will never play a meaningful game again after this year so let them stay in the spot light as long as they can.  They know they have not won anything yet and no matter how much press they get involved in, and being that is their last season, I am very confident that these guys know a Big East Title and a tremendous NCAA run is in their Sites.

I will say one thing though, If this happened next year with a freshman class then I could see the glitz and glammor getting in the way but that is where coaching has to step in and limit the amount of face time.  However, for these 9 sr's more power to them and I congratulate Lavin for letting them experience everything they ever hoped and dreamed of.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
We're pretty much just talking about Hardy here.  First Mike'd up with Bruce Beck and now today with Francesa.  It's not all the players are going thru the media tour.  I'm sure Lavin has confidence in Hardy being able to handle it. 
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:25:10 PM »
We're pretty much just talking about Hardy here.  First Mike'd up with Bruce Beck and now today with Francesa.  It's not all the players are going thru the media tour.  I'm sure Lavin has confidence in Hardy being able to handle it. 

Boothe and Burrell were on with Beck.

Burrell was on a radio show.

It's just unusual because they've never done all of this.

kjd01067

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
I think it is a good thing.  This team needs to play with confidence.  Confidence is something Lavin has brought to St. John's.  Half the battle is believing that you can play with the big boys, for the past 3 years these guys felt like they couldn't compete with the top teams in the BE (especially on the road).  Now Lavin has instilled some confidence (swag) in them and they feel like they can beat anyone and that is transferring to their play on the floor. 

Poison

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »
For SJ's, a program that couldn't buy a fan, there is nothing better than the exposure they're getting right now.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »

What were the other shows your talking about?  Were they just interviews on a broadcast with a few questions.  Or a 5-10 minute full interview liked Miked Up on Sunday and today with Francesa.  I haven't seen any heads up on Boothe of JB24 being part of shows.  If it was just a few questions its nothing unusual.  The Hardy spots where he is a feature are unusual for us.  But comes with success.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 08:37:44 PM »

Yea...and they've never won like this either..
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:38:10 PM by JungleFever »

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 12:29:44 AM »

What were the other shows your talking about?  Were they just interviews on a broadcast with a few questions.  Or a 5-10 minute full interview liked Miked Up on Sunday and today with Francesa.  I haven't seen any heads up on Boothe of JB24 being part of shows.  If it was just a few questions its nothing unusual.  The Hardy spots where he is a feature are unusual for us.  But comes with success.

JB was by himself on radio show for about 10-15 min. Hoops in the Sun (HITS)

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 12:30:26 AM »
I think it is a good thing.  This team needs to play with confidence.  Confidence is something Lavin has brought to St. John's.  Half the battle is believing that you can play with the big boys, for the past 3 years these guys felt like they couldn't compete with the top teams in the BE (especially on the road).  Now Lavin has instilled some confidence (swag) in them and they feel like they can beat anyone and that is transferring to their play on the floor. 

Good point. I guess I just want the guys to continue to be hungry and not get to big for their britches.

Tha Kid

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 08:38:37 AM »
 Think this is GREàÞ for thEse seniors!!! They have certainly earned it, and what's the harm?  Either they handle it and continue to do well, or they get a wake up call and lose to SHU or in the be tourney. Big deal. Either way they are ready for ncaa.

They have not only been ignored by the media but by the city and most of our fan base!  Any opp they can get to get our and their name out there is great, imo.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 12:03:18 PM »
Our players are so grateful to be where they are and committed to the team concept that I think there's nothing to fear from this type of exposure. There are no prima donnas or head cases on this squad.

Like us they've been catapulted into a parallel universe - let them enjoy it.