Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR

• 1016 replies

MCNPA

Re: Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2011, 02:41:15 PM »
I've questioned this kid and whether we should pursue, but you can't argue with those type of numbers right there. But how is he getting his offense? Is he just being a bull? Will that work in college?

I think he matched up against Coleman to get those numbers.

More on Gathers from Arizona's scout.com site:

Ricardo Gathers- Gathers was matched up against Albany City Rock and Dejuan Coleman in his second game, and the matchup certainly did not disappoint. Gathers had major problems stopping Coleman in the paint, and was equally ineffective trying to post up Coleman on the offensive end and for the first half Coleman dominated the matchup.

In the second half however, it was a completely different story for Gathers. He stopped trying to post up Coleman and instead started to attack him off the dribble, which led to easy basket after easy basket for him. Defensively, he was more active fronting Coleman and definitely had the better second half of the two players.

Gathers is an ultra-athletic post player whose strength is likely unmatched by anyone on the circuit. When he plays within himself and attacks the basket, there will be few players that will be able to stop him from reaching the rim and getting buckets.

http://arizona.scout.com/2/1075511.html

Nice to read.  Gathers will certainly be much more of a face-up PF and not  5 for us.  Coleman certainly kore of a pure post player.  Gathers causes matchup problems because of is great strength, but is able to put it on the floor and attack the glass like a wing.  I'm liking this kid more all the time.  He just seems extremely effective around the rim both scoring and rebounding.

LJSA

« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2011, 07:24:46 PM »
I haven't seen him or watched a second of footage, but he sounds like Marcus Fizer.

« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2011, 03:39:44 PM »
Guys like Charles Barkley, Adrian Dantley, and Mark Aquirre were NBA all-stars and were very effective inside so Gathers height which is more than these 3 and at the collegiate level will not be a hinderance if the kid is a real player. His bulk, strength and athleticism are much needed and he doesn't have to be Karl Malone to help any program in the country. Besides he is highly rated, wanted by big schools so there should not even be a debate if we should want him. I would take him on FRENCH TOAST as Arthur George Rust Jr. used to say back in the day.

« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »
Gosh, you must have seen him a lot celtic eleven.

Moose

« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2011, 10:04:05 AM »
Rivals recap of Ricardo at the LA edition of EYBL-

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1226857

Ricardo Gathers, PF, Louisiana Select- Bottom line, Gathers puts up big numbers each and every time he takes the court. Everybody knows about his strength and athleticism, but perhaps his skill has been a bit underrated and he's definitely one of the toughest competitors in the country. The powerfully built Louisiana native finished his weekend with 26 and 15 despite being constantly double- and triple-teamed, and mauled around the basket.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2011, 10:43:51 AM »

Ricardo Gathers, PF, Louisiana Select- Bottom line, Gathers puts up big numbers each and every time he takes the court. Everybody knows about his strength and athleticism, but perhaps his skill has been a bit underrated and he's definitely one of the toughest competitors in the country. The powerfully built Louisiana native finished his weekend with 26 and 15 despite being constantly double- and triple-teamed, and mauled around the basket.

Apparently he does not shoot free throws very well though.

« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »

I should get a chance to see him play in another month, as his AAU team advanced to the Peach Jam.  Gathers is a freakin' bull! 

« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2011, 11:08:17 AM »
Gathers is all but locked up. I don't want to say he's coming yet but I'd be shocked if he doesn't commit by sometime in July. St. John's fans can confidently await Gathers' word.

I'd focus all attention on Kyle Anderson as the last piece.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2011, 11:14:58 AM »
Gathers is all but locked up. I don't want to say he's coming yet but I'd be shocked if he doesn't commit by sometime in July. St. John's fans can confidently await Gathers' word.

Wow, that is outstanding news!

Gathers can be a huge piece of a heck of a recruiting class...Jevon, Gathers and Kyle Anderson would be an awesome trio and seem to fit this team going forward incredibly well

Moose

« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »

?

MCNPA

« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »

Fantastic news.  Kid is a beast at PF, a position where he can really make his presence felt on this team.  Add another Top 40 player to the roster.  We'll be waiting impatiently for word.  Steve Lavin is an animal on the recruiting trail.  Somewhere in between fighting cancer and leaping tall buildings, he manages to bring in top players...  Amazing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:32:21 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »

?

Eric Bossi of Rivals noted that his EYBL numbers would be that much better if he shot FT's better.  Apparently he is under 50% for EYBL.

« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »

Lot of buzz that he gave a silent on his visit.  Would be slightly worried if he visited Texas.

BTW-Dave a few months ago you were convinced KA would not be a Johnnie despite the fact that SJU was consistently being mentioned as one of his top schools.  Are you convinced now that it could happen especially if SJU pushes hard enough for the kid?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:00:30 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2011, 12:15:19 PM »

Lot of buzz that he gave a silent on his visit.  Would be slightly worried if he went to Texas.

BTW-Dave a few months ago you were convinced KA would not be a Johnnie despite the fact that SJU was consistently being mentioned as one of his top schools.  Are you convinced now that it could happen especially if SJU pushes hard enough for the kid?

It's possible. Some things that I thought Rutgers was going to do has changed, Seton Hall has no chance imo no matter how hard they try.

It's becoming more realistic than I thought about a month ago with scholarship situation and the staff can invest all of their time into KA. If the staff can't close on him in early signing period than I think they could drop off him and get another PG leaving him out in the cold.

I could see Georgetown making a solid run at him. I'm fairly certain that his AAU teammate Myles Davis will wind up there.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

gman

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2011, 12:30:38 PM »
Give if true. Land Anderson and that is the potential makings of a final four team.

gman

« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2011, 12:31:37 PM »
Meant huge if true

Moose

« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2011, 12:43:46 PM »

Lot of buzz that he gave a silent on his visit.  Would be slightly worried if he went to Texas.

It's possible. Some things that I thought Rutgers was going to do has changed, Seton Hall has no chance imo no matter how hard they try.

It's becoming more realistic than I thought about a month ago with scholarship situation and the staff can invest all of their time into KA. If the staff can't close on him in early signing period than I think they could drop off him and get another PG leaving him out in the cold.

I could see Georgetown making a solid run at him. I'm fairly certain that his AAU teammate Myles Davis will wind up there.

It will come down to us and Gtown with SHU getting the 'mention' like we used to get the last 6 yrs.

jayro

« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »
The way I see it KA is the number one recruit  to land.  Don't care about his dubbed position-PG, PF, PF-whatever-he is a baller and a difference maker where ever he plays, as long as he is on the court-he makes those around him better.

MCNPA

« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2011, 12:57:40 PM »

It will come down to us and Gtown with SHU getting the 'mention' like we used to get the last 6 yrs.

Yeah, unfortunately for the Hall, Willard has taken Norm's seat in the "nice guy that can't compete at this level" spot.  As far as Myles Davis, my prediction is that he'll head to Pitt if Omar Calhoun doesn't get cold feet about Uconn and head there first.  Would LOVE to get Gathers on board and put the press on Anderson after that.

« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »
Meant huge if true

Try the 'modify" button!!!  LOL!!