Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR

• 1016 replies

MCNPA

Re: Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
Not to purposely use another Pitt player as a comparison, but he reminds me a heck of a lot of former Pitt player DeJuan Blair.  Gathers is being called "undersized" as a 6'7" PF but how many guys with his strength and bulk are able to dribble in the open court like he can with the face-up moves he has?  Not many.  He is a PF that really fits well into our running scheme, and has the quickness to move on both the defensive and offensive ends of the court.  We had an undersized PF named Anthony Glover who was pretty good for us.  This kid is a bit taller than Glover with more tools.

Moose

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 10:47:27 AM »
Not to purposely use another Pitt player as a comparison, but he reminds me a heck of a lot of former Pitt player DeJuan Blair.  Gathers is being called "undersized" as a 6'7" PF but how many guys with his strength and bulk are able to dribble in the open court like he can with the face-up moves he has?  Not many.  He is a PF that really fits well into our running scheme, and has the quickness to move on both the defensive and offensive ends of the court.  We had an undersized PF named Anthony Glover who was pretty good for us.  This kid is a bit taller than Glover with more tools.

I said it somewhere either here or Jungle.  He's a more explosive and taller version of Glover.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2011, 11:03:04 AM »

I said it somewhere either here or Jungle.  He's a more explosive and taller version of Glover.

Yeah, exactly why I thought the DeJuan Blair comparison was perfect.  Blair was an undersized PF but had face-up skills.  Gathers is very, very similar.  Both are at least 3-4 inches taller than Glover.

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »
Major difference, as far as I'm aware right now, is that Gather's has working knees, not that the lack of same is hurting Blair's career.  ; )

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2011, 03:24:20 PM »
Blair had extrememly long arms though. something gathers lacks accorinding to espn. I see the comparison though. Craigh smith and Brandon Bass come to mind as well. All three of them were great college players
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
Per Rivals....

Ricardo Gathers (2012, Louisiana Select)- Gathers is always going to be that undersized interior player that causes people to question why he doesn't play football. He is also going to be that player in college that produces night after night and helps his team win. He is a warrior in the paint and is developing a jump hook to help him score over bigger opponents.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1217553

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2011, 02:57:55 AM »
Blair's reach was absurd.  Apparently this kid has "short arms."  I'm not sure how somebody could say that...perhaps having jacked arms makes them look smaller than the beanpoles you usually see playing high school ball?

Moose

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2011, 08:52:38 AM »
Blair had extrememly long arms though. something gathers lacks accorinding to espn. I see the comparison though. Craigh smith and Brandon Bass come to mind as well. All three of them were great college players

Can't see Craig Smith.  Smith was lumbering.  This kid is explosive.

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, Jerome Lane of PITT led the Big East in rebounding both his sophomore and junior seasons and he was 6'6" 230 lbs.  I also think he led the country in rebounding his junior year.  Were his arms long or short?

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2011, 11:47:46 AM »
Gathers is probably more athletic moose, but i wouldnt say smith was a bad athlete
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »
Gathers is probably more athletic moose, but i wouldnt say smith was a bad athlete

No he wasn't a bad athlete.  But from what I recall he was one of those crafty sneaky big men who had unreal wide base.  Gathers seems to feast off transition.  I like the Corliss Williamson comparison someone gave a few weeks back.

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »
How about Jared Sullinger?  Needs to put an inch or two on his frame but seems to have a similar body.

Marillac

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 07:40:16 PM »
LOL no way.  Sullinger can't move at all.  This kid looks very explosive.  Let's just accept the Corliss Williamson reference :)

I also remember Craig Smith being a limited athlete.  He could bang and was a crafty scorer. 

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2011, 09:33:48 PM »
Zags confirmed with Gathers he is due on campus on Thursday:

@AdamZagoria
Adam Zagoria
Ricardo Gathers, the No. 10 PF in the Class of 2012 from Riverside, La., confirmed by text he'll visit St. John's Thursday. #stjbb

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamZagoria/status/68094903720218624

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 09:23:52 AM »
Zags confirmed with Gathers he is due on campus on Thursday:

@AdamZagoria
Adam Zagoria
Ricardo Gathers, the No. 10 PF in the Class of 2012 from Riverside, La., confirmed by text he'll visit St. John's Thursday. #stjbb

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamZagoria/status/68094903720218624

Here's the story: http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/11/gathers-to-visit-st-johns/#more-52151
This is good to hear....

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 10:20:57 AM »
Here is a recent interview on scout.com, I think this was at the EYBL in Dallas.

He mentions SJU among others recruiting him and also mentions the upcoming visit to SJU.  Does say he has the best rapport with the LSU staff as they have tracked him since the 8th grade.  Also said his dream school is Texas, DJ Augustin is from his area so he grew up watching them.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1069599.html

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 10:01:57 PM »
"Dream school is Texas"   :(   vs    "St.John's is home"  :)

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »
Alex Kline also confirms that Gather's is at St. John's today:

"2012 forward Ricardo Gathers of Riverside Academy (LA) is currently on an unofficial visit to St. John's"

http://twitter.com/#!/TheRecruitScoop/status/68709385253294080
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:17:23 PM by kingofk1ngs »

« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »
Do you think that Coach Lavin would accept Gathers verbal if it was offered or do you believe that
Lavin wants to keep his options opened through the summer observation period?

Thanks