Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR

• 1016 replies
Re: Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 11:37:58 PM »
Do you think that Coach Lavin would accept Gathers verbal if it was offered or do you believe that
Lavin wants to keep his options opened through the summer observation period?

Thanks

he would accept it cus if i was ricardo gathers and i said i want to play for you and he said no i would pissed lol
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:38:24 PM by stjchris128 »

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2011, 09:07:23 AM »
Alex Kline also confirms that Gather's is at St. John's today:

"2012 forward Ricardo Gathers of Riverside Academy (LA) is currently on an unofficial visit to St. John's"

http://twitter.com/#!/TheRecruitScoop/status/68709385253294080

Per Zags, actually he flew in yesterday but his visit does not start until today and it appears he is staying for the weekend even though it is an unofficial.

Great news:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/12/sterling-gibbs-gets-his-release-from-maryland/

6-8 Louisiana forward Ricardo Gathers landed in New York Thursday night and begins his unofficial to St. John’s Friday. “The fun doesn’t begin until tomorrow,” he said by text

sju89tr

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2011, 09:23:13 AM »
Do you think that Coach Lavin would accept Gathers verbal if it was offered or do you believe that
Lavin wants to keep his options opened through the summer observation period?

Thanks

Lavin wants him, I believe we have pretty much identified the 2-3 kids he wants from the 2012 class

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2011, 09:14:51 PM »
Gathers is 1 of 3 targets for St. John's. The other being Kyle Anderson and Jevon Thomas.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2011, 09:21:57 PM »
Gathers is 1 of 3 targets for St. John's. The other being Kyle Anderson and Jevon Thomas.
Can Jevon still be a target if he already committed ? I guess until the ink is dry anything is possible

Moose

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »
Theo tweeted that Gathers is making a guest appearance and playing with Juice at is8 this weekend.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »
Theo tweeted that Gathers is making a guest appearance and playing with Juice at is8 this weekend.

So on the same weekend a major 2012 target is visiting all of these out-of-town 2011 recruits (Sampson, Pointer, Garrett) along with NY area guys Harkless and Thomas are also in Queens playing at IS8 allowing Gathers to hang out and ball with possible future teammates???

Can't draw it up better then that.

Marillac

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »

So on the same weekend a major 2012 target is visiting all of these out-of-town 2011 recruits (Sampson, Pointer, Garrett) along with NY area guys Harkless and Thomas are also in Queens playing at IS8 allowing Gathers to hang out and ball with possible future teammates???

Lavin is amazing.  He probably thinks it's too easy with everything St. John's has on its side...sprinkle a little IS8 on top off all that!

VG88

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »

How does IS8 work? Does Lavin call up one of the coaches and say I have a recruit from visiting can get some run with your team? Does Lavin try to get some of his recruits like Harkless and Sampson on the same team?

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2011, 07:28:32 PM »
Lavin has nothing to do with it. This is the way IS8 has operated for years of bringing out of town ringers. Just so happens that St. John's is actually landing these ringers as to years past it was WVU, Pitt, UConn

All the stars just really lined up with these guys playing and Gathers being in town too.

NYCoffey

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2011, 10:10:29 PM »
it sounds like Nate blue is rounding the st johns kids up. Apparently Norvelle Pelle and possibly D'Angelo Harrison are going to be playing on the same team as Mo and Jakarr. Harkless, Sampson, Harrison and Pelle getting some time in would be great.
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/15/st-johns-signees-repping-big-at-is8/#more-52326

NYCoffey

« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »
Here's an interview with Gathers from yesterday. I couldn't quite tell but it sounds like he said he will probably make his decision by next Sunday.

http://www.uconnball.com/content/uconn-ball-interviews-2012-man-beast-ricardo-gathers-62/

kjd01067

« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2011, 11:18:49 AM »
Here's an interview with Gathers from yesterday. I couldn't quite tell but it sounds like he said he will probably make his decision by next Sunday.

For clarification he said next signing period not next Sunday

NYCoffey

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2011, 11:32:19 AM »
Sorry about that. Couldn't quite make it out with the background noise and my crappy speakers.

« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »
Got to see Gathers play on Saturday.  First off, the kid is built like a truck.  He could probably be a high-major linebacker if he chose that route.  He's around 6'6" or so and has the body of Anthony Glover. He definitely needs some work offensively from what I can see.  He would be brought in as a 4 and would really be used on the glass.  We definitely need guys with beef on the frontline because Pelle, Polee, Garrett, etc haven't filled out physically so Gathers would certainly be great to get in that sense.  He doesn't really have an identity or a go-to-move offensively yet, but hopefully that's something he can pick up a bit in the next year before he goes to college.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2011, 05:14:19 PM »
Can Jevon still be a target if he already committed ? I guess until the ink is dry anything is possible

Yes he only verbaled so it would be completely irresponsible of the staff if they didn't continue to recruit him

MCNPA

« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2011, 05:36:12 PM »
Best I've heard, there is still a very good chance Jevon reclassifies for 2013. 

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »
did he finish his visit yet?

Marillac

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2011, 06:48:31 PM »
Lavin has nothing to do with it. This is the way IS8 has operated for years of bringing out of town ringers. Just so happens that St. John's is actually landing these ringers as to years past it was WVU, Pitt, UConn

All the stars just really lined up with these guys playing and Gathers being in town too.

Ringers have been used forever at IS8, but I think it is a bit naive to think that Lavin has NOTHING to do with this.  How would a coach even know that Gathers was on a visit or get his contact info?

How big of a recruiting advantage is IS8 (with a visionary like Lavin) for us to you guys think?  This is a free trip for a kid to come see campus without using an official.