Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR

• 1016 replies

MCNPA

Re: Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2011, 07:19:08 PM »
Lavin has nothing to do with it. This is the way IS8 has operated for years of bringing out of town ringers. Just so happens that St. John's is actually landing these ringers as to years past it was WVU, Pitt, UConn

All the stars just really lined up with these guys playing and Gathers being in town too.

Ringers have been used forever at IS8, but I think it is a bit naive to think that Lavin has NOTHING to do with this.  How would a coach even know that Gathers was on a visit or get his contact info?

How big of a recruiting advantage is IS8 (with a visionary like Lavin) for us to you guys think?  This is a free trip for a kid to come see campus without using an official.

Like I said in another thread, the importance is not only with recruits but with the local AAU guys and handlers.  Lavin builds better relationships locally by doing this stuff, I have no doubt.  In one year Lavin has leveraged many of the local advantages and it has paid off immediately with local recruits. 

« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
does anyone know how his visit went?

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2011, 09:47:34 PM »
Lavin has nothing to do with it. This is the way IS8 has operated for years of bringing out of town ringers. Just so happens that St. John's is actually landing these ringers as to years past it was WVU, Pitt, UConn

All the stars just really lined up with these guys playing and Gathers being in town too.

Ringers have been used forever at IS8, but I think it is a bit naive to think that Lavin has NOTHING to do with this.  How would a coach even know that Gathers was on a visit or get his contact info?

How big of a recruiting advantage is IS8 (with a visionary like Lavin) for us to you guys think?  This is a free trip for a kid to come see campus without using an official.

You know how many other out of state kids are at these games that have no involvement with St. John's? A ton! It's obviously beneficial but it really coincidental
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2011, 09:50:29 PM »
I'll put things in perspective for you a little further. At AAU tourney in Providence 2 weeks ago. PC, RIC, Holy Cross, BC hosted a number of kids who played in the tournament for unofficials. Sure coaches are aware they are in the area but they have NOTHING to do with them going to these events to leverage unofficial visits.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

gonzalo

« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2011, 09:42:34 AM »
Any news of the visit?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »
Boy, I guess no one knows how Gathers' visit went. Not even Rivals with a hastily written "interview".

sju89tr

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
I was told the visit went very well

Moose

« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2011, 11:44:46 AM »
Boy, I guess no one knows how Gathers' visit went. Not even Rivals with a hastily written "interview".

Rivals is so behind the times they don't even have him listing us.
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »

Rivals is so behind the times they don't even have him listing us.
Well, yes, there's that. Someone needs to take over the St. John's Rivals site, carry out a coup.

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »
Per Rivals....

Has Ricardo Gathers been under appreciated?

Throughout the course of the EYBL, perhaps no player has been as consistently productive as Ricardo Gathers. The rising senior has been a rock for Louisiana Select while hauling in a league leading -- and by a wide margin at that -- 12.1 rebounds a game while averaging 19.4 points which is good enough for sixth best in the 40-team EYBL. The 6-foot-6 Gathers is a power broker on the interior who uses his strength advantage and explosive leaping ability to make plays around the rim. He's expanded his jump shooting a bit and improved his ball handling some as well. Gathers is currently ranked No. 35 overall in the class of 2012

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1226114

« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2011, 03:40:07 PM »
really couldnt ask for a  better three man class than Anderson gathers and jevon.

It seems like a legit possibility as well.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2011, 07:49:03 PM »
really couldnt ask for a  better three man class than Anderson gathers and jevon.

Maybe I'm greedy, but I'd love a class of Jevon, Gathers, Anderson and Bernardi if we come up with anoth schollie somewhere.  That class is amazingly versatile, with a bruiser PF, dynamic point forward, stud PG and a gunner.

Moose

« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »

Maybe I'm greedy, but I'd love a class of Jevon, Gathers, Anderson and Bernardi if we come up with anoth schollie somewhere.  That class is amazingly versatile, with a bruiser PF, dynamic point forward, stud PG and a gunner.

And let me guess- you want McGary too :)

MCNPA

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »

And let me guess- you want McGary too :)

I'd love McGary.  He'd be at the top of my list.  I just don't think we're in the running for him.

« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2011, 01:35:49 AM »
Per Rivals....

Ricardo Gathers will get a much longer look on Sunday, but it's impossible to not mention his Saturday performance. The 6-foot-6 beast made key buckets, played tough and was a monster during a 24 point and 21 rebound effort.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1226371

« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »
I've questioned this kid and whether we should pursue, but you can't argue with those type of numbers right there. But how is he getting his offense? Is he just being a bull? Will that work in college?

Moose

« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2011, 11:01:40 AM »
I've questioned this kid and whether we should pursue, but you can't argue with those type of numbers right there. But how is he getting his offense? Is he just being a bull? Will that work in college?

I think he matched up against Coleman to get those numbers.

« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
Per scout.com from yesterday's EYBL session:

Ricardo Gathers, PF, Louisiana Select: He's built like a truck and uses every pound to his advantage with his physical style of play. Gathers doesn't waste his muscle, as he gets the ball and pounds it to the glass, either using his strength to score on a lay-up or going for the dunk, no matter who is in the way, which leads to a lot of trips to the free throw line. He plays hard on defense and is always competing for the rebound. The outside game wasn't really there and it will have to develop in time, but his strength, athleticism and effort make him an incredibly productive basketball player around the hoop.

And then a follow up on his recruitment.  Just a hunch, I think it will come down to SJU and Texas for his services.  Texas if he wants to stay relatively close to home and SJU if he wants the Big East and bright lights of NY:

Ricardo Gathers said the two newest schools to offer him are Cincinnati and Arizona. He's visited St. John's already, says he'll visit Texas in two weeks and would like to visit Syracuse, North Carolina, Arizona and Oregon.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1075515.html

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:02:04 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2011, 02:22:02 PM »

I think he matched up against Coleman to get those numbers.

More on Gathers from Arizona's scout.com site:

Ricardo Gathers- Gathers was matched up against Albany City Rock and Dejuan Coleman in his second game, and the matchup certainly did not disappoint. Gathers had major problems stopping Coleman in the paint, and was equally ineffective trying to post up Coleman on the offensive end and for the first half Coleman dominated the matchup.

In the second half however, it was a completely different story for Gathers. He stopped trying to post up Coleman and instead started to attack him off the dribble, which led to easy basket after easy basket for him. Defensively, he was more active fronting Coleman and definitely had the better second half of the two players.

Gathers is an ultra-athletic post player whose strength is likely unmatched by anyone on the circuit. When he plays within himself and attacks the basket, there will be few players that will be able to stop him from reaching the rim and getting buckets.

http://arizona.scout.com/2/1075511.html

« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »
Coleman is a really big kid. Syracuse seems to be the frontrunner for him. I would not be suprised if hes the biggest big in the bigeast for his whole career. If gathers can be effictive agianst him than thats a good sign.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.