Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR

• 1016 replies

Moose

Re: Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
it will be tough trying to top texas since he said its his dream school on one occasion

Honestly, I believe that is the only reason Texas is still on his list (being his dream school at one point or another).  Remember, we were the "dream school" of guys like Derrick Caracter and Corey Fisher at one point.  In some instances, things can change.  I believe in the end he'll be at St. John's.

Rick Barnes is not Norm Roberts.

Neither is Steve Lavin.   ;)
thats not the point...if he feels strong enough about texas as his dream school then the kid is rick barnes' to lose....it doesnt seem like hes that dead set on texas so its a good sign but im not in the kids head

Man are you ever positive?  ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:45:04 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2011, 06:47:15 PM »
it will be tough trying to top texas since he said its his dream school on one occasion

Honestly, I believe that is the only reason Texas is still on his list (being his dream school at one point or another).  Remember, we were the "dream school" of guys like Derrick Caracter and Corey Fisher at one point.  In some instances, things can change.  I believe in the end he'll be at St. John's.

Rick Barnes is not Norm Roberts.

Neither is Steve Lavin.   ;)
thats not the point...if he feels strong enough about texas as his dream school then the kid is rick barnes' to lose....it doesnt seem like hes that dead set on texas so its a good sign but im not in the kids head

Man are you ever positive?  ;)
lol im positive about i think we have the best chance i just never like to say we'll definitely get him cus i dont wanna jynx it im superstitious like that

ras

« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2011, 07:14:06 PM »
As much as I think and hope  he will end up at SJU, it aint a done deal til he signs on the dotted line.

« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2011, 07:14:48 PM »
reported that Gathers team (w/ Parker) was dominant down low today at the NBA100... they faced Shaq Cleare and some other solid big men.  So Shaq commits to Terps, Gaithers to Storm and I'm estatic!

Moose

« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
As much as I think and hope  he will end up at SJU, it aint a done deal til he signs on the dotted line.

True which means I cringe at this site if a player verbals in July and can't sign till November.  The conspiracy theorists will be in full force :)

redslope

« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »

hopefully he doesn't have a 98 mile per hour fastball

« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »
I wonder where Zags got tipped off about this?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

NYCoffey

« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2011, 08:28:39 PM »
The thing I find curious is that he said that he talked to St. Johns about coming in 2011. Why isn't he talking to Texas about playing in 2011 if he can qualify. I'm probably wrong, but it sounds like a conversation he had with us alone. At least when he brought it up. I'm hoping he comes here whether its 2011 or 2012. but man he would be a huge help in 2011.

« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2011, 01:38:12 AM »
one thing i notice is he mentions in his tweets and interviews now is he really likes the city so thats gonna be  a big plus and obviously all the other stuff he listed that he wants in a school he likes here as well
Coast2CoastHoops.com: Ricardo Gathers Nike EYBL Interview
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:38:48 AM by stjchris128 »

NYCoffey

« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2011, 12:47:59 PM »
Funny stuff on the UCONN board about how many forwards we will have if Gathers comes in 2011. One guys say's we will use them like they do in Hockey, where when one runs by the bench one will pop in and replace him. since there all around the same height no one will notice.

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=342&f=2871&t=7602866

« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »
Here is another update from the NBA Camp.  If you notice when you read/see any recent interview he almost always mentions SJU first in terms of schools he is considering.  Never fails.  I don't think that is a coincidence:

http://recruitingspotlight.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/recruiting-notes-from-the-nbpa-top-100-camp-day-one/

Ricardo Gathers ¦ Rank: #31 ¦ Power Forward ¦ 2012

On the schools recruiting him the hardest: “St. John’s, Syracuse, LSU, Baylor, Texas, Oregon, Cal.”

On who he’s considering: “Them schools definitely… Kansas, Carolina.”

On what he’s looking for: “First is academics, the atmosphere of the school, will I like being on campus. Also a school that will help me expand my game and help me get to the next level.

On which coaching staff he has the best relationship with: “St. John’s and Texas. We are talking constantly and getting to know each other well.”

On his visits to Texas and St. John’s: “They were good. Texas had a beautiful campus. I just love the feeling out there. St. John’s, my aunt lives right across so I get the best of both worlds.”

On planned visits: “One to Arizona in August, one to Oregon in August… and that’s about it.”

On college guys recruiting him: “Nick Johnson, me an him be keeping in contact regularly.”

On which coaching changes have affected his recruitment: “Texas A&M, they have DJ Kennedy now. That really put them on my list.

« Reply #211 on: June 17, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »
Fordham are you hearing anything about Gathers in 2011?  Slim to none or what?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #212 on: June 17, 2011, 06:42:49 PM »
Aunt closeby?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:59:24 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #214 on: June 17, 2011, 09:03:43 PM »
Doesn't say much we don't already know. He verbally confirms he was seriously considering coming in September but has decided not to.  They also say he would be important because they don't see Pelle as a true interior big, though from what I've heard from y'all on this we'll have to disagree.

« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2011, 10:12:19 PM »
Doesn't say much we don't already know. He verbally confirms he was seriously considering coming in September but has decided not to.  They also say he would be important because they don't see Pelle as a true interior big, though from what I've heard from y'all on this we'll have to disagree.

ESPN essentially forces you to pay for a story that they then credit to someone else anyway!!!  LOL!!!

I think chances are less then 50/50 that he plays in 2012.  But I think a final decision will not be made 'til probably next month.

« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2011, 11:29:50 PM »
Yeah, it says that he will remain in the 2012 class and then links the same Zags article where he just says 'most likey 2012'

« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2011, 11:09:20 AM »
Friday Afternoon Standouts

Ricardo Gathers, Louisiana Select, Heat - In a lopsided 93-69 victory over Andre Drummond's Mavericks, Gathers was one of five players on his team in double-figures, netting 14 points with a physical style of play no forwards can handle. His huge base and knack for finishing around the rim were impressive, especially considering he was doing so with the likes of Drummond on the opposing team. This summer Gathers has made big strides to quiet doubters who think he doesn't have the upside at the next level. One thing is for sure, Gathers will make it happen.

http://www.fivestarbasketball.com/articles/06-17-2011-nbpa-top-100-friday-update-1

« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2011, 03:32:04 PM »
Per scout.com from the NBAPA:

Ricardo Gathers, PF – Freak of nature is the only way to describe Gathers. He is built like an NFL defensive end, and has the speed to beat any player up and down the floor. Now in the evening session he did get blocked a few times, but still Gathers scored in transition and was very impressive on the glass. He is a kid who coaches would love to go to battle with.

And again notice who he lists first:

Ricardo Gathers noted St. John’s, Syracuse, Texas, Arizona, Oregon, Cal, and LSU.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1080531.html

« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2011, 01:46:31 PM »
Per ESPN Recruiting....

Ricardo Gathers (Laplace, La./ Riverside)
2012, PF, 6-7, 250 pounds
He is a big, strong, athletic beast on the basketball court who fast in transition. He scores facing the basket inside 15 feet and will be a high-major recruit who will impact games from Day 1 with his strong body and active game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6677911