Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR

• 1016 replies

MCNPA

Re: Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA
« Reply #620 on: December 21, 2011, 02:08:53 AM »
someone posted on twitter that tony chiles was watching Gathers again tonight.

i didn't see chiles at the fordham game and i suspect that he'll likely miss more games as the season progresses.  expect him to be on the road a lot this year.

I was looking for him and didnt see him on the bench.
Was he really not at the Fordham game?

I'd rather Chiles out working on Gathers.

« Reply #621 on: December 21, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
Chiles was not at Fordham game. He was in Florida since last Friday believe when Sina vs Gathers took place. As of last night he was still in Florida watching Gathers, Mater Dei, etc..

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:05:46 AM by jmattera83 »

uwsfan

« Reply #622 on: December 21, 2011, 05:07:39 PM »
Unfortunately i have to say that i agree with the posters who are no longer confident Gathers will come here.

I think we will be seeing him siting on the end of the bench at Duke or Kentucky next year instead of starting for St johns
Doubt he will be sitting at the end of anyone's bench next season and that would include the NJ Nets.

The kid is barley 6-7. he will struggle a bit to adjust and will never be a good defender on D-1 college nor NBA level. Which is why honestly, i prefer Jakarr.

Oh and he would most definately be on end of bench as a frosh at Duke or Kentucky.  He will develop into a good NBA backup but unless he can transition to the 3 like Michael Beasley, he will never start as a pro.

« Reply #623 on: December 21, 2011, 05:38:10 PM »
Unfortunately i have to say that i agree with the posters who are no longer confident Gathers will come here.

I think we will be seeing him siting on the end of the bench at Duke or Kentucky next year instead of starting for St johns
Doubt he will be sitting at the end of anyone's bench next season and that would include the NJ Nets.

The kid is barley 6-7. he will struggle a bit to adjust and will never be a good defender on D-1 college nor NBA level. Which is why honestly, i prefer Jakarr.

Oh and he would most definately be on end of bench as a frosh at Duke or Kentucky.  He will develop into a good NBA backup but unless he can transition to the 3 like Michael Beasley, he will never start as a pro.

I think he could be a good defensive player. Remember how good Dejuan Blair was at d'ing up in the post albeit he had ridiculously long arms, I think gathers could do the same.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

DFF6

« Reply #624 on: December 21, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »

I think he could be a good defensive player. Remember how good Dejuan Blair was at d'ing up in the post albeit he had ridiculously long arms, I think gathers could do the same.

I have read that the "bad rap" on Gathers is that he has short arms, and that while he may be a man among boys in high school ball, in the NBA, he'll be no bigger than anyone else playing PF.  That said, I would still love to have him here.

MCNPA

« Reply #625 on: December 21, 2011, 06:15:27 PM »

I want all of Obekpa, gathers and Jakarr or any combination we can get.  All are totally different and valuable in their own right. 

I have read that the "bad rap" on Gathers is that he has short arms, and that while he may be a man among boys in high school ball, in the NBA, he'll be no bigger than anyone else playing PF.  That said, I would still love to have him here.

« Reply #626 on: December 21, 2011, 06:51:22 PM »
Slow down, gotta make it to college before we start talking NBA

« Reply #627 on: December 21, 2011, 11:23:50 PM »
I mentioned the Nets-I said nothing about the NBA. :)

kob24

« Reply #628 on: December 23, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »
who cares..... i didnt get my jordan 11's because my stupid wife couldnt take 1 day off of work to watch the kids so i could wait in line. im so freaking pissed right now i dont care about anything. U HEAR ME ANYTHING DAMN A RICARDO GATHERS. THAT BASTARD PROBABLY GOT A PAIR OF MY SHOES THAT SON OF A BITCH.

Moose

« Reply #629 on: December 23, 2011, 01:17:47 PM »
who cares..... i didnt get my jordan 11's because my stupid wife couldnt take 1 day off of work to watch the kids so i could wait in line. im so freaking pissed right now i dont care about anything. U HEAR ME ANYTHING DAMN A RICARDO GATHERS. THAT BASTARD PROBABLY GOT A PAIR OF MY SHOES THAT SON OF A BITCH.

If you can guarantee Gathers comes here I will buy you a pair :)
What size?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #630 on: December 23, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »
Let's be honest.  If you had an offer to play at Duke or St. John's, which one would you choose?

As much as I'd love to see Gathers end up here, that quote is basically writing us off.  We're not an elite school (academically or athletically) and it's next to impossible to compete against the likes of those powerhouses.  Again, I hope he changes his mind, but the odds are definitely not in our favor.

« Reply #631 on: December 23, 2011, 01:26:10 PM »
Let's be honest.  If you had an offer to play at Duke or St. John's, which one would you choose?

As much as I'd love to see Gathers end up here, that quote is basically writing us off.  We're not an elite school (academically or athletically) and it's next to impossible to compete against the likes of those powerhouses.  Again, I hope he changes his mind, but the odds are definitely not in our favor.

And the ACC will take over as top hoops conference. He'll want to play with the best

« Reply #632 on: December 23, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »

Nothing wrong choosing Duke how ever we aren't some scrub school. He could come to STJ and play right away or go to Duke and most likely ride pine his freshmen year. 

mkras99

« Reply #633 on: December 23, 2011, 02:32:01 PM »

http://deadspin.com/5870837/

LJSA

« Reply #634 on: December 23, 2011, 02:50:30 PM »

And that, in a nutshell, is why Dominic Artis left Richmond to go play at Findlay.

Moose

« Reply #635 on: December 23, 2011, 03:55:16 PM »

I found a lot of Jordan's shoes revolting over the years but thats a pretty damn nice shoe.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #636 on: December 23, 2011, 05:49:28 PM »

And the ACC will take over as top hoops conference. He'll want to play with the best

******you just cannot help yourself!  The Big East will be the same as this year NEXT year and will be one of the top 3 BB conferences.  What makes you think in 2014 they will not be top 3? Gathers is Duke's 3rd option after Parker and Muhammad!  If he is that good a student best of luck to him. We at SJ will get 2 or 3 really good players to compliment the 6 we have already.  I cannot say the same about Iona.

« Reply #637 on: December 23, 2011, 05:56:11 PM »

******you just cannot help yourself!  The Big East will be the same as this year NEXT year and will be one of the top 3 BB conferences.  What makes you think in 2014 they will not be top 3? Gathers is Duke's 3rd option after Parker and Muhammad!  If he is that good a student best of luck to him. We at SJ will get 2 or 3 really good players to compliment the 6 we have already.  I cannot say the same about Iona.

Cant help myself? You think the Big East will be better than the ACC when Cuse and Pitt join?

And why must you always harp on Iona?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 05:57:03 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #638 on: December 23, 2011, 06:45:12 PM »

Cant help myself? You think the Big East will be better than the ACC when Cuse and Pitt join?

First of all......I mention Iona for your pleasure.....and next year ......displeasure!
Second, If you can predict the college basketball power rankings for 2014, you are much smarter than you give yourself credit for.
Third, you are assuming JB will still be coaching Cuse in 2014 after all the sh*t hits the fan.....it is not even close to being over.
Fourth, by 2014.... For all we know, Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, Houston, and Louisville can all be as good as their ACC equivalents...or should I say Big East South.
But who am I to argue with such a Nostradamus ??????

Oh, and by the way, Iona will still be in the MAAC and still be a little shittey school with 3000 O'Brien's on 35 little acres and a mule.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:47:38 PM by Beach Bum »

« Reply #639 on: December 23, 2011, 06:52:39 PM »

First of all......I mention Iona for your pleasure.....and next year ......displeasure!
Second, If you can predict the college basketball power rankings for 2014, you are much smarter than you give yourself credit for.
Third, you are assuming JB will still be coaching Cuse in 2014 after all the sh*t hits the fan.....it is not even close to being over.
Fourth, by 2014.... For all we know, Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, Houston, and Louisville can all be as good as their ACC equivalents...or should I say Big East South.
But who am I to argue with such a Nostradamus ??????

Iona will be fine in the next few years, definitely a step back with Machado and Glover gone. But Cluess and Grasso will have them at the top of the MAAC every year imo. Who wouldnt want to play for them?

I too, was figuring Rutgers and UConn would be gone shortly as well. Its not a knock on the league saying they wouldnt be the best, considering who is leaving. Its a shame football is killing the Big East. I guess we can say Notre Dame has a big f you in this not joing the conference in football