Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR

• 1016 replies
Re: Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA
« Reply #640 on: December 23, 2011, 07:15:57 PM »
Let's be honest.  If you had an offer to play at Duke or St. John's, which one would you choose?

As much as I'd love to see Gathers end up here, that quote is basically writing us off.  We're not an elite school (academically or athletically) and it's next to impossible to compete against the likes of those powerhouses.  Again, I hope he changes his mind, but the odds are definitely not in our favor.

And the ACC will take over as top hoops conference. He'll want to play with the best

******you just cannot help yourself!  The Big East will be the same as this year NEXT year and will be one of the top 3 BB conferences.  What makes you think in 2014 they will not be top 3? Gathers is Duke's 3rd option after Parker and Muhammad!  If he is that good a student best of luck to him. We at SJ will get 2 or 3 really good players to compliment the 6 we have already.  I cannot say the same about Iona.

Cant help myself? You think the Big East will be better than the ACC when Cuse and Pitt join?

And why must you always harp on Iona?

First of all......I mention Iona for your pleasure.....and next year ......displeasure!
Second, If you can predict the college basketball power rankings for 2014, you are much smarter than you give yourself credit for.
Third, you are assuming JB will still be coaching Cuse in 2014 after all the sh*t hits the fan.....it is not even close to being over.
Fourth, by 2014.... For all we know, Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, Houston, and Louisville can all be as good as their ACC equivalents...or should I say Big East South.
But who am I to argue with such a Nostradamus ??????

Iona will be fine in the next few years, definitely a step back with Machado and Glover gone. But Cluess and Grasso will have them at the top of the MAAC every year imo. Who wouldnt want to play for them?

I too, was figuring Rutgers and UConn would be gone shortly as well. Its not a knock on the league saying they wouldnt be the best, considering who is leaving. Its a shame football is killing the Big East. I guess we can say Notre Dame has a big f you in this not joing the conference in football

I left RU and Uconn off because I hate them and will never give them any props. I will be surprised if Calhoun is coaching in 2014 and the RU coach will have self-destructed by them. They will both suck in FB and if JC leaves, maybe BB too by 2015.....the first year they would be eiigible to leave the Big East.

So you see, the Big East will basically be AS IS through 2014 and 2015 will be anyone's guess. It will now cost $10 million to leave...27 months notice.....and maybe soon...TV rights. As far as playing for Cluess....I wouldn't want to play for him as he has a hard edge and is anything but personable. He is the anti-Lav.

boo3

« Reply #641 on: December 23, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »
 Cluess and Lavs definitely have different coaching styles.  Both proven winners. Lavs at the highest level ( not counting NBA).  IMO, a matter of time till Cluess is heading a major Div 1 school in a major conference.   Some kids excel under the "tough", brash coaching style. other wilt away.  Depends on the kid.  Bobby Knight, was , and still is, a total jerk-off, yet kids and parents were dying to play for him.  No one method or style is right. All that matters is that you win and you do it the right way.

« Reply #642 on: December 23, 2011, 08:25:18 PM »
Cluess and Lavs definitely have different coaching styles.  Both proven winners. Lavs at the highest level ( not counting NBA).  IMO, a matter of time till Cluess is heading a major Div 1 school in a major conference.   Some kids excel under the "tough", brash coaching style. other wilt away.  Depends on the kid.  Bobby Knight, was , and still is, a total jerk-off, yet kids and parents were dying to play for him.  No one method or style is right. All that matters is that you win and you do it the right way.

Cluess' style is shoot if youre open, from anywhere. If you have the ball with 20 seconds left on the shot clock something went wrong. St Johns made  a great hire in Lavin, as did Iona and Manhattan in Masiello. The only fck up locally was Fordham with Pecora imo. Boo,Cluess might be too old to move to the major college jobs, at least thats what Iona fans like to think. If he does,Grasso is waiting.

What a shame it is to see the Big East being torn apart for Football reasons

MCNPA

« Reply #643 on: December 23, 2011, 09:56:05 PM »
If we could land Gathers and somebody get rid of Baldi from this site, it would really make my Christmas!

« Reply #644 on: December 23, 2011, 09:58:42 PM »
If we could land Gathers and somebody get rid of Baldi from this site, it would really make my Christmas!

Not sure why you guys hate me so much.

But whats more likely, Gathers coming or me rid of this site?

MCNPA

« Reply #645 on: December 23, 2011, 10:08:11 PM »

Nobody hates you.  Hate is a strong word.  Just extremely irritating to have an Iona flamer here as a mod who continues to denigrate SJU and push negative rumors.  Some might question your loyalties.  I'm sorry to say that most of your posts are a turn-off for SJU fans visiting this forum.  Who wants to come to this board and read a mod spew the negatives of SJU and the positives of Iona all day?  C'mon...

« Reply #646 on: December 23, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »

Nobody hates you.  Hate is a strong word.  Just extremely irritating to have an Iona flamer here as a mod who continues to denigrate SJU and push negative rumors.  Some might question your loyalties.  I'm sorry to say that most of your posts are a turn-off for SJU fans visiting this forum.  Who wants to come to this board and read a mod spew the negatives of SJU and the positives of Iona all day?  C'mon...

Didnt want to make a big deal out of this, but Im not a mod. I grew up a St Johns fan, but went to school at Iona. If the 2 played each other, my head would explode

« Reply #647 on: December 23, 2011, 10:42:47 PM »

Didnt want to make a big deal out of this, but Im not a mod. I grew up a St Johns fan, but went to school at Iona. If the 2 played each other, my head would explode

MCPNA is right.. You have been unbearable the last few months..  Might have been funny for a while, but has gotten really old.

« Reply #648 on: December 23, 2011, 10:48:48 PM »
1. Chiles was in Florida and its not uncommon practice for assistants to be on the road in December and miss games.
2. Lay off Baldi. He's excited about Iona and rightfully so. They're awesome this year and he's always posted about them and St. John's its just people are finally paying attention to it.
3. ACC is definitely becoming a superior conference with addition of Cuse and Pitt. That's a fact. So what?
4. Gathers is going to sign late in the spring. St. John's is more in the mix than any other school. What happened to everyone's confidence lately? Relax.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #649 on: December 23, 2011, 10:56:34 PM »
1. Chiles was in Florida and its not uncommon practice for assistants to be on the road in December and miss games.
2. Lay off Baldi. He's excited about Iona and rightfully so. They're awesome this year and he's always posted about them and St. John's its just people are finally paying attention to it.
3. ACC is definitely becoming a superior conference with addition of Cuse and Pitt. That's a fact. So what?
4. Gathers is going to sign late in the spring. St. John's is more in the mix than any other school. What happened to everyone's confidence lately? Relax.
Where Baldi loses credibility is he was on here basically defending Norm till the end of the time.

Sure people got carried away with some of the blame with Norm but Baldi doesn't give Lavin nearly as much slack. And Lavin deserves some hits also like all the kids at Rise etc but while Baldi might rightfully be pointing out some blame that Lavin deserves he never did that with Norm

I still don't think Baldi answered my question. Who would have won more games last year. Norm or Lavin.

« Reply #650 on: December 23, 2011, 11:04:05 PM »
I liked Norm because he wasnt Jarvis. He gaves us guys we could root for. Guys like Paris Horne,Burrell etc. Guys like Sean Evans.  But I did answer your question, Lavin pulled them together.  Ceiling with Norm was 1st round loss in tourny

« Reply #651 on: December 23, 2011, 11:08:49 PM »
I liked Norm because he wasnt Jarvis. He gaves us guys we could root for. Guys like Paris Horne,Burrell etc. Guys like Sean Evans.  But I did answer your question, Lavin pulled them together.  Ceiling with Norm was 1st round loss in tourny
The NIT tourney.

No way Norm would have beaten Duke,Gtown,Pitt,Uconn etc last year.

We had the best run over 1-2 months I had seen since Jarvis in the beginning. Norm's best was 2 games in a row

« Reply #652 on: December 23, 2011, 11:13:45 PM »
The NIT tourney.

We had the best run over 1-2 months I had seen since Jarvis in the beginning. Norm's best was 2 games in a row

We won those game with Norm's guys. Polee didnt see a minute in 2nd half.  A team with 9 seniors, who have been thru hell and back. Realfan,mjmaher or Baldi could have coached them to the tourney

« Reply #653 on: December 23, 2011, 11:22:55 PM »
The NIT tourney.

A team with 9 seniors, who have been thru hell and back. Realfan,mjmaher or Baldi could have coached them to the tourney

Baldi here is where you lose credibility again.

« Reply #654 on: December 23, 2011, 11:27:32 PM »
The NIT tourney.

A team with 9 seniors, who have been thru hell and back. Realfan,mjmaher or Baldi could have coached them to the tourney

Yoou dont think Lavin stepped into a great situation?  Some coaches would love walking into a senior laden team with schollies to give and bring in their own guys. Hell he got rid of Omari,lost Polee and asked Stith to go. This mess could have been diverted

« Reply #655 on: December 23, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »

This is true, as I remember Freddie Q. doing the same during Norm's tenure at St. John's.  Like you stated, it's not uncommon practice, so I'm sure it happens all throughout college hoops.

Why should folks lay off him?  Heck!  You're even wearing thin of his antics.  Baldi can still be funny at times, and he never was problem in my eyes at one point, but the act has gotten old and stale.

Agree.

Most of us know we're still in the mix, but I personally have reservations due to his brother handling his recruitment.  Again....  Just my opinion.  Hopefully, Gathers decides to commit to the Johnnies once again.  I, can possibly see a pretty good team shaping up next season.

« Reply #656 on: December 23, 2011, 11:35:01 PM »
The NIT tourney.

Yoou dont think Lavin stepped into a great situation?  Some coaches would love walking into a senior laden team with schollies to give and bring in their own guys. Hell he got rid of Omari,lost Polee and asked Stith to go. This mess could have been diverted

No. You wrong Baldi.

The group was undisciplined on the court.
They couldnt close out games.
They couldnt compete on the road.
They were all put in the wrong roles.
Quite frank, it was a miracle job coachin them to that much success last year.
Best believe.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #657 on: December 23, 2011, 11:36:11 PM »
The NIT tourney.

The same senior laden team that had never came close to tasting any form of winning in the Big East.  A roster full of guys who had never won in their years on the team. 

Believe it or not, a load of scholarships like Lavin had at his disposal can also be a hinderance, as well, as we saw it could be.  It can be good and bad.

« Reply #658 on: December 23, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »
The NIT tourney.

No. You wrong Baldi.

The group was undisciplined on the court.
They couldnt close out games.
They couldnt compete on the road.
They were all put in the wrong roles.
Quite frank, it was a miracle job coachin them to that much success last year.
Best believe.

Im wrong? You had team full of seniors, even Pitino picked them top of the conference. I guess you guys are right , our guys sucked. It was all on the coach

« Reply #659 on: December 23, 2011, 11:41:06 PM »
The NIT tourney.

The same senior laden team that had never came close to tasting any form of winning in the Big East.  A roster full of guys who had never won in their years on the team. 

Believe it or not, a load of scholarships like Lavin had at his disposal can also be a hinderance, as well, as we saw it could be.  It can be good and bad.

He asked Omari,Stith to leave and lost Polee and Ron Roberts. 3 would have started on this team, and 3 were eligible