Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA - BAYLOR

• 1016 replies
Re: Ricardo Gathers - PF - Riverside Academy - Reserve, LA
« Reply #680 on: December 24, 2011, 09:23:06 AM »
1. Chiles was in Florida and its not uncommon practice for assistants to be on the road in December and miss games.
2. Lay off Baldi. He's excited about Iona and rightfully so. They're awesome this year and he's always posted about them and St. John's its just people are finally paying attention to it.
3. ACC is definitely becoming a superior conference with addition of Cuse and Pitt. That's a fact. So what?
4. Gathers is going to sign late in the spring. St. John's is more in the mix than any other school. What happened to everyone's confidence lately? Relax.

ACC is becoming a stronger conference, yes.....but your former universal mod Baldi is predicting conference power rankings for 2013-14.... which is the first season Pitt and Cuse will play in the ACC. They may be stronger and they may not be depending on who is coaching and playing by then.  My money is Boeheim will not coach a day in the ACC. There is no guarantee Pitt will be a super-power in 2014.......heck, they are nationally ranked now and lost to Wagner at home tonight with the Wagner guards outplaying their Pitt counterparts.

Lay off Baldi? No way Dave! Being the liberal host of this fan site that you are and allowing him to troll and flame why would some SJ fans lay off when he insults a coach recovering from ....CANCER??  You think that is funny? I do not care if he bought stock in JJ or if he is dating your sister, if he goes after one of ours, he is fair game.

Finally, his wise-arse comment about coaching from sunny Florida was another delibertae low blow to a coach trying to re-sign the most important 2012 recruit Gathers........which, after all the B.S. was the subject of this thread!

I really don't get all the message board lingo. Troll and flame? He's a St. John's fan who has more posts than anyone on this site. He has over 100x more posts than you and has been here since day 1. He also roots for another team where he went to school?

C'mon. Making this into a bigger deal than it needs to be.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #681 on: December 24, 2011, 09:26:13 AM »
I liked Norm because he wasnt Jarvis. He gaves us guys we could root for. Guys like Paris Horne,Burrell etc. Guys like Sean Evans.  But I did answer your question, Lavin pulled them together.  Ceiling with Norm was 1st round loss in tourny

I think you mean the NIT tourney. That was his ceiling. He was never meant to be in this business. I find it incredible anyone thinks he could provide value in any way. Donovan is a nice person for hiring him. I'm praying for the day when Donovan has no choice but to let Norm be the head coach

« Reply #682 on: December 24, 2011, 09:37:15 AM »
1. Chiles was in Florida and its not uncommon practice for assistants to be on the road in December and miss games.
2. Lay off Baldi. He's excited about Iona and rightfully so. They're awesome this year and he's always posted about them and St. John's its just people are finally paying attention to it.
3. ACC is definitely becoming a superior conference with addition of Cuse and Pitt. That's a fact. So what?
4. Gathers is going to sign late in the spring. St. John's is more in the mix than any other school. What happened to everyone's confidence lately? Relax.

ACC is becoming a stronger conference, yes.....but your former universal mod Baldi is predicting conference power rankings for 2013-14.... which is the first season Pitt and Cuse will play in the ACC. They may be stronger and they may not be depending on who is coaching and playing by then.  My money is Boeheim will not coach a day in the ACC. There is no guarantee Pitt will be a super-power in 2014.......heck, they are nationally ranked now and lost to Wagner at home tonight with the Wagner guards outplaying their Pitt counterparts.

Lay off Baldi? No way Dave! Being the liberal host of this fan site that you are and allowing him to troll and flame why would some SJ fans lay off when he insults a coach recovering from ....CANCER??  You think that is funny? I do not care if he bought stock in JJ or if he is dating your sister, if he goes after one of ours, he is fair game.

Finally, his wise-arse comment about coaching from sunny Florida was another delibertae low blow to a coach trying to re-sign the most important 2012 recruit Gathers........which, after all the B.S. was the subject of this thread!

I really don't get all the message board lingo. Troll and flame? He's a St. John's fan who has more posts than anyone on this site. He has over 100x more posts than you and has been here since day 1. He also roots for another team where he went to school?

C'mon. Making this into a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Young Dave.....100x more posts than me? So, this is about the # of hits your site gets as a result of flaming and not the quality of the post?  Thanks for the ground rules! I will try to post 20x times a day to catch up!

« Reply #683 on: December 24, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »
Beach bum , think we get Gaathers?

If we do not get Gathers it will not be for lack of trying.  I would have put a full court press on Anthony Bennett also and made sure a pure PG was in the fold. 2012 is more difficult than 2011 since we only had 2 ships initially and most 2012's were committed. 2013 and 2014 will be great classes for Lav.

sju89tr

« Reply #684 on: December 24, 2011, 10:38:03 AM »

If we do not get Gathers it will not be for lack of trying.  I would have put a full court press on Anthony Bennett also and made sure a pure PG was in the fold. 2012 is more difficult than 2011 since we only had 2 ships initially and most 2012's were committed. 2013 and 2014 will be great classes for Lav.

I am not as doom and gloom as others. we remain in pretty good shape with Gathers. The family is close to Lavin and staff. Every kid would love to play for Duke, whether they are the right fit for him remains to be seen.

mkras99

« Reply #685 on: December 24, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »
So sick I should call my posts in from a warmer place. Just to make sure you gsuys think everythngs alright

Joe?

Mama?  Biden?  Cole?

« Reply #686 on: December 24, 2011, 01:22:56 PM »
I liked Norm because he wasnt Jarvis. He gaves us guys we could root for. Guys like Paris Horne,Burrell etc. Guys like Sean Evans.  But I did answer your question, Lavin pulled them together.  Ceiling with Norm was 1st round loss in tourny
The NIT tourney.

No way Norm would have beaten Duke,Gtown,Pitt,Uconn etc last year.

We had the best run over 1-2 months I had seen since Jarvis in the beginning. Norm's best was 2 games in a row
I thought Beast tourney -  :2funny:

« Reply #687 on: December 24, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »

I am not as doom and gloom as others. we remain in pretty good shape with Gathers. The family is close to Lavin and staff. Every kid would love to play for Duke, whether they are the right fit for him remains to be seen.
Not every kid would love to play for Duke :)  Exhibits A & B - Mitch, and Shaq (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?20939-2012-recruiting-thread&p=537735#post537735)

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that Shaquille Cleare won't be a Blue Devil.

"I need to try and get a win against Duke. That's a big part of the Maryland heritage. They are a big program and I think it would feel good to beat Duke."
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 01:37:12 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #688 on: December 24, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »

Perhaps your not as doom & gloom because your not looking at the facts realistically.  If we're in such pretty good shape with Gathers than why did he decommit in the first place?

I'm not saying that Gathers won't ultimately end up here in the end again, but don't be so surprised if he doesn't now that he decided to decommit.

I'd give us a 50% chance at eventually signing Gathers, it can go either way (imho).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:04:43 PM by Lapchick1 »

mkras99

« Reply #689 on: December 24, 2011, 03:29:03 PM »

Perhaps your not as doom & gloom because your not looking at the facts realistically.  If we're in such pretty good shape with Gathers than why did he decommit in the first place?

I'm not saying that Gathers won't ultimately end up here in the end again, but don't be so surprised if he doesn't now that he decided to decommit.

I'd give us a 50% chance at eventually signing Gathers, it can go either way (imho).

Rojostorm, Buki or Scotch?

Moose

« Reply #690 on: December 24, 2011, 03:43:56 PM »

Rojostorm, Buki or Scotch?

Haha
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #691 on: December 24, 2011, 05:29:08 PM »
Harping on Iona again, really, If you had any taste what soever you would be entertaining us with stories of LIU and Wagner!

« Reply #692 on: December 26, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »
How I managed to do this ( wrong thread ) I don't know. Been waiting for a post to cover this.

« Reply #694 on: December 28, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
Per Oregon Live (via Rumble in the Garden)....  Gathers has 3 of the top 10 plays (highlights 4, 2, and 1).

http://rumblegarden.tumblr.com/post/14865360061/ricardo-gathers-at-the-les-schwab-invitational-in

« Reply #695 on: December 28, 2011, 12:33:46 PM »
Rut-Rohh
http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/12-28-2011-gathers-on-teaming-with-goodwin-at-uk-recruitment

Of course, I'm always gonna be wary of UK when recruiting the same player.  But, I did like the fact he knew we were playing at that moment.  It shows he is certainly paying attention. 

It's gonna be tough to be out Kentucky, if they come charging hard after Gathers.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:35:52 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #696 on: December 28, 2011, 02:59:41 PM »
I just didn't like the fact that he is excited by being recruited by the "Next Level" teams.  He would be a major cog for a long run in the NCAA here. He sounds like he would be content being on a perennial and any part of a machine
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 03:00:25 PM by bigmaxnosauce »

« Reply #697 on: December 28, 2011, 03:15:17 PM »
This kid looks like he can play in the BCS NC game. For all those worried about his hight-he is a monster!

desco80

« Reply #698 on: December 28, 2011, 03:44:19 PM »
I know our staff is going hard after Ricardo, and it sounds like we're not out of it; but it's going to be difficult to beat out UK and Duke if they have actually offered Gathers.  In a year or two that might not be the case, but right now I think we're just too much of an unknown commodity when compared to those programs.   We're inticing for sure, and have some definite pluses, but it would take a leap of faith for a recruit to choose us over them.

That's just being realistic. 

Now - if Lavin comes back 100% healthy, the Big East stabilizes (or we form our own conference), the team has a winning BE record this year, signs another recruit or two, and Moe becomes a lotto pick in 2013 - we'll then in the years that follow it wouldn't be such a stretch.   But right now it's asking a lot I think for Gathers to come back if UK is offering him a chance to start next year. 

pmg911

« Reply #699 on: December 28, 2011, 04:13:43 PM »
Young Dave.....100x more posts than me? So, this is about the # of hits your site gets as a result of flaming and not the quality of the post?  Thanks for the ground rules! I will try to post 20x times a day to catch up!

WINNA WINNA CHICKEN DINNA