Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

Moose

Re: Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American School - Centereach, NY
« Reply #140 on: December 13, 2011, 08:35:04 AM »
Maybe I'm not used to rooting for a top recruiting team, or maybe Obekpa is not that talented, but with the state of our front court, I don't know how you could turn down a big man who can block shots and rebound at this point.  All I can say is that I hope we have such better talents in the wings, that he is not a priority.

The way I see it is Lavin said 6 more kids.  Pretty sure he has Amir in that count so thats 1.  Wood would be 2.  Gathers and Jakarr and 3 and 4.  There is supposedly a mystery shooter looking to transfer in which would be 5.

A lot of people say we need a PG. Some say we need a true legit center.  Which way do you go with the last one?

Both, because now that Nuri's jumped ship we have an extra ride.

So you want to have 13 players in 2012 and lose Gift and Stith so 2 rides in '13?
I'd rather save 1 of those and go 3 man class in '13.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #141 on: December 13, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »
Maybe I'm not used to rooting for a top recruiting team, or maybe Obekpa is not that talented, but with the state of our front court, I don't know how you could turn down a big man who can block shots and rebound at this point.  All I can say is that I hope we have such better talents in the wings, that he is not a priority.

The way I see it is Lavin said 6 more kids.  Pretty sure he has Amir in that count so thats 1.  Wood would be 2.  Gathers and Jakarr and 3 and 4.  There is supposedly a mystery shooter looking to transfer in which would be 5.

A lot of people say we need a PG. Some say we need a true legit center.  Which way do you go with the last one?

Both, because now that Nuri's jumped ship we have an extra ride.

So you want to have 13 players in 2012 and lose Gift and Stith so 2 rides in '13?
I'd rather save 1 of those and go 3 man class in '13.

If Lavin thinks he can get the goods go for it now.  One thing we've learned in the last year plus is that players are going to come and go, or not qualify.

sju89tr

« Reply #142 on: December 13, 2011, 10:39:36 AM »
I would much rather have Sidiki Johnson than Obekpa. I would not use all the ships for 2012 but rather go with a 3 man class in 2013. 

MCNPA

« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »
I'd rather have Gathers, Sampson and then some type of real center.  Obekpa is still more of a shotblocking PF.  Fwiw, Gift is better than just a "role guy".  Those types of players don't grab a double-double vs UK.  Gift has another very, very good year ahead of him.  He's been doubled early and often this season because teams key on our only big guy.  He needs some work, but can board, score and even has a nice midrange game.  Gift is a guy we should all be thankful for having. He'll be even better as a senior with other big bodies around him.  As fas as Obekpa goes, I'd take him any day.  If we're bringing in 4 or 5 more guys, he certainly should be up there on the priority list.  I think Lavin will have us all pleasantly surprised with the recruiting class after the spring.

« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »
I would much rather have Sidiki Johnson than Obekpa. I would not use all the ships for 2012 but rather go with a 3 man class in 2013. 

That's an absurd statement. I'd take Obekpa in a heartbeat over Sidicki
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

jayro

« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »
I'd take Obekpa in a second over Sidiki.   Obekpa brings things to the table that are hard to teach-defensive intensity and desire and he has the physical ability to carry out his defensive assignment.  Also, I am not aware of any "trouble" signals coming from his camp-which I can't say for Sidiki.  Not saying Sidiki is a bad kid, just seems to have some baggage that I prefer staying away from-of course I am going by what I have read and I don't know Sidiki's story first hand.

« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »

Hey Dave, was that extra c in Sidiki intentional?  ;D

Moose

« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2011, 03:35:22 PM »

Hey Dave, was that extra c in Sidiki intentional?  ;D

Dave is one of those good/bad comedians
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »
Ha I wish I could take credit. Just a typo
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sju89tr

« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2011, 06:36:52 PM »

Don't think its absurd at all, Obekpa is hardly the finished product on the offensive side of the ball. Sidiki although nlot the most gifted athlete has the size and strength we need and I will guess (if he gets his head is straight) will have a better college career.

« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »

Don't think its absurd at all, Obekpa is hardly the finished product on the offensive side of the ball. Sidiki although nlot the most gifted athlete has the size and strength we need and I will guess (if he gets his head is straight) will have a better college career.

its definitely not absurd when you look at their rankings.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2011, 08:24:28 PM »
Obekpa & Rico for me. Sampson although I would love to also have is not better than Moe or Rico so where is he getting PT at?Obekpa can add something that the team does not have an excellent shot blocker & can play back center & PF
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
With respect to Sidiki........... I believe that both KOB24 & Choz have recommended we stay away from him.  To me that is important and easily puts Obekpa as the clear winner between the two.

desco80

« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2011, 01:06:17 AM »
Obekpa & Rico for me. Sampson although I would love to also have is not better than Moe or Rico so where is he getting PT at?Obekpa can add something that the team does not have an excellent shot blocker & can play back center & PF

It's a tough comparison but I can't agree with your blanket statement that Gathers and Moe are better than Sampson.  We need Gathers for a different reason, but I think Sampson is the most talented recruit we have a shot at for '12.  He would be able to play the hybrid position Moe's in now extremely well.  He can rebound and in HS at least was a better defender than Moe. 

And that's no disrespect to Moe or Gathers.  Moe is the face of this team and my new favorite player since DJ left.  But, Sampson is a special talent I think - and is the absolute ideal player for Lavin's system.   

If we get him back in the fold imagine a  year from now a front court, at times, of Gift, Sampson, and Moe....    that's the kind of lineup we need to be able to play this zone and not be out-rebounded. 

MCNPA

« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2011, 01:27:46 AM »
Sampson is close to as gifted as Mo.  He's actually quicker off the first step, a better athlete and defender.  Mo has better offensive "feel" at this point and a ton of upside but so does Sampson,  I'd love Jakarr on board.  I'd take any combination of them though.

pmg911

« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2011, 09:37:06 AM »
Calling a well informed and well connected poster's thoughts on a player absurd, that is board leadership right there people.

« Reply #156 on: December 14, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »
Calling a well informed and well connected poster's thoughts on a player absurd, that is board leadership right there people.

I dont get what's wrong with the word absurd? I dont think sju89tr took it as a slight against him. They disagreed.

Foad

« Reply #157 on: December 14, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »

Rather than calling out the fine moderators on this site on a daily basis why don't you go moderate the ghost town you created nearly singledhandedly over at BEB. I think there was a post last week in which someone expressed an opinion - that thread should have been locked immediately. You're slacking.

pmg911

« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »
FOAD - as always, have a nice day.

kjd01067

« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »
Let's keep it on topic guys