Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
Saw him play today and he quickly caught everyone's attention at camp. He threw everything down and hard. Runs the floor very well. I'll definitely speak with him over the week.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Chris Obekpa saw the opportunity – leaving his native Nigeria for New York – like he does an invader into the paint: He swallowed it up.

He gauged the upside – making a better life for himself and his family – figured he was old enough to get out on his own and hasn’t looked back.

“I figured if I came here and worked hard, I’d be a better player and better person,” the rangy, 17-year-old, 6-foot-8 foward said.

After a solid first year at Our Savior New American – Obekpa stays with a host family near the private school’s Centereach, L.I., campus through a scholarship fund – he has thrived on the AAU circuit with New Heights’ 17U program. He followed up a stellar July, which included a semifinal berth in the Adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas, with an exceptional performance at Hoop Group Elite Camp Session III, reaching the top-20 all-star game.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/nigeria_native_shot_blocking_way_JF31edPLGAaGwEJ8pposDM#ixzz1Tm9vRLLz
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Per NBE Basketball....

Chris Obekpa (New Heights/2012) – Enter the paint at your own risk. Obekpa quickly established himself as the events premier shot blocker and solidified that status as the day went on. He blocked shots both on the ball and from the weak side. He blocked shots with both his left and right hands. He blocked shots both below the rim and well above the rim. Chris Obekpa blocked just above every shot that was attempted in the painted area. He runs the floor very well and can finish around the rim with power dunks and soft lay ins alike but that’s the extent of his offensive repertoire at this point. He’s a run and jump athlete who works very hard on both ends and controls the paint defensively. High-majors from around the country should be fighting for his services.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0801/hoop-group-end-of-summer-classic-rundown-17u-edition/

The more i read the more i like this kid.  Every team needs a guy who does the dirty work.  On defense block and alter shots, on offense grab boards for putbacks and extra possessions.  If it doesnt work out with the higher rated recruits we are recruiting i'd def take this kid.     

Per Adam Finkelstein (ESPN Recruiting)....  Christopher Obekpa is a high-major target 

One of the more pleasant surprises of the second half of the live period was PF Christopher Obekpa (Nigeria/Our Savior New American) who has emerged as another high-major big man in the 2012 class.

The 6-foot-9, 200-pounder, who only arrived from Nigeria last September, is an extraordinary shot-blocker with timing and instincts you would expect from a defensive game-changer.

Obekpa first showed his defensive prowess throughout the first two sessions of the Nike EYBL while running with the Metro Hawks and he led the field in blocks per game before fracturing his hand and missing the final weekend in Los Angeles.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/blog?name=finkelstein_adam&id=6829779&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2fblog%3fname%3dfinkelstein_adam%26id%3d6829779

mkras99

Obekpa's heaviest recruitment currently comes from Memphis, Cincinnati and Providence according to Jaklitsch while St. John's, Texas, West Virginia and Washington are all expressing serious interest.

Ed Cooley sat front and center for every one of his games at camp.

Gumby

Dave,

First off who is Ed Cooley?  Is he stalking Christopher?

Seriously, what do you suggest we do about Christopher and his great shot blocking skills?  There does not appear to be any room at the St. John's inn.  Is he a viable candidate for the last scholarship, if and when KA joins our family, and KR/AJ do not.

Moose

Dave,

First off who is Ed Cooley?

Really?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Dave,

Seriously, what do you suggest we do about Christopher and his great shot blocking skills?  There does not appear to be any room at the St. John's inn.  Is he a viable candidate for the last scholarship, if and when KA joins our family, and KR/AJ do not.

New Providence coach formally of Fairfield

Gumby

Dave,

New Providence coach formally of Fairfield

Thanks!

I don't think he comes to St. John's but he is a nice ball player. Really defensive minded, great timing, doesn't really have an offensive game.

I don't think he comes to St. John's but he is a nice ball player. Really defensive minded, great timing, doesn't really have an offensive game.

Is he like a poor mans Nerlens Noel?

Is he like a poor mans Nerlens Noel?

Shorter poor man's version yes. Noel is a pro

Per Zags....

“He’s one of the best interior defenders in our entire country, regardless of class,” Jaklitsch said.  “He’s just as good as [Nerlens] Noel.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/20/uconn-latest-school-to-offer-chris-obekpa/#more-56268

MCNPA

Difference is that Noel is still a near 7 footer.  Noel blocked Jakarr like 5 times in one game this year in the NEPSAC, maybe even more.  Obekpa has that same type of timing but not a center.  Fwiw, I think Pelle is probably as good of a shot blocker as either guy.  Pelle just is more laid back type player that needs to develop a little more aggression.  Pelle can be much like Noel at the college level. 

Difference is that Noel is still a near 7 footer.  Noel blocked Jakarr like 5 times in one game this year in the NEPSAC, maybe even more.  Obekpa has that same type of timing but not a center.  Fwiw, I think Pelle is probably as good of a shot blocker as either guy.  Pelle just is more laid back type player that needs to develop a little more aggression.  Pelle can be much like Noel at the college level. 

I have never seen Noel play in person.. but people are throwing around the name Bill Russell when comparing his game.  For the love of god MCN please be my publicist!!  Pelle hopefully should be a great college player.. but it seems that a shot blocker like Noel doesn't come around very often.

I have never seen Noel play in person.. but people are throwing around the name Bill Russell when comparing his game.  For the love of god MCN please be my publicist!!  Pelle hopefully should be a great college player.. but it seems that a shot blocker like Noel doesn't come around very often.

I've seen Noel play and he has impeccable timing on his blocks.  Not to mention, his offensive game has certainly grown from the first time I saw him (Peach Jam last year) versus when I saw him last month.

Obekpa's stock is certainly growing 

I've seen Noel play and he is an abusive shot blocker/defender. Comparing him to Bill Russell is a stretch but he has that type of game
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:32:12 PM by Redstormy80 »

MCNPA

Watch Pelle's videos and how quick he gets off the floor on blocks.  Not saying he's quite noel's level but close.  Norvell is still rivals #1 ranked center due to his defensive/shot blocking abilities and not his offense.