Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
Difference is that Noel is still a near 7 footer.  Noel blocked Jakarr like 5 times in one game this year in the NEPSAC, maybe even more.  Obekpa has that same type of timing but not a center.  Fwiw, I think Pelle is probably as good of a shot blocker as either guy.  Pelle just is more laid back type player that needs to develop a little more aggression.  Pelle can be much like Noel at the college level. 

I have never seen Noel play in person.. but people are throwing around the name Bill Russell when comparing his game.  For the love of god MCN please be my publicist!!  Pelle hopefully should be a great college player.. but it seems that a shot blocker like Noel doesn't come around very often.

Watch Pelle's videos and how quick he gets off the floor on blocks.  Not saying he's quite noel's level but close.  Norvell is still rivals #1 ranked center due to his defensive/shot blocking abilities and not his offense. 

I was responding to your original comment that " Pelle is as good as Noel as a shot blocker" .  It wasn't meant to be a slight of Pelle at all.

MCNPA

Difference is that Noel is still a near 7 footer.  Noel blocked Jakarr like 5 times in one game this year in the NEPSAC, maybe even more.  Obekpa has that same type of timing but not a center.  Fwiw, I think Pelle is probably as good of a shot blocker as either guy.  Pelle just is more laid back type player that needs to develop a little more aggression.  Pelle can be much like Noel at the college level. 

I have never seen Noel play in person.. but people are throwing around the name Bill Russell when comparing his game.  For the love of god MCN please be my publicist!!  Pelle hopefully should be a great college player.. but it seems that a shot blocker like Noel doesn't come around very often.

Watch Pelle's videos and how quick he gets off the floor on blocks.  Not saying he's quite noel's level but close.  Norvell is still rivals #1 ranked center due to his defensive/shot blocking abilities and not his offense. 

Can see a bit of how quick Pelle is to block shots here.  I believe he has even grown a bit since this video.  Noel is certainly a beast, but I think Pelle will do fine for us.  We have almost never had any reasonably good shotblockers at SJU.  It will be a treat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OnDQr86hFM
I was responding to your original comment that " Pelle is as good as Noel as a shot blocker" .  It wasn't meant to be a slight of Pelle at all.

Can see a bit of how quick Pelle is to block shots here.  I believe he has even grown a bit since this video.  Noel is certainly a beast, but I think Pelle will do fine for us.  We have almost never had any reasonably good shotblockers at SJU.  It will be a treat.

I agree it will be nice to have a good shot blocker.. What makes you think he has grown though?

MCNPA

I agree it will be nice to have a good shot blocker.. What makes you think he has grown though?

That video was earlier in 2010.  He's generally listed taller now than he was then, that's all.

Per Zags....

Our Savior assistant Eric Jaklitsch confirmed Chris Obekpa will take unofficials this week to St. John's and Ga. Tech. Providence later

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamZagoria/status/105387095333408768

Look for St. John's to give Obekpa the red-carpet treatment, but not push him for a verbal commitment just yet because they want to see what Anderson decises to do first.

ALL JUST-IN-CASE OPTIONS FOR SJU?
-----------------------------------------------
Obekpa
Jevon Thomas
Amir Jefferson

Gumby

I would say in order-
1.   Amile
2.  Christopher

Sorry, no, Jevon!

With Coach Lavin, you never know what he will do in recruiting, so all bets are off.

MCNPA

I would say in order-
1.   Amile
2.  Christopher

Sorry, no, Jevon!

With Coach Lavin, you never know what he will do in recruiting, so all bets are off.

Agree, Jevon is off the list.  Woods took his place.  Shuffle your feet...

Lets hope their is no just in case guys

LJSA

Assuming Anderson commits, I think the staff is hoping Obekpa waits until the spring to decide. If it looks Like Lindsey is one-and-done we'll go all out on a big man.

Gumby

It would not surprise me one bit if Coach Lavin goes after both Amile and Christopher right after KA commits to us next month.  What you say, there will be no scholarships left for both?  Not to worry, Coach Lavin has a plan.

crgreen

Re: Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American School - Centereach, NY
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
Per Zags, Obekpa had an in-home with Ben Howland and UCLA yesterday....

« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
If he's going to come all the way out here he might as well make it productive, right?  ; )

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 11:19:34 AM »
I think Providence makes a lot of sense for him. I know Cooley has been all over him for a while too. It's an attractive sell with Dunn and Ledo there too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 11:23:46 AM »
I think Providence makes a lot of sense for him. I know Cooley has been all over him for a while too. It's an attractive sell with Dunn and Ledo there too.

It's funny because providence didn't make sense for any top player about a month ago.  Cooley's success will be determined if he can parlay a little bit of good fortune into landing kids like Obekpa and possibly Noel.

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »

It's funny because providence didn't make sense for any top player about a month ago.  Cooley's success will be determined if he can parlay a little bit of good fortune into landing kids like Obekpa and possibly Noel.

Those are supposed to be the two premier shot blockers in highschool right now. Providence would be primed for an extremely  bright future if they were to land those two.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »

Those are supposed to be the two premier shot blockers in highschool right now. Providence would be primed for an extremely  bright future if they were to land those two.

Exactly, Mase!  That would give the Friars a pretty, sick defensive frontcourt.

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2011, 02:44:47 PM »
Maybe my man shurinacheese is not so crazy after all for showing luv for Ed Cooley! 8)

pmg911

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2011, 08:03:33 AM »
I was told over the weekend that UConn has moved quickly in to the mix for this young man.

Moose

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2011, 08:49:30 AM »
I was told over the weekend that UConn has moved quickly in to the mix for this young man.

He must have recently got his hair cut
Remember who broke the Slice news