• 1708 replies

pmg911

Re: Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American School - Centereach, NY
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2011, 10:37:17 AM »
good point...

UConn has in-home tonight with him...

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2011, 11:51:16 AM »
And we wonder why Uconn leads the country in shot blocking every year-we should be and I hope we are all over this kid.

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
bump-hope we can get on this kid!  We need some bigs.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2011, 08:39:27 AM »
good point...

It sounds like Obekpa is just about ready to pop for UConnJob.  EX:  UConn already with an "in-home visit" and he has yet to even visit St. John's (we're way behind the 8-ball).

Moose

« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2011, 08:49:58 AM »
good point...

It sounds like Obekpa is just about ready to pop for UConnJob.  EX:  UConn already with an "in-home visit" and he has yet to even visit St. John's (we're way behind the 8-ball).

He was supposed to visit in late August unless he never came.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2011, 09:00:51 AM »
Us being down a few players certainly can help get back in with the kid.  We had some PT issues for him before, but no longer.

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2011, 11:08:13 AM »
Can anyone confirm we are indeed after this kid? From what I have read on him, he seems like a good fit to our frontline. We need a shotblocking presence for 2012-2013.

Is it too late?

Poison

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »
Us being down a few players certainly can help get back in with the kid.  We had some PT issues for him before, but no longer.

If Pelle was eligible and Gathers comes, we'd have a total of 3 post players. Which isn't enough at the high major D1 level.

Moose

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »

If Pelle was eligible and Gathers comes, we'd have a total of 3 post players. Which isn't enough at the high major D1 level.

How many are needed? Thanks!

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »

I believe it's preferable to go 4 deep at PF/C w/ solid players.  Could go with 3 if need be, and one or two more for spot play.

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2011, 06:08:05 PM »

I believe it's preferable to go 4 deep at PF/C w/ solid players.  Could go with 3 if need be, and one or two more for spot play.

Remember Lavin might not play 2 bigs at once like many other teams so we might not be in demand for 4 bigs/post players. This year it appears inevitable that we will be very small but for 2012 as of now we would have GG, Pelle and Gathers. It wouldn't hurt to get another big but the staff might be content with those 3 playing the 5 and using 2 or 3 wings to complement them. If we dont get another natural big then I would look for the staff to go after a hybrid forward like Jakarr or Amile Jefferson

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
He is visiting PC this weekend.  I like their chances with this kid.

Moose

« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
He is visiting PC this weekend.  I like their chances with this kid.

Sign they have given up on Noel?

ras

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »
We definately need another big. At this point Id rather see us sign him and tell Sampson to take a hike{not that I dislike Sampson,} but 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2011, 06:24:31 PM »
Fordham,

Who's chances do you like in regards to Obekpa? Providence or STJ?

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2011, 09:45:47 PM »
As for the UConn home visit, Calhoun “talked about the history of the program, the national championships and how they won with the different types of teams,” Jaklitsch said. He also talked about the “development of big men in the UConn program.”

“The in-home visit went very well,” he said. “We are in the process of setting up an unofficial visit with UConn.”

UCLA, Cincinnati, Seton Hall, St. John’s, Florida and Georgia Tech are also involved.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/09/25/obekpa-visits-providence-hosts-calhoun-for-home-visit/#more-58426
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2011, 09:54:44 PM »
Obekpa should have asked Calhoun for Hasheem Thabeet's phone number.

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2011, 10:33:27 PM »
Fordham,

Who's chances do you like in regards to Obekpa? Providence or STJ?

Seems like he is a Providence lean as of now. There are rumors swirling that PC is about to get a big time recruit and he may be it.

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »

As bad a pro as hes been and as much as many of us didnt see his potential at all and guessed hed be a bust, he still got #2 money. Do you think if he goes to almost any other school hes close to a lottery pick or even a first rounder let alone the #2 pick?

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2011, 09:33:21 PM »

As bad a pro as hes been and as much as many of us didnt see his potential at all and guessed hed be a bust, he still got #2 money. Do you think if he goes to almost any other school hes close to a lottery pick or even a first rounder let alone the #2 pick?

I don't know.  All I know is that he is a 7 footer from an Elite program, playing inthe D-League.  Some idiot Gm drafted him way too high (and, yes, I did predict he would be a bust).  Obekpa shouldn't count on being so lucky.