Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
Re: Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American School - Centereach, NY
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
Obekpa should have asked Calhoun for Hasheem Thabeet's phone number.

As bad a pro as hes been and as much as many of us didnt see his potential at all and guessed hed be a bust, he still got #2 money. Do you think if he goes to almost any other school hes close to a lottery pick or even a first rounder let alone the #2 pick?

I don't know.  All I know is that he is a 7 footer from an Elite program, playing inthe D-League.  Some idiot Gm drafted him way too high (and, yes, I did predict he would be a bust).  Obekpa shouldn't count on being so lucky.

You dont know what? That going to Uconn only helped him get drafted #2 and only helped make him the most money hed make in the NBA. He is what he is and him going to any other school would have hurt him. using him as an example should only make Obekpa want to go there more if anything.

« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2011, 03:27:29 PM »
I dont know the answer to your question.

Thabeet was a 7 footer who blocked a lot of shots of smaller players.  His skills were not developed at all---as was the premise of the previoys post about Uconn developing big men.  He got drafted on potential.  Good for him.  I have no problem with kids taking a lot of money from NBA teams.

However, if I'm a recruit, I would not feel safe going to a program just because another guy got drafted #2.  I would want to make sure I go someplace where my skills will be developed as much as possible.  I'm not saying that that could not happen at Uconn.  I just used Thabeet (really in jest) to refute the blanket proposition made by Calhoun to Obekpa (per the article) that he develops big men at Uconn.

Do you think that Obekpa, if at the end of his college career, is only able to block shots, without ANY offensive skills (see Thabeet, Hasheem), will be drafted #2 in any upcoming NBA draft?

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »
FWIW Thabeet reached his ceiling.  He was never that athletic nor did he possess a high BB IQ yet Calhoun used him the right way to maximize what he did have . . . height, period.  It got him #2 money.  Success story.  End of Story.

Calhoun could also point to Travis Knight and Jake Voskuhl as guys who never should have sniffed the NBA but ended up having pretty decent careers on the end of NBA benches, Josh Boone, the slowest undersized center to ever get drafted in the first round, Hilton Armstrong - 12th overall pick and 12th overall money.  And of course Emeka again drafted higher than his ability and paid as such.

That's a pretty good track record.  There's nothing on Obekpa's resume that indicates he's going to be Shaq, Kareem or Wilt, or even a sure thing for the NBA.  Same could be said for most of the centers I mentioned but look at the money Calhoun earned them.  It makes sense why Obekpa would listen.

« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »
I dont know the answer to your question.

Thabeet was a 7 footer who blocked a lot of shots of smaller players.  His skills were not developed at all---as was the premise of the previoys post about Uconn developing big men.  He got drafted on potential.  Good for him.  I have no problem with kids taking a lot of money from NBA teams.

However, if I'm a recruit, I would not feel safe going to a program just because another guy got drafted #2.  I would want to make sure I go someplace where my skills will be developed as much as possible.  I'm not saying that that could not happen at Uconn.  I just used Thabeet (really in jest) to refute the blanket proposition made by Calhoun to Obekpa (per the article) that he develops big men at Uconn.

Do you think that Obekpa, if at the end of his college career, is only able to block shots, without ANY offensive skills (see Thabeet, Hasheem), will be drafted #2 in any upcoming NBA draft?

His skills were developed as best as they were going to be. Uconn does develop big men and gets them to the NBA and drafted usually alot higher then they should be. Just look at yankcranker's post.

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »
This kid is nothing like what Uconn has ever sent to the pros.  If anything he looks most like Ajou Deng.  Spin that one favorably.

Moose

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2011, 08:35:52 PM »
STJ, Uconn and Florida coaches at OSNA today to I presume watch Obekpa.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2011, 12:22:28 PM »
This kid is nothing like what Uconn has ever sent to the pros.  If anything he looks most like Ajou Deng.  Spin that one favorably.

Well if he's not any good why are we even discussing him.  ; )

ras

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2011, 12:54:49 PM »
He is good and we need another big. Cant count on Sampson or Pelle.

« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »
He is good and we need another big. Cant count on Sampson or Pelle.

I agree.
Even if Sampson & Pelle BOTH make it here I would want him .
Achuiwa will be a Sr when he would be a frosh.

Molloy '71

What's the word...is he coming to midnight madness?  I thought hope was lost on this guy but it would definitely be a good sign if we could get him here for midnight madness.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

TheVig

Obekpa is gonna be there tonight per Zags. Show him some love folks 8)

Would love to team this kid with hopefully Pelle, GG and Gathers at the 4-5 positions next season. He and Pelle could potentially give us the best shot blocking in the program's history. :)

Poison

Is he qualified?

MCNPA

Would love to team this kid with hopefully Pelle, GG and Gathers at the 4-5 positions next season. He and Pelle could potentially give us the best shot blocking in the program's history. :)

Gathers, Amir and Pointer are some excellent shot-blockers as well.  Not many teams going to want to take shots 15 feet and in with our guys in there.  Obekpa would be a fantastic addition if we could pull it off.  Not sure why Obekpa would choose Uconn except of course their history of success. There are like 6-7 guys are the 4/5 spots there.  At SJU, he could be one of 4 guys at the 4/5 spots and God's Gift would be a senior when he enters.

Gathers, Amir and Pointer are some excellent shot-blockers as well.  Not many teams going to want to take shots 15 feet and in with our guys in there.  Obekpa would be a fantastic addition if we could pull it off.  Not sure why Obekpa would choose Uconn except of course their history of success. There are like 6-7 guys are the 4/5 spots there.  At SJU, he could be one of 4 guys at the 4/5 spots and God's Gift would be a senior when he enters.
Totally agree we need him much more than Uconn. Let's hope he adopts the philosophy of the kid who didn't want to sign with Carolina because he said he didn't want to be just another horse in Dean Smith's stable. Forget who it was-may have even signed with us-someone help me out-used to have a memory like an elephant now I can't even remember the elephant. ::)

I believe it was Kenny Anderson who used that analogy about UNC.

NYCoffey

Christopher Obekpa (Nigeria/Our Savior New American, N.Y.) tells Fivestarbasketball.com that he will take his time with recruiting but does like the the idea of playing with Kyle Anderson at UCLA after seeing him multiple times this summer, "He's top-5," Obekpa said.

After only playing three years of organized basketball, Obekpa is viewed as one of the top shot blockers in the 2012 class and is adjusting to the recruiting process.

http://fivestarbasketball.com/articles/10-18-2011-recruiting-roundup-10-18

NYCoffey

I didn't even see this at the bottom of the article

St. John's-commit Darrick Wood (Washington, DC/Bridgton Academy, MA) is working on bringing along Christopher Obekpa to the Queens, New York school. Both attended the Red Storm's Midnight Madness.

I believe it was Kenny Anderson who used that analogy about UNC.
One of best quotes from recruiting wars - ever.