Mitch McGary - PF - Brewster Academy - Wolfeboro, NH - MICHIGAN

• 54 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Mitch McGary - PF - Brewster Academy - Wolfeboro, NH
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 10:51:22 AM »
I see McGarry at Notre Dame.
Nope. Too highly ranked. Notre Dame never gets top guys and that may be by design. Cool for them if he went, though. McGary's at Brewster to boost his academics, I thought? Which makes him a harder sell to Notre Dame.

sju89tr

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
The staff must get him in for a visit. Need Sampson to work him.

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »
Nope. Too highly ranked. Notre Dame never gets top guys and that may be by design. Cool for them if he went, though. McGary's at Brewster to boost his academics, I thought? Which makes him a harder sell to Notre Dame.

You're kidding, right?
Fire Mullin.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »
You're kidding, right?
Which part? Notre Dame partisans often complain about the admissions standards to the school as hindering their recruiting - moreso in football, where they would LOVE to dominate once more.

Notre Dame hasn't gotten a highly ranked player/ McDAA level player since Chris Thomas (I think - I welcome any corrections) and they do a great job of targeting guys who fit their system and grow with the system. I think they were on the final Zeller and Plumlee but never got close. I don't see Mike Brey suddenly pulling Mitch McGary back to Indiana.

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »
You're kidding, right?
Which part? Notre Dame partisans often complain about the admissions standards to the school as hindering their recruiting - moreso in football, where they would LOVE to dominate once more.

Notre Dame hasn't gotten a highly ranked player/ McDAA level player since Chris Thomas (I think - I welcome any corrections) and they do a great job of targeting guys who fit their system and grow with the system. I think they were on the final Zeller and Plumlee but never got close. I don't see Mike Brey suddenly pulling Mitch McGary back to Indiana.

Here's a list of the top 5 HS  football players in the country.
endee has offered all 5.
Think they're all better students than McGarry?

http://recruiting.scout.com/
Fire Mullin.

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 04:30:29 PM »
I did a non exhaustive check on RSCI but from what I could tell UND has not recruited a top 100 player out of HS since Goady who was #83 in 2006.   Luke Zeller was their last top 50 in 2005.  That speaks to the "never gets top guys" part, not the by design part.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 11:26:50 PM »
You're kidding, right?

Here's a list of the top 5 HS  football players in the country.
endee has offered all 5.
Think they're all better students than McGarry?

http://recruiting.scout.com/
I don't want to get into an argument when we're talking about McGary (why is everyone tossing in an extra "r"?) that takes us off topic. But let me address your issues.

I don't know if Notre Dame has gotten better at football recruiting. But in Charlie Weis'/ Ty Willingham's days and previous to that, there was concern that the academic standards hurt recruiting. There are top players who can meet the Irish's academic admission requirements and can remain in school, but it's a struggle. Read more here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/andy_staples/11/25/notre.dame/ Here's a quote:

Notre Dame officials made a critical choice a few years ago. They could lower their academic standards to allow in better athletes so alumni could take pride in their football team, or they could keep those standards high so alumni could take pride in their university.

By placing the school's primary mission above athletic success, they chose correctly. Unfortunately, Notre Dame fans must accept the consequences.

That's in football, with their deep history. That issue was at the heart of Paul Hornung's comments in 2004. and it applies to basketball as well, which is a logical assumption. For example, here (http://www.ndnation.com/blog/labels/jack%20swarbrick.html):
Admissions standards limit the pool of highly rated recruits available to Notre Dame. Urban public school players dominate the top 50 in recruiting rankings, and Notre Dame will not admit all but one or two of them in any given year. In addition, a large percentage of Catholic and/or suburban high school basketball stars will not qualify academically for Notre Dame.....

As a result, Notre Dame's men's basketball coach recruits from a pool of mostly three star players from suburban high schools with strong academics. Few of these players are prepared to be Big East level contributors, with an average of about one per year able to earn significant playing time right away. Many become fine players in time, but it takes time to polish skills to compensate for other athletic deficiencies.

Just because Notre Dame has offered the countries' best players doesn't mean they will get those players. It also could mean that the current staff has gotten the Irish to relax their standards. Or those players are good students. Or they just recruit who they can until they find out that said player can't hang in the classroom or cross the admissions threshold.

But maybe they are all better students than McGary. Here are some comments on McGary:
http://www.theboilingpoints.com/2011/05/2012-rivals-rankings-features-three.html: No. 5 Mitch McGary: Purdue coach Matt Painter and the Boilers were once very early favorites for McGary, but academic issues scared them away. It looks like the big man out of Northwest Indiana might have his act in order and is turning it on in terms of basketball. He was ranked No. 92 in the previous rankings.

also

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110516/SPORTS02/105160315/Prep-school-helps-Chesterton-s-McGary-his-grades-his-game: A year ago on the Assembly Hall floor at the Adidas May Classic, Mitch McGary was surrounded by a horde of reporters and bluntly admitted that his road back from academic woes would be a long one.

At that time, the 6-10 Chesterton native was considered as much of a project as a top high school basketball prospect. The talent was obvious, but the desire wasn't always as evident.

McGary even talked about quitting basketball.
That article is from this month.

As for Notre Dame doing it by design, that's what I have heard; and after 11 years, i think Mike Brey knows how not to waste time recruiting. You don't see him pulling a Norm Roberts and chasing some player he's late on until all the Truck Bryants are long gone and the Syl Landesbergs are committed somewhere else and he's left with TyShwan Edmondsons. A good coach knows who fits his system and executes a recruiting plan that's realistic. Notre Dame isn't sniffing at Kyle Anderson or Shabazz Muhammad, because they know what battles they're likely to win.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:28:36 PM by peter »

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 01:38:59 PM »
Visiting UCONN this weekend unofficially...

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 08:05:56 PM »
Visiting UCONN this weekend unofficially...

I don't see why any top 150 player would commit to a program when the head coach as of last week says there is a 55% chance he'll be back this year.  That equates to a 1% chance he'll be back the year after and 0% thereafter.  Only guy I can see heading the is possibly Drummond, because there is no chance he's there longer than a year unless he flops like Fab Melo.

Moose

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »
From ESPN Rumors and Dave Telep-

ESPN's Dave Telep recently wrote about 2012's Mitch McGary and according to the recruiting evaluator, McGary is probably not going to land at either IU or Purdue, two schools he hasn't spoken to since March.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 09:03:16 AM »
Uconn and Michigan trying to get McGary to reclassify back to 2011 and enroll in the fall.

http://twitter.com/#!/TheRecruitScoop/statuses/75650178664771584

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

Re: Mitch McGary - PF - Brewster Academy - Wolfeboro, NH - MICHIGAN
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 07:15:44 PM »
To Michigan

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/story/_/id/7186833/no-2-ranked-prep-prospect-mitch-mcgary-commits-michigan

Good that he went to Michigan and didn't pick Duke.  Good luck there I look forward to watching him play except if he ever plays us.

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 07:26:12 PM »
To Michigan

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/story/_/id/7186833/no-2-ranked-prep-prospect-mitch-mcgary-commits-michigan

Good that he went to Michigan and didn't pick Duke.  Good luck there I look forward to watching him play except if he ever plays us.
Trying not to speculate too much, but JaKarr may look at who is coming in to Michigan (Robinson III, Stauskas) and figure he'll start at PF by end of Frosh year.  I worry MM may be in his ear all season.  Plus, being a midwest guy - sigh. I'm not gonna worry about it since I know he needs to get back with his guys if he's smart.   

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 07:29:02 PM »
Michigan.  Big get for Beilein! 

Thanks for the applause.  My first correct prediction (other than the obvious ones).

Moose

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »
To Michigan

Trying not to speculate too much, but JaKarr may look at who is coming in to Michigan (Robinson III, Stauskas) and figure he'll start at PF by end of Frosh year.  I worry MM may be in his ear all season.  Plus, being a midwest guy - sigh. I'm not gonna worry about it since I know he needs to get back with his guys if he's smart.   

I wouldnt worry about Michigan.

Eric Bossi of Rivals did mention that Kansas is now getting involved with Jakarr.

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
To Michigan

I wouldnt worry about Michigan.

Eric Bossi of Rivals did mention that Kansas is now getting involved with Jakarr.
makes sense - they put all their eggs in the Kaleb basket and got burned bad.  They will agressively pursue any and all top players that they have even a remote chance with.

kob24

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 12:57:04 PM »
its the coach at brewster who is doing this. not jakaar. the brewster coach doesnt want him at st.johns. he likes kansas

kjd01067

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »
its the coach at brewster who is doing this. not jakaar. the brewster coach doesnt want him at st.johns. he likes kansas

Kob can you elaborate at all on why he doesn't want Jakaar at STJ?

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 01:16:41 PM »
He's also close with Naadir Tharpe (Brewster) who is currently a freshman at Kansas.