Mitch McGary - PF - Brewster Academy - Wolfeboro, NH - MICHIGAN

• 54 replies

NYCoffey

Re: Mitch McGary - PF - Brewster Academy - Wolfeboro, NH - MICHIGAN
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »
its the coach at brewster who is doing this. not jakaar. the brewster coach doesnt want him at st.johns. he likes kansas

I remember hearing that it was a similar situation with Ricardo Ledo from a friend that's and Providence Alum. There were rumblings that the coach wanted him to go to I think NC or Kentucky and talked him into his original de-commitment. He wanted the exposure of his kids going to bigger program than Providence. Definitely could be a similar situation with Jakarr and he Brewster coach. These coaches have  a lot of pull with these kids and sometimes seem to use it to there advantage.

Moose

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 03:29:13 PM »
its the coach at brewster who is doing this. not jakaar. the brewster coach doesnt want him at st.johns. he likes kansas

Heard the same thing.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »

Heard the same thing.

If he likes kansas, let him go to kansas

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 04:28:17 PM »

Heard the same thing.

If he likes kansas, let him go to kansas

He may have interest in Kansas, but that doesn't mean he wants to go there.  Actually, from what is being stated, he's being pushed towards Kansas.   

MCNPA

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 05:25:21 PM »

The brewster coach Jason Smith is probably getting greased by Kansas.  Hate to say it, but I've heard the brewster coach isn't good news like I thought. Take a look at his Twitter page.  The guy's page is a Kansas shrine to KU, with KU sports, Jayhawk Slant and others he is following.  Wouldn't be surprised if he was a Jayhawk grad and/or booster.  Maybe somebody can find out.

https://twitter.com/#!/Brewsterhoops

Hopefully Jakarr keeps his head on straight.  I wish he was at Bridgton though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:33:49 PM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »
He's also close with Naadir Tharpe (Brewster) who is currently a freshman at Kansas.

He also sent Thomas Robinson to KU.

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »

The brewster coach Jason Smith is probably getting greased by Kansas.  Hate to say it, but I've heard the brewster coach isn't good news like I thought. Take a look at his Twitter page.  The guy's page is a Kansas shrine to KU, with KU sports, Jayhawk Slant and others he is following.  Wouldn't be surprised if he was a Jayhawk grad and/or booster.  Maybe somebody can find out.

Actually, Smith went to college with Bino Ranson at a Mass based college, cannot recollect offhand.  That's why Bino got so deep with Mitch.  Terps asst Scott Spinelli also knows Smith.  But something stinks in Kansas.  Gonna start looking like Laurinberg Prep for Cal - total Memphis feeder school gone wrong, although Brewster has a good reputation from the little I've read and heard. Except for watching after and remedying JS's issues.

Got it - Southern New Hampshire '99

btw, with boarding, Brewster is 45k+ per year
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:41:30 PM by bball purist »

MCNPA

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2011, 01:03:02 AM »

Actually, Smith went to college with Bino Ranson at a Mass based college, cannot recollect offhand.  That's why Bino got so deep with Mitch.  Terps asst Scott Spinelli also knows Smith.  But something stinks in Kansas.  Gonna start looking like Laurinberg Prep for Cal - total Memphis feeder school gone wrong, although Brewster has a good reputation from the little I've read and heard. Except for watching after and remedying JS's issues.

Got it - Southern New Hampshire '99

btw, with boarding, Brewster is 45k+ per year

Thanks for the info.  I never liked it when prep coaches start "steering" kids to and away from certain schools.  It's never good.  Btw, smith is also associate Dean of admissions at Brewster.  Love how the bball coach also runs the admissions department...lol.  Fwiw, I still really hope we can get Jakarr on board here.  I think he's a heck of a talent.  There is PT for him here for sure.  I haven't totally given up on him and though maybe that ship has sailed, it seems Jakarr is still real close with Pelle and the others and I think he'd be a great addition for 2012.  I know the staff is still involved which is good. 

Moose

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2013, 10:05:30 PM »
Sure could use a guy like this down low.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2013, 10:16:25 PM »

I would even take a guy like Canty, the big on Fordham. We need bulk for sure. BTW, do we have a weight room? Ha!

Chilleb

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2013, 10:22:13 PM »

I would even take a guy like Canty, the big on Fordham. We need bulk for sure. BTW, do we have a weight room? Ha!
We have a guy like him Christian jones but he gets no burn.

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2013, 12:57:47 AM »

We have a guy like him Christian jones but he gets no burn.
Just because he is almost the same size doesn't mean they are alike and these guys certainly are not alike. Canty more like the ND kid, an inside player and a banger, where as CJ is more of an outside skill guy that doesn't utilize his big body.

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »
Playing very well today vs. Mich State.

crgreen

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2013, 06:25:27 PM »
Playing very well today vs. Mich State.

Not gonna be a star, but will be a solid big.   Getting 6/6 on the season, shooting 57% from the floor.  Given his skill set, Michigan was a REALLY strange place to go.   Beilein's bigs in his offense usually have to have perimeter game, of which McGary has zero (no 3s attempted this year, only 45% FTs).   Think back to Beilein's successful West Virginia teams, with 7'0 260 Kevin Pittsnogle, who shot over 600 3s, and made over 250 (41%) in his 4 years playing in that system.

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 11:27:14 PM »
Would have loved this big to have come in with Karr and the Hooper.