Top College Major$

• 3 replies
Top College Major$
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:13:48 PM »
Source Tuesday, May 24, NY Post (page 3)

College graduates make 84% more money over a lifetime than people with only a high-school diploma, according to a study released yesterday.

BUT the highest-paying undergraduate majors make salaries about 300% HIGHER than the lowest paying, according to the study.

The report by GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY in Washington, D.C. found that PETROLEUM-ENGINEERING majors make about $120,000 a year, compared with $29,000 annually for COUNSELING PSYCHOLOGY majors.

MATH and COMPUTER SCIENCE majors earn $98,000, while EARLY-CHILDHOOD EDUCATION majors get about $36,000 the researchers found.

"it's important that you go to college and get a bachelor's degree, but it's almost three or four times MORE IMPORTANT what you take," said Anthony Carnevale's, director of GEORGETOWN'S CENTER ON EDUCATION AND THE WORKFORCE.

"The majors that are most popular ARE NOT the one's that make the most money," he said.

Re: Top College Major$
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »
Oh Oh you saying that I goofed with my history major? :2funny:

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 04:20:51 PM »
205 Great post....

Well the Computer Science program is under  CPS (or old St. Vincent's College) definitely a program to keep around I know you proposed eliminating the CPS, not sure you can do that entirely. The school would need to do a program by program audit to determine what programs need to be discarded and what programs need to kept.

I am in favor of a CPS-SJC merge, that would reduce admin waste amongst core departments like (THE, PHI, ENG and MTH)

Does SJU ever do salary surveys of alumni; I would love to see those Stats with majors included?

Plus salaries 5 years post undergrad, 10 years, 15, 20 and 25 years....

Actually a tool like this nationwide would help students do a better job determining what school to attend and which school long term provides the best value.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:22:01 PM by 19854ever »

MCNPA

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 09:14:03 AM »
SJU offers the Physician Assistant degree.  Average PA salary in NY right now is 91K and many make quite a bit more.  A great field which I love with lots of jobs and a great degree program that SJU offers.