Katin Reinhardt - G - Mater Dei - San Juan Capistrano, CA - UNLV

• 170 replies

MCNPA

Re: Katin Reinhardt - G - Mater Dei - San Juan Capistrano, CA
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »
Duke hasn't had a lot of guards in general that are much better, but to be more specific white guards better than Jimmer.  Dude won the Naismith award for the best player in college basketball.  I wouldn't say they have had a LOT better than him.  As far as college guards go, Jimmer was top notch and his numbers I am sure could compare with most that Duke has put out.  In addition, he often did it through double-teams unlike any player at Duke.  No doubt they have had their share of excellent PG's, but Jimmer is up there with the better ones that Duke has put out.

Jimmer doesn't have dick on JJ Redick, in my opinion.

Jimmer is better than JJ Reddick every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Reddick ran in a circle the entire game and came off screens for every shot.  Jimmer can create his own shot.

« Reply #101 on: August 03, 2011, 01:24:52 PM »
Duke hasn't had a lot of guards in general that are much better, but to be more specific white guards better than Jimmer.  Dude won the Naismith award for the best player in college basketball.  I wouldn't say they have had a LOT better than him.  As far as college guards go, Jimmer was top notch and his numbers I am sure could compare with most that Duke has put out.  In addition, he often did it through double-teams unlike any player at Duke.  No doubt they have had their share of excellent PG's, but Jimmer is up there with the better ones that Duke has put out.

Jimmer is better than JJ Reddick every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Reddick ran in a circle the entire game and came off screens for every shot.  Jimmer can create his own shot.

I'll take Redick. He scored his points in the confines of the offense for the most part, and didn't run a one man show where he dominated the ball and chucked 30 foot 3 pointers all game. JJ played for some much more talented teams with more scoring distribution and still averaged 20 a game for his whole career. I'm just not a fan of the ball dominating/ hero chucker style Jimmer plays. If we could recruit a Jimmer clone or a JJ clone to join St Johns right now, I would take Redick. Maybe not the pure talent, but played in the style of the offense and din't run a one man show.

MCNPA

« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2011, 01:31:51 PM »

I'll take Redick. He scored his points in the confines of the offense for the most part, and didn't run a one man show where he dominated the ball and chucked 30 foot 3 pointers all game. JJ played for some much more talented teams with more scoring distribution and still averaged 20 a game for his whole career. I'm just not a fan of the ball dominating/ hero chucker style Jimmer plays. If we could recruit a Jimmer clone or a JJ clone to join St Johns right now, I would take Redick. Maybe not the pure talent, but played in the style of the offense and din't run a one man show.

You're being swayed by the Duke/Shisheski method.  Jimmer took a lot of shots because he had to, and nobody could stop him.  Reddick took a lot of shots because he was a good shooter playing with 10 other McD's players.  Jimmer is the better player every day of the week regardless.  Using Duke players, that's like saying I'd choose Wojo over Kyrie Irving because he played better in the framework of the offense.

« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »
Zags latest article doesn't mention when Katin will visit St. John's, but his father Ernie will be on the East coast from Aug. 9-11 and he said he might check out the campus by himself.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/03/reinhardt-planning-visits/#more-55505
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:53:10 PM by kingofk1ngs »

« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »

Think the respective supporting casts of the two teams had something to do with the divergent styles of play?

Guy

« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »
Even though Jevon is a local, I would take guy over him in a heartbeat

« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »
Even though Jevon is a local, I would take guy over him in a heartbeat
Wait, you are saying you would take yourself, Guy, over Jevon?

Guy

« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
Ha no, I didn't even realize that when I posted. How could you not fall in love with this kid though after you watch his videos.

« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2011, 04:54:51 PM »
Ha no, I didn't even realize that when I posted. How could you not fall in love with this kid though after you watch his videos.
Am in love with him. Plan to propose soon. :) :) :)

« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »

Go for it..... we live in Zoo York, anything goes here. :D

LJSA

« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »

He's from Orange County. He may be too conservative for you.

« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »
Visiting Texas and Baylor as previously noted.  Has his list of 7 schools including SJU:

"It's going great, actually," said Reinhardt when asked about his summer. "Summer went well for me. I was hurt basically all of the July period with a sprained ankle, and then I played in Vegas and played very well. St. John's and West Virginia are my new offers."

In addition to St. John's and West Virginia, the nation's No. 43 prospect overall in the Rivals150 has put together a list of teams that are very interested in him, and teams with which he's communicating a lot.

"I think I have six or seven schools that are very interested in terms of calling and me staying in touch with them," the 6-4, 175-pound shooting guard stated. "I don't have a list of five, but these are the seven schools: Texas, Baylor, UNLV, Syracuse, Washington State, St. John's and West Virginia."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1250259

MCNPA

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »
Fordham, he also said he always wanted to choose by September, and might make a choice prior to taking his official to that campus.  Sounds like a kid will figure out where he wants to go and then take an official.  I still feel good about this kid. 

Gumby

« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2011, 01:30:28 AM »
I would like to think that a recruit would visit his top choice's campus at least once before making his decision.  Do recruits actual pick their schools without seeing the campuses (or is it campi)?

In Katin's situation, his father's pending trip may be that visit.  I think some of our 2011 recruits brought their families for their visits, and I might add, the parents were very impressed with our "new" campus.

However, I still think a high recruit like Katin would want to visit his top pick before making that final decision.

« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2011, 01:46:36 AM »

Think the respective supporting casts of the two teams had something to do with the divergent styles of play?

Sure, but it also makes the fact that Redick was such a steady source of his teams offense for 4 years all the more impressive when you consider the talent he had around him. MCNPA said that Jimmer was better then Redick because he could create his own show but there are two problems with that. One, Jimmer is "creating his own shot" against vastly inferior competition to what Duke faced, not to mention a lot of his created shots are really just 25 foot pull up jumpers where of course he isn't going to be guarded, and two, we don't know if Redick could have created his own shot at the college level because was never called upon to do so, but I do know that he could stop on a dime and bury a jump shot, much as we have seen Jimmer do. MCNPA said that all Redick did was run circles around the court all game and come off screens, as an indictment   of his game, but this is an immensely important skill to have as a shooter. It takes incredible stamina to run around like that and then rise up and knock down shots, while also fatiguing the defense.

So, while Jimmer may be able to create a shot for himself, Redick can too, by moving without the ball and using his teammates to create space for himself. What will come at the professional level (for Jimmer) is anybody's guess, but as college players, they were very similarly productive, sure they did it in different styles, and Redick did it mostly by running circles and releasing quick jumpers, but that's exactly the M.O. of Ray Allen, and who wants to guard Ray Allen?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:50:13 AM by nrmax88 »

MCNPA

« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2011, 03:46:39 AM »

Sure, but it also makes the fact that Redick was such a steady source of his teams offense for 4 years all the more impressive when you consider the talent he had around him. MCNPA said that Jimmer was better then Redick because he could create his own show but there are two problems with that. One, Jimmer is "creating his own shot" against vastly inferior competition to what Duke faced, not to mention a lot of his created shots are really just 25 foot pull up jumpers where of course he isn't going to be guarded, and two, we don't know if Redick could have created his own shot at the college level because was never called upon to do so, but I do know that he could stop on a dime and bury a jump shot, much as we have seen Jimmer do. MCNPA said that all Redick did was run circles around the court all game and come off screens, as an indictment   of his game, but this is an immensely important skill to have as a shooter. It takes incredible stamina to run around like that and then rise up and knock down shots, while also fatiguing the defense.

So, while Jimmer may be able to create a shot for himself, Redick can too, by moving without the ball and using his teammates to create space for himself. What will come at the professional level (for Jimmer) is anybody's guess, but as college players, they were very similarly productive, sure they did it in different styles, and Redick did it mostly by running circles and releasing quick jumpers, but that's exactly the M.O. of Ray Allen, and who wants to guard Ray Allen?

You lost all credibility comparing Reddick to Ray Allen.  Ray Allen did a lot more than that.  Jimmer could play reddick's role if he were at duke and probably better.  Difference is that Jimmer could also be a primary ball handler and distributor.  Jimmer also didn't do it against inferior competition.  He averaged almost 36 ppg and even singlehandedly crushed a Gonzaga team that dismantled us and dropped 36 vs Florida after that. 

crgreen

« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2011, 09:35:11 AM »

You lost all credibility comparing Reddick to Ray Allen.  Ray Allen did a lot more than that.  Jimmer could play reddick's role if he were at duke and probably better.  Difference is that Jimmer could also be a primary ball handler and distributor.  Jimmer also didn't do it against inferior competition.  He averaged almost 36 ppg and even singlehandedly crushed a Gonzaga team that dismantled us and dropped 36 vs Florida after that.

Is something missing from this post?   If Jimmer had averaged almost 36 I'd be singing his praises to high heaven.  But there's a huge difference between 36 and the 29 he actually scored ag ame (and yes, by padding his numbers with 52 against an average New Mexico team, 47 againt a pitiful Utah squad, and  76 in two games vs. a sub 20 win Colorado State team.

And most important re: Jimmer/JJ going forward:  JJ's 6'4.   Jimmer 6'2.  Not such a big deal when you're playing  in the 14th ranked conference in D-1 (WCC this past year), but a huge difference in the NBA

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2011, 11:27:44 AM »
I would like to think that a recruit would visit his top choice's campus at least once before making his decision.  Do recruits actual pick their schools without seeing the campuses (or is it campi)?

In Katin's situation, his father's pending trip may be that visit.  I think some of our 2011 recruits brought their families for their visits, and I might add, the parents were very impressed with our "new" campus.

However, I still think a high recruit like Katin would want to visit his top pick before making that final decision.

Anyone know if his Dad did indeed make it onto campus at some point. I think today was going to be his last day of the trip.

« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
@EvanDanielscout: Katin Reinhardt just committed to UNLV, per his father.

Well, seemed like a longshot anyway.

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2011, 11:41:47 AM »
Just Committed to UNLV per Evan Daniels