Katin Reinhardt - G - Mater Dei - San Juan Capistrano, CA - UNLV

• 170 replies
Re: Katin Reinhardt - G - Mater Dei - San Juan Capistrano, CA
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2011, 11:49:45 AM »
@EvanDanielscout: Katin Reinhardt just committed to UNLV, per his father.

Well, seemed like a longshot anyway.

I guess he envisioned getting the green light from Rice.  Nevertheless, good luck to Katin! 

sju89tr

« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2011, 12:04:07 PM »
Good luck to him, I think we have a need for size anyway rather than a 2 guard 

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2011, 12:30:17 PM »

I guess he envisioned getting the green light from Rice.  Nevertheless, good luck to Katin!

Some kids like to be the BIG FISH in the small pond...........  thing is the kid's just not that good.

Marillac

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »
Odd choice.  Good luck to him in the small pond he will be swimming in.  He seems like a good kid. 

gman

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
Guess he liked hearing he could be the next jimmer. Good luck to him.

Moose

« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2011, 12:56:17 PM »

Some kids like to be the BIG FISH in the small pond...........  thing is the kid's just not that good.

Come on. SMH
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2011, 01:23:03 PM »

Come on. SMH

Double SMH .  He didn't commit here .. so now he is no good?  Honestly Realfan.  How would you know how good he is?  It was a big decision for the kid and he chose the situation that he felt was best.  Wish the kid luck.  I am just glad we now don't have to hang on every recruits decision. 

LJSA

« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
thing is the kid's just not that good.

Yet Lavin would have wanted him to play the point for 15 minutes a game if Lindsey splits and Anderson goes elsewhere. Go figure.

Wods317

« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »
Its not like he picked Toledo or something UNLV is a solid program. We haven't missed on many guys so its weird when we do but we were only on this guy for a very small amount of time. This kid looks like a very good player and is rated highly by all the recruiting sites so anyone who says otherwise is misinformed. We wouldn't have been recruiting him if he wasn't that good.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:30:50 PM by Wods317 »

« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2011, 01:32:47 PM »
Dave Rice was on this kid all spring and summer since he was hired.  The guy just outworked everyone on Katin.

Good job by UNLV and move on.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:33:54 PM by fordham96 »

Gumby

« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
So do we now focus on Amile, or keep the spot open for 2013 or a transfer/JC?

« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
Duke hasn't had a lot of guards in general that are much better, but to be more specific white guards better than Jimmer.  Dude won the Naismith award for the best player in college basketball.  I wouldn't say they have had a LOT better than him.  As far as college guards go, Jimmer was top notch and his numbers I am sure could compare with most that Duke has put out.  In addition, he often did it through double-teams unlike any player at Duke.  No doubt they have had their share of excellent PG's, but Jimmer is up there with the better ones that Duke has put out.

Jimmer doesn't have dick on JJ Redick, in my opinion.

Jimmer is better than JJ Reddick every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  Reddick ran in a circle the entire game and came off screens for every shot.  Jimmer can create his own shot.

I'll take Redick. He scored his points in the confines of the offense for the most part, and didn't run a one man show where he dominated the ball and chucked 30 foot 3 pointers all game. JJ played for some much more talented teams with more scoring distribution and still averaged 20 a game for his whole career. I'm just not a fan of the ball dominating/ hero chucker style Jimmer plays. If we could recruit a Jimmer clone or a JJ clone to join St Johns right now, I would take Redick. Maybe not the pure talent, but played in the style of the offense and din't run a one man show.
Think the respective supporting casts of the two teams had something to do with the divergent styles of play?

Sure, but it also makes the fact that Redick was such a steady source of his teams offense for 4 years all the more impressive when you consider the talent he had around him. MCNPA said that Jimmer was better then Redick because he could create his own show but there are two problems with that. One, Jimmer is "creating his own shot" against vastly inferior competition to what Duke faced, not to mention a lot of his created shots are really just 25 foot pull up jumpers where of course he isn't going to be guarded, and two, we don't know if Redick could have created his own shot at the college level because was never called upon to do so, but I do know that he could stop on a dime and bury a jump shot, much as we have seen Jimmer do. MCNPA said that all Redick did was run circles around the court all game and come off screens, as an indictment   of his game, but this is an immensely important skill to have as a shooter. It takes incredible stamina to run around like that and then rise up and knock down shots, while also fatiguing the defense.

So, while Jimmer may be able to create a shot for himself, Redick can too, by moving without the ball and using his teammates to create space for himself. What will come at the professional level (for Jimmer) is anybody's guess, but as college players, they were very similarly productive, sure they did it in different styles, and Redick did it mostly by running circles and releasing quick jumpers, but that's exactly the M.O. of Ray Allen, and who wants to guard Ray Allen?

You lost all credibility comparing Reddick to Ray Allen.  Ray Allen did a lot more than that.  Jimmer could play reddick's role if he were at duke and probably better.  Difference is that Jimmer could also be a primary ball handler and distributor.  Jimmer also didn't do it against inferior competition.  He averaged almost 36 ppg and even singlehandedly crushed a Gonzaga team that dismantled us and dropped 36 vs Florida after that.

Again, cite Jimmers production through his career, but Redick was equally as productive (more, considering he was very good even as a frosh and a soph), while playing in the confines of the offense and competing with much better players, both defending him and also competing with good players on his own team for minutes and points. I lose all credibility by comparing Allen to Redick? Ok, I guess it's a good thing I don't care one iota about my credibility with you, but Ray Allen has been running off screens for the last ten years, and considering you said it is all Redick can do, I think it is a reasonable comparison. Maybe Allen was more explosive when he was younger or something, but that doesn't really have anything to do with anything. You are indicting a ridiculously productive player, one of the more productive college players in recent memory, because he ran off screens and played a team concept. At least with Ray Allens Celtic career, that is precisely what he has been asked to do, and not to many people enjoy guarding that guy. Also, if your case that Jimmer is hands down better then JJ is so slam dunk, why are you completely fabricating statistics to prove your point?

MCNPA

« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »
Congrats to him.  I really liked his game.  We only got on him recently, so thought we might be able to pry our way in. 

« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »
Damn, I love the PG's who can pass the ball. Would have loved to have him running the show in Queens, but figuring Anderson coming on board-not much time to be had

« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2011, 06:52:06 PM »
UNLV is going to be legit again. Watchout they are bringing that program back to the LJ days
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »
Damn, I love the PG's who can pass the ball. Would have loved to have him running the show in Queens, but figuring Anderson coming on board-not much time to be had

Weren't you saying Kyle to SHU all this time?

Guy

« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2011, 07:36:48 PM »
Mother

« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2011, 08:05:04 PM »

I think I rescinded that statement in 1 if these threads. Hopefully I dont put the mush on this, but Im going to say there is no way Anderson wont be a Johnny. At this point, if Lavin wants you-its got to be pretty damn tough to turn him down. In the past, we would be begging a guy like Dingle(just using him as an example) to stay home and play. Now it seems we dont even have a scholarship for players like him. Also, players who are not elite(top 50) probably realize there would be minimal minutes for a few years at the Guard,Wing,SF positions. This staff and program are the hottest in the Nation imo, recruits and their handlers would have to be living under a rock not to realize this

Moose

« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »

I think I rescinded that statement in 1 if these threads. Hopefully I dont put the mush on this, but Im going to say there is no way Anderson wont be a Johnny. At this point, if Lavin wants you-its got to be pretty damn tough to turn him down. In the past, we would be begging a guy like Dingle(just using him as an example) to stay home and play. Now it seems we dont even have a scholarship for players like him. Also, players who are not elite(top 50) probably realize there would be minimal minutes for a few years at the Guard,Wing,SF positions. This staff and program are the hottest in the Nation imo, recruits and their handlers would have to be living under a rock not to realize this

I'm intrigued to know what changed your mind.  I also don't recall you rescinding it but I will take your word for it.

Re: Katin Reinhardt - G - Mater Dei - San Juan Capistrano, CA - UNLV
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2011, 07:40:30 AM »
UNLV is going to be legit again. Watchout they are bringing that program back to the LJ days

Wouldnt go that far, bre.
I mean UNLV '90, '91 was the best college bball team I ever seen.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.