Katin Reinhardt - G - Mater Dei - San Juan Capistrano, CA - UNLV

• 170 replies

Marillac

Re: Katin Reinhardt - G - Mater Dei - San Juan Capistrano, CA
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2011, 03:06:15 AM »
He could be Rice's new Fredette if he goes to UNLV (and plays garbage teams all year long) or he can come to St. John's and guarantee himself a dozen articles hailing him as the next Mullin :)

Jimmer is a once in a lifetime kind of recruit for Rice and he'll ruin Katin if he tries to mold him into Jimmer. 

MCNPA

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2011, 11:20:40 AM »
From looking at Katin's comments, he is flattering to all schools.  Not sure why a kid his level would head to UNLV at this point, although he sure is getting his twitter bombarded by UNLV fans.  It seems he's buddies with Norvel, and Katin recently commented that he is playing in some all-star game in NY relatively soon.  I think his connection to other west coast players like Pelle and Garrett can certainly help us in his recruitment.  Have a good feeling about his game.  We really could use a kid like him who can handle, drive, dish and shoot at his size.  He can also be used in a lot of roles, as a PG or as a shooter.  He'd be a fan favorite in NY for sure.  His game has the swag make things real exciting in MSG for a few years... 8)

crgreen

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2011, 11:53:41 AM »
FWIW, UCLA transfer Mike Moser was promised the same kind of freedom at UNLV....and the former Oregon Mr. Basketball, a 6'7 195 wing, was 28pts/13 rebs as a Sr., 21 pts/12 rebs as a Jr, 20 pts/12 rebs as a soph, and 18pts/13 rebs as a frosh.  Unfortunately for Mike, he came to UCLA in the same class at the same position as Tyler Honeycutt.

Don't know if UNLV's promises will be lived up to - Mike will be a soph for them this year, after reportedly dominating UNLV star Chace Stanback (13pts 6 rebs as a jr this year)  in practice all this past season while sitting out his transfer year.

And that's also reportedly similar to what was promised to U$C 6'5 210 guard Bryce Jones, a rising soph sitting out HIS transfer year this season at UNLV.   Maxpreps had Jones as the #36 player in the class of 2010.  Scout had him higher, at #69.     There are two HS divisions in Southern California - LA City and CIF-Southern Section.  In 2010, Dwayne Polee was LA City POY, Bryce Jones was CIF POY.

Hope Katin does his homework.   UNLV isn't going to be a BYU one-trick-pony ride by the time he'd get there.   The "freedom" he's being promised just WON'T be there.   

Maybe Rice CAN eventually get UNLV back to greatness.  But it ain't there now.   I can see going there to be a top dog in the junkyard, okay.    But if you're just going to be part of a  pack instead, why settle for a freaking junkyard????

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »
FWIW, UCLA transfer Mike Moser was promised the same kind of freedom at UNLV....and the former Oregon Mr. Basketball, a 6'7 195 wing, was 28pts/13 rebs as a Sr., 21 pts/12 rebs as a Jr, 20 pts/12 rebs as a soph, and 18pts/13 rebs as a frosh.  Unfortunately for Mike, he came to UCLA in the same class at the same position as Tyler Honeycutt.

Don't know if UNLV's promises will be lived up to - Mike will be a soph for them this year, after reportedly dominating UNLV star Chace Stanback (13pts 6 rebs as a jr this year)  in practice all this past season while sitting out his transfer year.

And that's also reportedly similar to what was promised to U$C 6'5 210 guard Bryce Jones, a rising soph sitting out HIS transfer year this season at UNLV.   Maxpreps had Jones as the #36 player in the class of 2010.  Scout had him higher, at #69.     There are two HS divisions in Southern California - LA City and CIF-Southern Section.  In 2010, Dwayne Polee was LA City POY, Bryce Jones was CIF POY.

Hope Katin does his homework.   UNLV isn't going to be a BYU one-trick-pony ride by the time he'd get there.   The "freedom" he's being promised just WON'T be there.   

Maybe Rice CAN eventually get UNLV back to greatness.  But it ain't there now.   I can see going there to be a top dog in the junkyard, okay.    But if you're just going to be part of a  pack instead, why settle for a freaking junkyard????
A guy like Katin would benefit from a strong supporting cast like we have.  He's good but double teams can change a lot.  Leave any of our new guys alone and it would be suicidal with a passer like him.  With the lockout and fan resentment against the NBA St John's would be the media darlings of the tri-state area.  If Katin's looking for fame and fortune there's only one place to go.  If he winds up in Podunk it will be a tragic waste of talent.  Lavin is the best promoter around and it would be like shooting ducks in a bucket to get exposure for this team.

MCNPA

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2011, 06:13:42 PM »
Katin friendly with Pelle and now close with Gathers.  I get a good feeling about this one.

« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »
Katin friendly with Pelle and now close with Gathers.  I get a good feeling about this one.

I'm sure both Pelle and Gathers are gonna work 'em.  Hopefully, Reinhardt is planning on visiting next month (which, I have a feeling he will make a visit). 

An interesting month coming up.

Gumby

« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »
It will indeed be a very interesting month, or should I say 51 days.

Sounds like we have commited recruits helping us with both Katin and Amile, and every body assisting with KA.

When KA comes on board on 9/20 that I believe leaves one spot open.  I hope Katin and Amile know that.

What a great position Coach Lavin has put us in.

Both players have great skills.  We can only win with either player.

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2011, 08:32:17 PM »
It will indeed be a very interesting month, or should I say 51 days.

Sounds like we have commited recruits helping us with both Katin and Amile, and every body assisting with KA.

When KA comes on board on 9/20 that I believe leaves one spot open.  I hope Katin and Amile know that.

What a great position Coach Lavin has put us in.

Both players have great skills.  We can only win with either player.

*If KA Comes on board*

Gumby

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2011, 08:43:18 PM »
I stopped being "worried" since the Bayou Bull and others asked me to trust in Coach Lavin, so I will stick with my positive phraseology, and go with "When KA comes on board on 9/20!".  Others, who worry, can go with the "if".

How am I doing Moose and MJ?   

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »
I stopped being "worried" since the Bayou Bull and others asked me to trust in Coach Lavin, so I will stick with my positive phraseology, and go with "When KA comes on board on 9/20!".  Others, who worry, can go with the "if".

How am I doing Moose and MJ?   

LOL  I love your confidence, Gumby.  Really, I do.  I'm close to start saying, "when," but I wanna hold off for a few more weeks and will continue to say, "if."

Not to hijack Reinhardt's thread, but I'll say this much....  If, Kyle visits St. John's again before his announcement date then I'll start to say "when." 

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2011, 08:12:46 AM »
I aint never seen this kid before.
So a question: Why they listin him as a 2g when the highlights make him look like he a straight up point?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2011, 08:20:44 AM »
I aint never seen this kid before.
So a question: Why they listin him as a 2g when the highlights make him look like he a straight up point?

Good question.  When he committed to USC in December he cited the fact they wanted him to play shooting guard as a reason for the choice.  He looks like an old school scoring guard that can get it done in a variety of ways.  He supposed to be a sensational shooter as well. 

You'd think the kid would want to play point at his height to be more appealing to NBA scouts. 

Marillac

« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2011, 08:58:34 AM »
Katin Reinhardt Highlights

Katin's sophomore highlights.  Shows everything in this video and makes two defenders fall on their arses.  Highlight video or not, there wasn't a player on our roster last year that could make some of the passes he makes in this. 

Gumby

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2011, 11:17:50 AM »
Wow, looks like the real deal!

I looked at his sophomore video.  I liked how he boxed out his opponent when that player shot.  His court vision is great.  That keeps every one of his team mates in the game, as a pass could be coming at any time.  Do we know his 3 pt shooting average?

He could be a very special player for us.

Wods317

« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/08/01/katin-reinhardt-to-trim-list-soon/

Looks like he is going to trim his list down to 5. I really want this kid, he has a great handle and passing ability. Also looks like he can really shoot which is something you can always use more of.

Moose

« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2011, 01:28:08 PM »

Looks like he is going to trim his list down to 5. I really want this kid, he has a great handle and passing ability. Also looks like he can really shoot which is something you can always use more of.

I'd be pretty shocked if we're not in his Final 5.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »

Old news Zags...

Posted a few days ago...

http://johnnyjungle.com/columns/over-the-airwaves/katin-reinhardt-of-mater-dei-another-california-prospect-on-st-johns-radar/
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2011, 02:32:29 PM »
Also looks like he can really shoot which is something you can always use more of.

No doubt about it!  Always a premium on shooters.  Even moreso, with a guy who is capable of creating his own shot.

« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »
Also looks like he can really shoot which is something you can always use more of.

No doubt about it!  Always a premium on shooters.  Even moreso, with a guy who is capable of creating his own shot.
good mechanics too

« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »

MJ - even Durantula is giving him props.  His head's gonna swell!