Tafari Whittingham - F/C - Lincoln High School - Brooklyn, NY - SOUTH ALABAMA

• 28 replies

IcemanSTJ

• Enjoy life to the fullest!
http://www.ctpost.com/highschool/article/Stratford-big-man-Whittingham-transfers-1748371.php

Last month it was swingman Tom Bajda. This month's Stratford basketball departure is big man Tafari Whittingham.

Whittingham, who is to be a senior, confirmed Friday that he will be transferring to Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, N.Y., the same high school NBA player Sebastian Telfair, and former NBA player Stephon Marbury attended.

"Basically I wanted to get a better opportunity to showcase my skills," said Whittingham, who also said he made his decision to transfer at the beginning of the summer.

Last month Bajda transferred to the Winchendon School in Winchendon, Mass.

Stratford coach Paul Dudzinski said Whittingham told him a few days ago that he was transferring. The Red Devils coach also said that losing two key players in one summer is frustrating.

"Yeah, it's frustrating," Dudzinski said, "but I understand it. It's (still) frustrating. I just think it just makes it difficult to have a (player-coach) relationship and I just don't have an answer. I don't have control. There's many factors (why an athlete would transfer). Believe me I'm frustrated about that, but you know, I've had it the other way. I've had kids transfer in, not just this year but in the past. Just unfortunately now, I have some guys transferring out."

Last season was Whittingham's first at Stratford after spending two years at Avon Old Farm. The 6-foot-7 center enjoyed some statistical success with the Red Devils, but was also suspended for two games for an undisclosed reason.

Whittingham said he had no issues with the coaching staff at Stratford.

"There weren't any issues at all," Whittingham said. "It was an all around experience and the coaches and faculty were amazing and helped out a lot."

Whittingham, who plays AAU basketball and just finished winning MVP in the Hoop Group Elite Camp Session III top 20-41 All-Star game in Reading, Pa., said he has been contacted by Robert Morris, Dayton, Siena, Iona, Villanova, St. John's and Hofstra.

According to Dudzinski, AAU is giving elite high school basketball players exposure they've never had before, but it is making it harder to keep them at a public school.

"These kids, they're going to Orlando and Vegas and being exposed to a lot," Dudzinski said."You know, I'm jumping on a bus to go to a SWC game. It's just different. I don't know. I can't tell you that AAU has become more important to a lot of people than high school basketball. I think you're seeing that maybe happening across the nation."

Read more: http://www.ctpost.com/highschool/article/Stratford-big-man-Whittingham-transfers-1748371.php#ixzz1ULnv2ADO
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:21:09 PM by Moose »

Re: Tafari Whittingham - F/C - Lincoln High School - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:21:49 AM »
I like him. He's very mobile. He was probably a top 20 player at camp but I think he got more exposure being in the 21-40 game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:59:59 AM »
What a stupid answer for why he transferred.  The NYSPHAA will be all over him. 

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:51:52 AM »
The PSAL & Tiny Morton are a disgrace.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »
Any updates on this guy?

Moose

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
Any updates on this guy?

Don't need any. 
If your asking about Iona, he's perfect for you.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Happy

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:13:17 AM »
Any updates on this guy?

Most likely Juco

Moose

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:14:07 AM »
Any updates on this guy?

Most likely Juco

What happened to Prep for a year?

Happy

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »
Any updates on this guy?

Most likely Juco

I suppose that is an option still.. Just heard he was visiting a Juco the day of the event at Baruch.

Moose

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »
Any updates on this guy?

Most likely Juco

I suppose that is an option still.. Just heard he was visiting a Juco the day of the event at Baruch.

Should just go to Monroe.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 01:34:32 AM »
Lincoln's Tafari Whittingham has signed with JUCO Hutchinson Community College.

http://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/195734535122591745

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 07:47:07 AM »
Shocking another PSAL player doesn't make the grades to play as a Freshman.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 10:43:54 AM »
Or more accurately, shocking, the PSAL betrays another teenager to the point that they are unequipped in terms of both skills and status to fully pursue their goals in a timely manner.

Chilleb

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
Besides lance let's name some guys who successfully went from psal to a high major program

pmg911

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »
Or more accurately, shocking, the PSAL betrays another teenager to the point that they are unequipped in terms of both skills and status to fully pursue their goals in a timely manner.

Of course, blame the system instead of holding the student accountable.

redslope

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 01:55:52 PM »

Of course, blame the system instead of holding the student accountable.

The system Knows it is broken--the Chancellor has closed 20 schools officially last night.  they will reopen in fall with at least 50% new teachers and new administrators.  It is not only the student that is a fault.  How did Rob Thomas get into HS even though he could not read due to learning disabilities.  Where were the schools in his case that they could not identify it.

PIB

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »
When do parents start being held accountable for their children? I'm curious to learn when this will occur. It's the teacher. It's the principal. It's the system. LOL. It's all a bunch of rhetoric, smoke and mirrors, a diversion if you will. The real issue is the parents. Let's call a spade a spade. When parents reinforce the value of an education at home, their children tend to learn. The correlation is strong. When parents do not emphasize the value of an education, their children tend to struggle. The correlation is strong. When will people address a major part of the issue? Parenting.

Moose

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 02:52:12 PM »
When do parents start being held accountable for their children? I'm curious to learn when this will occur. It's the teacher. It's the principal. It's the system. LOL. It's all a bunch of rhetoric, smoke and mirrors, a diversion if you will. The real issue is the parents. Let's call a spade a spade. When parents reinforce the value of an education at home, their children tend to learn. The correlation is strong. When parents do not emphasize the value of an education, their children tend to struggle. The correlation is strong. When will people address a major part of the issue? Parenting.

I got no dog in the fight either way but to rebut your point, a parent in most cases has a job, some cased two.  The kids are at school for such a large chunk of the day.  The educators are being paid to teach kids.  I think its the parents job to make sure they get the kids to school.  Once they are there its on the educators.  Then after school there is room for extra work and attention but you have to be wary of overload. 

SJU85

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 03:05:33 PM »
Besides lance let's name some guys who successfully went from psal to a high major program

In recent years, I can't think too many, Eugene Lawrence Lincoln - St. Johns, James Padgett Lincoln - Maryland come to mind.  Harkless didn't go to prep school his last year of H.S. instead of finishing up at Forest Hills because of grads, so he probably would have been another.

In Whittingham's case, he was in a NYC public school for one year, so unless he really bombed out this year, his challenges can't be blamed on Lincoln.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:06:03 PM by SJU85 »

Moose

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »

In recent years, I can't think too many, Eugene Lawrence Lincoln - St. Johns, James Padgett Lincoln - Maryland come to mind.  Harkless didn't go to prep school his last year of H.S. instead of finishing up at Forest Hills because of grads, so he probably would have been another.

In Whittingham's case, he was in a NYC public school for one year, so unless he really bombed out this year, his challenges can't be blamed on Lincoln.

Not sure how I was reading what you wrote re: Moe but he left Forest Hills to play better comp, not grades related.