Dominic Artis - PG - Findlay Prep - Richmond, CA - OREGON

• 38 replies
Dominic Artis - PG - Findlay Prep - Richmond, CA - OREGON
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »
I check Scout & other sites once a week & Dominic popped up this week. Recently decomitted from UCLA ( KA  dominoe ?) & now lists an offer from SJU.  Scout has an "insider only" article, If anyone here has access ?

He is listed as top 50 by Rivals, Scout & ESPN
There are a few posts on the KA thread specific to Artis only if the Mods want to transfer them here

per scout:   http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=5017846

A player who has come a very long way from his junior to senior year, Artis is a true point guard who knows his job is to make his teammates better and does a terrific job of it. He uses his handles to get by the defender and then immediately spots the open teammate, putting him in position to score. Artis is improving as a scorer and a shooter, but his main talent is how he manages his team.

And from a scout article 2 months ago   http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1091236.html
Arguably the most important commitment to any singular team during the month was Dominic Artis to UCLA.
Artis not only fills a huge need for the Bruins at the point guard position....
Look for Artis to have some upward movement in the rankings when they are updated next.

and from ESPN  http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation?id=67266&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fcollege-sports%2fbasketball%2frecruiting%2fplayer%2fevaluation%3fid%3d67266

Artis is looking like the No. 1 point guard prospect out west for his class. He has solid speed, quickness, and he changes gears very well to separate from opponents. He doesn't have ideal height for the high-major level, but he does have very long arms ...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:02:27 PM by jumpinjohnny »
Molloy '71

Dominic Artis-Findlay Prep 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
It appears that SJU has reached out to Artis upon his re-opening of his recruitment so I started a new thread for 2012.  Again says he will start to take visits and narrow it down within a week.  Will be interesting to see if SJU gets a visit. 

Dominic's uncle, Derrick Artis, says several programs besides UCLA have inquired about the four-star point guard.

"Memphis, Kansas, California, Oregon and Saint John's are the calls I've taken, but I don't know about the calls his stepdad or his AAU coach Mark (Olivier) has taken," Artis said.

"They all talk about visits so I would I think they're all offers. At this point in the game it's a little late to just recruit without offering."

Derrick Artis says his nephew will be able to get to the next phase of his recruitment shortly.

"Probably in the next week we'll narrow it all down," he said.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1115818.html

Re: Dominic Artis-Findlay Prep 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »
fordham- you're too slow

I opened a thread for him 30 min ago- Mods- combine ?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 04:10:30 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Re: Dominic Artis-Findlay Prep 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
Sorry.  The moderators have that power and they should feel free to combine my thread with yours.

kjd01067

Re: Dominic Artis - PG - Findley Prep - Richmond, CA
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »
Sorry.  The moderators have that power and they should feel free to combine my thread with yours.

No problem!  Everything is now merged

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 04:25:14 PM »
I heard he may not leave the west coast.  I'd certainly take him, but I'd like to see the Johnnies land a couple of PF/C types.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:06 PM »
I heard he may not leave the west coast.  I'd certainly take him, but I'd like to see the Johnnies land a couple of PF/C types.
If all 3 non qualifers do come, then a PG fits fine for last 2012
If any one of 3 doesn't, then yes a PF/C to replace in spring.
I guess we'll know our needs in a month when any/all resign their NLI in November
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:34:16 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 08:42:07 PM »
Would be a great grab.  I think UCLA might have been better off with a true point like Artis.

crgreen

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »
If all 3 non qualifers do come, then a PG fits fine for last 2012
If any one of 3 doesn't, then yes a PF/C to replace in spring.
I guess we'll know our needs in a month when any/all resign their NLI in November

Am I missing something?   Don't we have at least 3 rides to give for the 2012 class, whether the non-qualifiers  make it or not?

Just think of Artis as the replacment for Jevon Thomas (one decommit for another!).   A disclaimer - I obviously want him with the Bruins - but realistically, decommits seldom recommit to the original team.    Man, Steve must have called from his hospital bed!

Moose

Re: Dominic Artis - PG - Findlay Prep - Richmond, CA
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 10:11:39 PM »
Has anyone seen him play in person?
He looks Tiny in his videos.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 10:20:03 PM »

I've seen him play in the person the last two years (at the Peach Jam).  He would occasionally get some burn on the loaded Soldiers' team from a year ago, but I could tell he had some skills.

He was one of the focal points of the Soldiers' squad this season and he flourished.  He has a slick crossover and able to get to tin due to his quickness.  Artis is also a solid shooter behind the arc.

He would certainly be a solid get for the Johnnies, but I'd rather focus on the frontcourt.

Moose

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 10:33:29 PM »

I've seen him play in the person the last two years (at the Peach Jam).  He would occasionally get some burn on the loaded Soldiers' team from a year ago, but I could tell he had some skills.

He was one of the focal points of the Soldiers' squad this season and he flourished.  He has a slick crossover and able to get to tin due to his quickness.  Artis is also a solid shooter behind the arc.

He would certainly be a solid get for the Johnnies, but I'd rather focus on the frontcourt.

I see him and I'm sure Lavin sees Tyus Edney in him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »

That's possible....  Although, he's a better athlete (and shoots it bit better) than Edney.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:41:57 PM by mjdinkins »

LJSA

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 10:49:27 PM »
He also played on the same team as highly regarded Jabari Bird.

crgreen

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 12:15:45 AM »

Dom is quick, but not THAT quick (haven't really seen anyone who is!).   More like  the very young Darrick Martin (the senior Edney beat out for the starting job as a freshman) - quick and strong.    Then again, Darrick played 9 more years in the league (13) than did Tyus :)

LJSA

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 12:26:58 AM »
crgreen:
What is Tyus' real height? I'm convinced he wasn't close to 5'10".

sju89tr

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 09:51:46 AM »

Jabari Brown?

LJSA

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »

Jabari Brown?

Apparently Jabari is a popular name in the Bay Area. There's a kid named Jabari Bird who played with Artis at Salesian. I think he's up to top 25 on some sites for 2013.

crgreen

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »
crgreen:
What is Tyus' real height? I'm convinced he wasn't close to 5'10".

Ah - basektball measurements - the old "with shoes".   Tyus in bare feet is about 5'9.  But in shoes he's a legit 5'10, 5'10.5.
The Bruins Addidas usually add about 1.25" inches.

DraftExpress has an historical list of the NBA pre-draft camp measurements (unfortunately no Edney), but it's pretty interesting: 
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=All&source=All&sort2=ASC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=2