Nerlens Noel - PF - Tilton School - Everett, MA - KENTUCKY

• 48 replies
Nerlens Noel - PF - Tilton School - Everett, MA - KENTUCKY
« on: November 20, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/97363/nerlens-noel

Does anyone think this kid is a legit 6'10? Or is he 6'10 with that hairstyle? (jk)

Also, does anyone know if were are following him?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:54:39 PM by kjd01067 »

Moose

Re: Nerlens Noel
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/97363/nerlens-noel

Does anyone think this kid is a legit 6'10? Or is he 6'10 with that hairstyle? (jk)

Haven't ever seen or heard us listed with him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 10:56:59 PM »

He's a monster
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Nerlens Noel - PF - Tilton School - Everett, MA
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 11:55:33 PM »
I wish we were after him but no I dont think we ever reached out

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 05:36:22 AM »

WHY?

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 10:35:04 AM »

WHY?

Wouldn't get him. No need to waste time.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 11:55:33 AM »

He's a monster
Although this other 280 lb monster served up a little somethin somethin on him this summer...

Shaquille Cleare Dunks Over Nerlens Noel

need to focus on next year cuz my other guys gonna struggle all season.  And I'll focus on the terrific talent developing all year - can't wait to see how the guys fare during Beast season - at least Amir will be there giving some big help.  That'll make two shutdown defenders with SirDom and Amir
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:58:28 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 12:53:22 PM »

WHY?

Dave, how come you say that we wouldn't get him? Is it because you think MA is Calhoun territory? Or is it for some other reason? At his point, I have we are looking at all big men that have some talent. 

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:54:31 PM by Johnny4Life »

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 02:16:55 PM »

WHY?

Dave, how come you say that we wouldn't get him? Is it because you think MA is Calhoun territory? Or is it for some other reason? At his point, I have we are looking at all big men that have some talent. 

I could be wrong, but I believe this staff will put out feelers and see where they stand.  If they do not feel or see any receptiveness then they'll move on.  I know that was the case with Angelo Chol (current freshmen with Arizona).  Not to mention, I think it's probably too late in the game to get involved with Noel. 

desco80

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
This report claims coach was on hand to watch Noel play yesterday.   Along with Cal and Cooley.   But Lav could just as likely have been there to catch Jakar or another recruit playing in the tournament.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-1121/bosworth-sundays-national-prep-showcase-breakdown/

Moose

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 02:44:49 PM »
This report claims coach was on hand to watch Noel play yesterday.   Along with Cal and Cooley.   But Lav could just as likely have been there to catch Jakar or another recruit playing in the tournament.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-1121/bosworth-sundays-national-prep-showcase-breakdown/

Also could have been there to see Noel teammate Goodluck Okonoboh

*Fixed quote KJD

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:58:52 PM by kjd01067 »

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »

Also could have been there to see Noel teammate Goodluck Okonoboh

*Fixed quote KJD

Hmmmmmmm....  Maybe, Lavin is attempting to reach out to Noel.  A good attempt, if he feels he has a chance.

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 01:51:52 AM »
http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/7531028/top-recruit-nerlens-noel-moves-back-class-2012

Is there any chance Lavin is trying? This would obviously be a huge get.

Moose

crgreen

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »
Don't kids at least have to produce SOMETHING in high school these days?   Just found the Maxpreps page for Noel's season at Tilton Prep in NH.   Gotta say I'm flabbergasted.  http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/7T4_J5xWREOBs3wklmWk-Q/basketball-winter-11-12/stats-nerlens-noel.htm

Every report I've heard on Noel is that he's the best shotblocker in High School (mabye the best in a decade) and a dominant rebounder and defender who's offense is developing.  So I've been looking for his numbers - I've seen some pretty good HS shot blockers in my day.  My Bruins have a pretty good one sitting on their bench - in leading RennaissanceHigh to the State title 4 years ago, Anthony Stover blocked almost 10 a game.

So what are the numbers?  14 pts, 11 rebs, 4.0 rebs, and a 33-3 win loss mark.   OH WAIT - THOSE Aren't Noels - Those are  FREAKING BOBO MORGAN'S numbers in high school.   Bobo had arguably the worst HS stats of any HS center I've ever seen who made top 30 in the RSCI.  Well, Noel's are WORSE.   12.6 pts.  8.9 rebs.  3.9 blocks.  22-8 won-loss record.

THREE POINT NINE BLOCKS? 8 losses??? ARE THEY FREAKING KIDDING????   Gotta say, something looked fishy in that Jordan Brand game, where the only offense was everybody trying to slash to the rim - a PERFECT scenario for "the best shot blocker in HS basketball - and he could only get TWO of them, and almost fouled out trying to play defense.

You all know I'm a stats guy.  But I do realize they don't tell the whole story.  But there IS as story told by less than 13 pts, less than 9 rebs and less than 4 blocks, and a 22-8 record.  And the story shouldn't end with #1 ranked prospect.  Just shouldn't. 

I get the potential.   But this really seems to be some kind of "Anthony Davis" effect.  Look what Davis did, and this kid is Davis II.   But I gotta believe if this is 3 years ago, there's a good chance Noel is "Hassan Whiteside II" and somehere middle of the pack in this class.  Except, of course, Whiteside blocked more than double the shots Noel did in high school (and more than Davis in their mutual frosh - and only - college seasons 4.9 to 4.7 per game).

Sorry this seems so disjointed. I am just truly flabbergasted.

MCNPA

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 10:11:48 PM »
Don't kids at least have to produce SOMETHING in high school these days?   Just found the Maxpreps page for Noel's season at Tilton Prep in NH.   Gotta say I'm flabbergasted.  http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/7T4_J5xWREOBs3wklmWk-Q/basketball-winter-11-12/stats-nerlens-noel.htm

Every report I've heard on Noel is that he's the best shotblocker in High School (mabye the best in a decade) and a dominant rebounder and defender who's offense is developing.  So I've been looking for his numbers - I've seen some pretty good HS shot blockers in my day.  My Bruins have a pretty good one sitting on their bench - in leading RennaissanceHigh to the State title 4 years ago, Anthony Stover blocked almost 10 a game.

So what are the numbers?  14 pts, 11 rebs, 4.0 rebs, and a 33-3 win loss mark.   OH WAIT - THOSE Aren't Noels - Those are  FREAKING BOBO MORGAN'S numbers in high school.   Bobo had arguably the worst HS stats of any HS center I've ever seen who made top 30 in the RSCI.  Well, Noel's are WORSE.   12.6 pts.  8.9 rebs.  3.9 blocks.  22-8 won-loss record.

THREE POINT NINE BLOCKS? 8 losses??? ARE THEY FREAKING KIDDING????   Gotta say, something looked fishy in that Jordan Brand game, where the only offense was everybody trying to slash to the rim - a PERFECT scenario for "the best shot blocker in HS basketball - and he could only get TWO of them, and almost fouled out trying to play defense.

You all know I'm a stats guy.  But I do realize they don't tell the whole story.  But there IS as story told by less than 13 pts, less than 9 rebs and less than 4 blocks, and a 22-8 record.  And the story shouldn't end with #1 ranked prospect.  Just shouldn't. 

I get the potential.   But this really seems to be some kind of "Anthony Davis" effect.  Look what Davis did, and this kid is Davis II.   But I gotta believe if this is 3 years ago, there's a good chance Noel is "Hassan Whiteside II" and somehere middle of the pack in this class.  Except, of course, Whiteside blocked more than double the shots Noel did in high school (and more than Davis in their mutual frosh - and only - college seasons 4.9 to 4.7 per game).

Anthony Davis is twice the player Noel is at both ends of the floor.  I've  said it all along.  Not even close.  The truth always comes out when they get to college.  Noel is a very good shotblocker for sure.  Not nearly the best I've seen though.  Davis was a monster at both ends and has just scratched the surface.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 10:28:09 PM »

THREE POINT NINE BLOCKS? 8 losses??? ARE THEY FREAKING KIDDING? ???   Gotta say, something looked fishy in that Jordan Brand game, where the only offense was everybody trying to slash to the rim - a PERFECT scenario for "the best shot blocker in HS basketball - and he could only get TWO of them, and almost fouled out trying to play defense.

well, anyone that wants to join me at Barclays Center on Nov. 9th to see something like this play I posted last November on JJ is more than welcome...  :D
Now, I just need the "Under Armour Twins" to "Activate" to the Terps and it's fully on with UK...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1idb4cTl760" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shaquille Cleare Dunks Over Nerlens Noel

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:31:44 PM by bball purist »

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »

I agree with you, CR.  8.9 rebounds?  Really!?  He doesn't even play at the highest NEPSAC level!  I just don't get what the scouts see in this kid to rate him so high.  I feel like every once in a while a recruit really benefits from following the best player in the country at the same position.  Anthony Davis is a FREAK...and many probably felt that Noel--essentially the same size and position--would be similar.  NOT.EVEN.CLOSE.  This kid has bust written all over him.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him in Queens, but he's can't even carry Davis' jock.  I hope nobody forces comparisons, because they aren't there.

crgreen

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 12:18:30 AM »

I agree with you, CR.  8.9 rebounds?  Really!?  He doesn't even play at the highest NEPSAC level!  I just don't get what the scouts see in this kid to rate him so high.  I feel like every once in a while a recruit really benefits from following the best player in the country at the same position.  Anthony Davis is a FREAK...and many probably felt that Noel--essentially the same size and position--would be similar.  NOT.EVEN.CLOSE.  This kid has bust written all over him.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love him in Queens, but he's can't even carry Davis' jock.  I hope nobody forces comparisons, because they aren't there.

My post was really disjointed - I apologize if anyone thought I was saying Noel is a potential bust.   It's just that he isn't close to the best shotblocker in high school ball.  I'm sorry - 3.9 per game at the NEPSAC II level is DECENNT, not "the best".    And not close to baeing the #1 prospect.   I tried to allude to that with the Whiteside reference - as I said - middle of the pack - top 30-70 or thereabouts.   But I also referenced Bobo Morgan - the #2 center in the 2008 class.   He'll be a 5th year senior next season at Baylor, if he ever sees the floor.  His first 3 years at D-1 have been 2.3pts/1reb, 1.9pts/1.3rebs, and 3.0pts/2 rebs.  And 60 blocks in 90 games for a guy who outblocked Noel in high school.....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:19:15 AM by crgreen »

gman

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 11:06:06 AM »
I agree vd. I don't see the.next crop.of talent to UK having the same impact. This years team was special. A truely talented and unselfish team. that isn't going to happen just because the next class is rated #1 this strategy.won't work every year. .