Felix Balamou - SG - Our Savior New American - Centerreach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 344 replies

lihoop

Has anyone one seen Balamou play?

A second-team All-IS8 selection, Balamou has interest from St. John’s and Virginia Tech.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:58:52 PM by kjd01067 »

ras

Re: Felix Balamou - SG - Our Savior New American - Centerreach, NY
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:54:15 PM »
Ive been reading a lot about him in the posts lately can anyone summarize his abilities and rating.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:04:01 AM »

A second-team All-IS8 selection, Balamou has interest from St. John’s and Virginia Tech.

Yea, he's just a freaky athlete. Really long arms for a guy for his size, can jump through the roof. He likes to block shots and really thrives in transition. Has a bit of tunnel vision trying to get to the rim not much of a perimeter game. He's definitely a project guy for the high major level but for this team if you stashed him he might develop into something.

I've never spoken to him just seen him throughout the summer and at iS8 but he definitely caught my eye first time seeing him play because he just throws it down on dudes.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:25:17 AM »

Yea, he's just a freaky athlete. Really long arms for a guy for his size, can jump through the roof. He likes to block shots and really thrives in transition. Has a bit of tunnel vision trying to get to the rim not much of a perimeter game. He's definitely a project guy for the high major level but for this team if you stashed him he might develop into something.

I've never spoken to him just seen him throughout the summer and at iS8 but he definitely caught my eye first time seeing him play because he just throws it down on dudes.

Foreign?

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 07:34:46 AM »
From Guinea in West Africa, a French-speaking country.

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:54:58 AM »

I discussed this with somebody else.  Balamou reminds me of Alpha Bangura.  Not sure if he's a big help for us, but don't know how hard Obekpa is petitioning for him.  Bottom line is that I doubt he can get minutes at SJU because we have a lot of talented wings and he's not going to crack the lineup.  Id prefer just to add Obekpa.  I don't think Balamou would be on our radar if Obekpa wasn't.  IMO it would be in Felix's best interest to go mid-major.  He seems an excellent athlete but is a bit of a project as a wing that doesn't really have range right now.  Purely a slasher/dunker.  No offense to the kid.  He has some talent.  Hed just be at the back end of our roster, and I'd rather some lights-out shooters there instead.

kjd01067

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 09:16:38 AM »

I discussed this with somebody else.  Balamou reminds me of Alpha Bangura.  Not sure if he's a big help for us, but don't know how hard Obekpa is petitioning for him.  Bottom line is that I doubt he can get minutes at SJU because we have a lot of talented wings and he's not going to crack the lineup.  Id prefer just to add Obekpa.  I don't think Balamou would be on our radar if Obekpa wasn't.  IMO it would be in Felix's best interest to go mid-major.  He seems an excellent athlete but is a bit of a project as a wing that doesn't really have range right now.  Purely a slasher/dunker.  No offense to the kid.  He has some talent.  Hed just be at the back end of our roster, and I'd rather some lights-out shooters there instead.

I agree MCNPA.  I think we need some glue guys at the end of the bench. Balamou could be a good project, but I would rather have a lights out shooter who needs to work on other parts of his game then an athlete that needs to work on his shooting.  We have the athletes already what we need in glue guys is shooting.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »
If Balamou is an Alpha Bangura talent, and he has four years to develop, I'd love to see him in a SJU uniform.  During the crumbling Jarvis years, I always felt that Bangura was a talent that never materialized and found that sad.  I thought he could have been a success in the BE, not just a mid-major type.  Over the last decade or more -- or from the time he left SJU -- he has been pretty successful in pro leagues around the world.  He fell out with Jarvis just before things really went awry.

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »
I think I just prefer to add more naturally skilled shooters and scorers to the end of our bench instead of slasher types.  Gimme 2 of those shooters that St. Mary's kills us with as our 12/13th men. 

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 09:13:18 PM »
I will take a shooter that can stretch the D as well.  I know nothing about Balamou though.  He could be the next Reggie Miller for all I know.  But we have athletic slashers already we need some shooters now.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »
I will take a shooter that can stretch the D as well.  I know nothing about Balamou though.  He could be the next Reggie Miller for all I know.  But we have athletic slashers already we need some shooters now.

For whatever reason.  There don't seem to be many shooters as targets for us.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 11:14:04 PM »

Seems odd considering that Coach Lavin coached Jason Kapono

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
Per Rivals....

Connecticut, St. John's and Virginia Tech were also courtside to watch 2012 wing prospect Felix Balamou play. An explosive leaper, Balamou impressed with 16 points, eight rebounds and three assists.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1319048

sju89tr

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 09:19:49 AM »

Reinhardt is what the doctor ordered for us, we entered his recruitment too late 

Moose

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 09:24:12 AM »

Reinhardt is what the doctor ordered for us, we entered his recruitment too late 

We might have to wait until 13 (Sina) before we get a 'shooter'.

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 09:24:50 AM »
It just seems like we will always be a one demensional offensive team with Lav. All the recruits sem to do the same thing. 

kjd01067

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 09:28:03 AM »
It just seems like we will always be a one demensional offensive team with Lav. All the recruits sem to do the same thing. 

I don't think that is necessarily true.  Lavin recruited Harrison who was touted as one of the best shooters in the country last year and was not known for his slashing ability or athleticism per se like the other recruits.  Harrison has been a streaky shooter but I think next season he will be a much more consistent shooter when he learns how to get his shot off against longer defenders.

ris

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 09:48:47 AM »

I don't think that is necessarily true.  Lavin recruited Harrison who was touted as one of the best shooters in the country last year and was not known for his slashing ability or athleticism per se like the other recruits. 

Harrison shot .34 in three point as high school senior. To think that he was going to shot over .400 playing in the Big East as freshman was very optimist.

Moose

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 09:52:08 AM »

I don't think that is necessarily true.  Lavin recruited Harrison who was touted as one of the best shooters in the country last year and was not known for his slashing ability or athleticism per se like the other recruits. 

Harrison shot .34 in three point as high school senior. To think that he was going to shot over .400 playing in the Big East as freshman was very optimist.

Who else was on his team?

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 09:55:36 AM »

Who else was on his team?

Exactly!  The kid was being double and even triple-teamed at times last season in high school.  He had to shoot often, as he does now as a freshman (in college), in high school.