Felix Balamou - SG - Our Savior New American - Centerreach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 344 replies

ris

Re: Felix Balamou - SG - Our Savior New American - Centerreach, NY
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »

I don't think that is necessarily true.  Lavin recruited Harrison who was touted as one of the best shooters in the country last year and was not known for his slashing ability or athleticism per se like the other recruits. 

Harrison shot .34 in three point as high school senior. To think that he was going to shot over .400 playing in the Big East as freshman was very optimist.

Who else was on his team?

Exactly!  The kid was being double and even triple-teamed at times last season in high school.  He had to shoot often, as he does now as a freshman (in college), in high school.

But then, why Harrison shot 188/330 (.570) in two point baskets? This percentage is very good.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/RkkxSrs22ES7ozTiP0PRNw/basketball-winter-10-11/stats-dangelo-harrison.htm

Moose

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »

I don't think that is necessarily true.  Lavin recruited Harrison who was touted as one of the best shooters in the country last year and was not known for his slashing ability or athleticism per se like the other recruits. 

Harrison shot .34 in three point as high school senior. To think that he was going to shot over .400 playing in the Big East as freshman was very optimist.

Exactly!  The kid was being double and even triple-teamed at times last season in high school.  He had to shoot often, as he does now as a freshman (in college), in high school.

But then, why Harrison shot 188/330 (.570) in two point baskets? This percentage is very good.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/RkkxSrs22ES7ozTiP0PRNw/basketball-winter-10-11/stats-dangelo-harrison.htm

Superior athlete to his opponents so he could break them down?
Remember who broke the Slice news

ris

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »

No, according to the post of kjd01067: I don't think that is necessarily true.  Lavin recruited Harrison who was touted as one of the best shooters in the country last year and was not known for his slashing ability or athleticism per se like the other recruits. 

kjd01067

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »

No, according to the post of kjd01067: I don't think that is necessarily true.  Lavin recruited Harrison who was touted as one of the best shooters in the country last year and was not known for his slashing ability or athleticism per se like the other recruits. 

I was simply responding to a poster who claimed that Lavin didn't recruit shooters and only recruits freak athletes.  When looking at Harrison in HS I would not consider him a freak athlete like I would Harkless, Pointer, Garrett, etc. I would consider him more of a shooter/scorer.  My point being that I think to say Lavin doesn't recruit shooters and only recruits athletes is a bit of a stretch. 

Moose

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »

But its been reported that he played in a weaker conference therefore it would be easier for someone like him to dominate.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
Um this is a program that had Kev Fitzpatrick on a schollie.

Think you can take chances.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 11:15:33 AM »
Um this is a program that had Kev Fitzpatrick on a schollie.

Think you can take chances.

Choz you ever seen Felix play?

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 11:17:34 AM »

This completely false.  Harrison was a sensational slasher in high school and he proved it in the all-star games.  He has superior coordination...great shake/shiftiness, and was well-coached on how to draw contact and use weapons like the jump stop, pump fakes, and floaters.

He was known as a sick SCORER and not just a shooter.  As for his high school shooting % from deep...the kid had to score 70% of his teams points against double and triple teams.  34% is a terrific % for anyone throwing up 10 threes a game...let alone against double and triple coverage.  Harrison would be between 40 and 50% if he only took two open three's a game IMO. 

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 11:20:39 AM »
I will take a shooter that can stretch the D as well.  I know nothing about Balamou though.  He could be the next Reggie Miller for all I know.  But we have athletic slashers already we need some shooters now.

For whatever reason.  There don't seem to be many shooters as targets for us.

Seems odd considering that Coach Lavin coached Jason Kapono

Reinhardt is what the doctor ordered for us, we entered his recruitment too late 

The coaches were all over him the day he decommitted from USC. How much sooner could they have gotten involved?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

ras

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »
I wouldnt think twice taking Balamou if we also get Obejpa.

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »
Harrison being at least the second best overall player on the team right now is being asked to be a ballhandler, passer, rebounder, defender, shooter and scorer. As the team becomes deeper and more talented and he is not relied upon to do too much and as he gains experience I believe he will become a much better shooter and scorer than he already is. This kid is a good one.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 11:49:30 AM »
Harrison being at least the second best overall player on the team right now is being asked to be a ballhandler, passer, rebounder, defender, shooter and scorer. As the team becomes deeper and more talented and he is not relied upon to do too much and as he gains experience I believe he will become a much better shooter and scorer than he already is. This kid is a good one.

I, agree.

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
i agree also :police:

Moose

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 12:28:32 PM »
i agree also :police:

You posting reminds me of another player Felix reminds me of.  Wemi Efejuku.  Kid from Fresh Meadows ended up at Prov and had a pretty darn good career.  We never took a shot at him.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:30:24 PM by Moose »

Happy

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »
 Fwiw... I was told that this is not a package deal.. and they are both running seperate recruitments.  Now maybe they would like to play together in college.. but getting Opebka doesnt mean we have to take Balamou.

pmg911

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 02:11:28 PM »
When have you ever really heard that any package deal is actually a package deal..?

ras

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »
Fwiw... I was told that this is not a package deal.. and they are both running seperate recruitments.  Now maybe they would like to play together in college.. but getting Opebka doesnt mean we have to take Balamou.
What have you heard re our chances w Opebka?

sju89tr

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »
I will take a shooter that can stretch the D as well.  I know nothing about Balamou though.  He could be the next Reggie Miller for all I know.  But we have athletic slashers already we need some shooters now.

For whatever reason.  There don't seem to be many shooters as targets for us.

Seems odd considering that Coach Lavin coached Jason Kapono

Reinhardt is what the doctor ordered for us, we entered his recruitment too late 

The coaches were all over him the day he decommitted from USC. How much sooner could they have gotten involved?

Didn't mean it that way, he really wasn't a target before the USC commitment and basically just looked at the schools that were on his original list. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:47:50 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 08:20:34 AM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0116/hoophall-classic-2012-sunday-recap/

Felix Balamou (Our Savior New American 2012) – Balamou is a 6’3” wing from Guinea, West Africa with some serious athleticism. Every time I looked up he seemed to be floating above the rim and making another play for his team. He made 8-14 shots including a couple of dunks that were on par with the best of the day. Balamou’s overall ball skills and perimeter shot are still a work in progress but he is still very new to the game and by all accounts a great kid and a hard worker.

Felix Balamou (Our Savior New American 2012) – Balamou is considering all his options including possibly doing a post-graduate year and joining the 2013 class. Grades are not an issue and he will be able to remain in the 2012 class if he chooses to according to Coach Eric Jaklitsch but 2013 is a possibility. St. John’s, Providence and Virginia Tech are the first schools showing interest in the talented wing.

Moose

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0116/hoophall-classic-2012-sunday-recap/

Felix Balamou (Our Savior New American 2012) – Balamou is a 6’3” wing from Guinea, West Africa with some serious athleticism. Every time I looked up he seemed to be floating above the rim and making another play for his team. He made 8-14 shots including a couple of dunks that were on par with the best of the day. Balamou’s overall ball skills and perimeter shot are still a work in progress but he is still very new to the game and by all accounts a great kid and a hard worker.

Felix Balamou (Our Savior New American 2012) – Balamou is considering all his options including possibly doing a post-graduate year and joining the 2013 class. Grades are not an issue and he will be able to remain in the 2012 class if he chooses to according to Coach Eric Jaklitsch but 2013 is a possibility. St. John’s, Providence and Virginia Tech are the first schools showing interest in the talented wing.

I take this kid and redshirt him