Felix Balamou - SG - Our Savior New American - Centerreach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 344 replies

paultzman

Re: Felix Balamou - SG - Our Savior New American - Centerreach, NY
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »
Moose, I agree and sense that is the plan.

MCNPA

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0116/hoophall-classic-2012-sunday-recap/

Felix Balamou (Our Savior New American 2012) – Balamou is a 6’3” wing from Guinea, West Africa with some serious athleticism. Every time I looked up he seemed to be floating above the rim and making another play for his team. He made 8-14 shots including a couple of dunks that were on par with the best of the day. Balamou’s overall ball skills and perimeter shot are still a work in progress but he is still very new to the game and by all accounts a great kid and a hard worker.

Felix Balamou (Our Savior New American 2012) – Balamou is considering all his options including possibly doing a post-graduate year and joining the 2013 class. Grades are not an issue and he will be able to remain in the 2012 class if he chooses to according to Coach Eric Jaklitsch but 2013 is a possibility. St. John’s, Providence and Virginia Tech are the first schools showing interest in the talented wing.

I take this kid and redshirt him

Not a bad idea.  Walk-on is even better, but he seems like he has some skill.  Redshirt isn't bad idea.

Poison

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 11:29:40 AM »
There is absolutely no need for this kid at all if he can't shoot or run the point effectively.
We've been talking about taking on projects, we've got 3 of them right now.

Moose

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »
There is absolutely no need for this kid at all if he can't shoot or run the point effectively.

3?
Remember who broke the Slice news

DFF6

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »

3?

I'll take a stab and guess Poison is referring to Greene, Pointer and Amir.  I don't think they're "projects", just freshman. 

Moose

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »

3?

I'll take a stab and guess Poison is referring to Greene, Pointer and Amir.  I don't think they're "projects", just freshman. 

If he is, I wasn't aware top 100-150 players are 'projects'

MCNPA

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »

3?

You're on the money.  Pretty absurd calling them projects.  Pitt is 0-5 with upperclassmen on their roster.  We just have some young kids that need to hone some areas of their games.  Not projects in the least. 

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »

3?

You're on the money.  Pretty absurd calling them projects.  Pitt is 0-5 with upperclassmen on their roster.  We just have some young kids that need to hone some areas of their games.  Not projects in the least. 

I think it would be fair to say they have some raw potential however they are very talented freshman. I think an unfair standard has been made with highly touted freshman due to the success of guys like Carmelo, Rose, Wall but you have to remember these are the 1%
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

DFF6

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2012, 12:11:33 PM »

3?

I think it would be fair to say they have some raw potential however they are very talented freshman. I think an unfair standard has been made with highly touted freshman due to the success of guys like Carmelo, Rose, Wall but you have to remember these are the 1%

+1

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2012, 04:00:41 PM »
He seems like a high upside kind of kid who may explode between his freshman and sophomore years. Never seen him play, but based on what I've read he could develop like an Olidipo over at Indiana, a guy over looked probably due to his raw skill set, but has a certain level of potential that could see him get considerably better during his time in school. He can be a valuable guy off the bench and really be a key cog by his junior and senior years. Lav loves athletes, and he seems to fit the bill and Lav probably envisions him fitting in defensively.

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »
The value of a kid like Balamou will be felt immediately on practice when lazy passes and not boxing out or jumping for boards will result in lost possessions and, in turn, lots of sprints as punishment.

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
Visiting this weekend, but Zags had him as a 2013.

Not sure if there was a reclass or it was a typo.

wpc77

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »
he's visiting this weekend, as per @BSnowScout. 

NYCoffey

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 11:04:48 AM »
He will start his visit today

Alex Kline @TheRecruitScoop

Retweet
    Favorite
    · Open

2012 Our Savior New American (NY) wing Felix Balamou begins his official visit to St. John's on Friday.

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »

The academic thing doesn't sound promising.

Chris Obekpa is the marquee player on Our Savior New American (N.Y.), but college coaches have been surprised when they go to check out the Nigerian big man.

Obekpa isn’t the only high-major player on the team. Felix Balamou, a native of Guinea West Africa, has been impressive throughout the season.

“He’s one of the most underrecruited kids in the country,” OSNA assistant coach Eric Jaklitsch said. “He’s exploded his senior year.”

There is a chance Balamou will have to reclassify to the class of 2013 and do a post-grad year at a prep school due to academics. However, that will likely only increase his recruiting attention.

St. John’s, Providence and Virginia Tech are already among the schools showing interest.

“He’s 6-foot-3 with a 6-foot-6 wingspan and a nice set of athleticism,” Jaklitsch said. “He has a chance to be really special.”

By Jeff Borzello
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:10:11 AM by redmen4life »

Moose

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »

The academic thing doesn't sound promising.

Chris Obekpa is the marquee player on Our Savior New American (N.Y.), but college coaches have been surprised when they go to check out the Nigerian big man.

Obekpa isn’t the only high-major player on the team. Felix Balamou, a native of Guinea West Africa, has been impressive throughout the season.

“He’s one of the most underrecruited kids in the country,” OSNA assistant coach Eric Jaklitsch said. “He’s exploded his senior year.”

There is a chance Balamou will have to reclassify to the class of 2013 and do a post-grad year at a prep school due to academics. However, that will likely only increase his recruiting attention.

St. John’s, Providence and Virginia Tech are already among the schools showing interest.

“He’s 6-foot-3 with a 6-foot-6 wingspan and a nice set of athleticism,” Jaklitsch said. “He has a chance to be really special.”

By Jeff Borzello

Something in the water with academics at that school.

NYCoffey

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 11:37:33 AM »
If he reclassifies, do you think we would still be involved with him? I know we are on  a lot of highly recruited guys in 2013.

Moose

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2012, 11:47:06 AM »
If he reclassifies, do you think we would still be involved with him? I know we are on  a lot of highly recruited guys in 2013.

No I don't.
Remember Saomauro also visited.  I think its a way to drum up interest and stay on good side of staff there for Obekpa.

Tiznow

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
Um this is a program that had Kev Fitzpatrick on a schollie.

Think you can take chances.

Agree.  The kid loved his visit and is excited about playing here.  I hope he is offered - whether he suits up next year or a year later.

Why not take a chance with a late bloomer and it won't hurt with pulling in the big guy.

Poison

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 04:00:30 PM »
It almost worked with Tristan Smith.