Jamal Branch - PG - Texas A&M Transfer - ST. JOHN'S

• 270 replies
Jamal Branch - PG - Texas A&M Transfer - ST. JOHN'S
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:38:22 AM »
My MD board was discussing A&M's transfer, PG Jamal Branch.  We thought that Turgeon might see if he was interested in MD, but Branch's dad said his son wants to transfer into the Beast, possibly Marquette (Branch is from Arlington Texas and was the 9th rated PG entering A&M).

Anyone hear anything about the staff getting a feel for his interest with SJ's?

http://www.iamthe12thman.com/2011/12/29/2669682/jamal-branch-is-leaving-the-basketball-team
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:06:54 PM by kjd01067 »

Moose

Re: Jamal Branch - Texas A&M Transfer
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »
My MD board was discussing A&M's transfer, PG Jamal Branch.  We thought that Turgeon might see if he was interested in MD, but Branch's dad said his son wants to transfer into the Beast, possibly Marquette (Branch is from Arlington Texas and was the 9th rated PG entering A&M).

http://www.iamthe12thman.com/2011/12/29/2669682/jamal-branch-is-leaving-the-basketball-team

If he is from Texas and Marquette is involved I'm sure Buzz will close the deal.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:58:34 PM »

If he is from Texas and Marquette is involved I'm sure Buzz will close the deal.
I'm thinking that too, but i'd see the best other option to be playing in MSG w/ SJ's.  If he stays close to home, yep, Buzz prolly will get it done.

ras

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 07:37:41 PM »

I'm thinking that too, but i'd see the best other option to be playing in MSG w/ SJ's.  If he stays close to home, yep, Buzz prolly will get it done.
   Marquette is not exactly in Texas" backyard.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »

Buzz Williams is from Texas and has made a killing in recent years on TX players.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 09:08:27 PM »

Buzz Williams is from Texas and has made a killing in recent years on TX players.

We did beat Buzz for Harrison.   :)

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:45:06 PM »
Johnnies getting a visit from Texas A&M transfer Jamal Branch...leaning towards Johnnies over Arizona, Mland, Marquette, ucla #stjbb

Per Lenn Robbins

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 10:45:14 PM »
LennRobbins Johnnies getting a visit from Texas A&M transfer Jamal Branch...leaning towards Johnnies over Arizona, Mland, Marquette, ucla #stjbb

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »
Lenn Robbins
Johnnies getting a visit from Texas A&M transfer Jamal Branch...leaning towards Johnnies over Arizona, Mland, Marquette, ucla #stjbb

Adam Zagoria
Former Texas A&M freshman guard Jamal Branch will visit St. John's this wknd, source tells SNY.tv. Also mulling Maryland, Zona & Marquette

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 10:50:38 PM »
all we need is one guy to commit before others follow.  a commitment from anyone at this point is a huge positive for all other recruits.  we need one, just like Harkless.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
Branch would be awesome addition purely on a basketball talent standpoint. He's 6'3 and legit PG just what the Dr. ordered.

I don't know anything about him personally but will ask around. I know he went to famed Grace Prep in TX for highschool.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 10:57:31 PM »
Branch was logging significant playing time as the back-up point guard averaging 18 minutes and 4.2 points per game. He also had 28 assists to his credit.

But what will hurt the Aggies the most in the short term is his ability to guard man-on-man. He was the team's best pure defender and his departure will force bigger, slower guards to take on quicker point guards.

http://tamu.scout.com/2/1143514.html
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 10:58:14 PM »
when would he be eligible?

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 10:58:37 PM »
Second semester next year
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »
Wow would this be a pleasant surprise if he commits.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:08:02 PM by STJ11Redmen »

mkras99

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 11:08:49 PM »
Wouldn't he be 2012, not 2013?

DFF6

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
Branch was ranked 51st for 2011 class, 9th among PG's according to ESPN.  At 6'3 and a pure PG, he would be an awesome addition.  Go get him Coach Lav! (assuming he feels up to it).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/videos/_/id/54157/jamal-branch

Scouting report from ESPN Insider:

ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/07/2011

Strengths:
Branch is a true point guard with a good feel for the game. He has the ability to run the team and get others involved. He has good size and can pass over smaller guards with ease. He can make open mid range shots off the catch or dribble and can get to the rim on the break to drop off or score with his excellent length and body control. He can pass with either hand and defend both guard positions as well. Branch is also a decent defensive rebounder for a point guard.

Weaknesses:
At times Branch is not aggressive as a point guard should be. He will not attack or look to make a play when he has an opportunity too. When he is aggressive he is a legit high level guard. Branch must work to push the ball at a faster pace and put in the repetitions to become a better open three point shooter.

Bottom Line:
True point guard with excellent size. Can handle and pass in addition to run a team when he decides to take charge. Capable scorer inside the arc off the dribble but must work to improve shot and extend range. Can rebound and defend both guard positions very affectively. Motivation is the key to how good he will become.

Notes

Travel Team: Houston Swoosh...He is originally from Kansas City...Wingspan: 75.5"
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:19:10 PM by DFF6 »

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »
I wonder if he knows D'angelo from being in Texas and if playing in the backcourt with a fellow Texan is appealing to him.

DFF6

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »
I wonder if he knows D'angelo from being in Texas and if playing in the backcourt with a fellow Texan is appealing to him.

I hope it is appealing.  If we can land Branch, the downside is that he can't start practicing with the team until after the first semester 2012, right?  Also, reading the Texas A&M boards, all of the fans are saying things like "good riddance quitter!"  Sound familiar?

Dan

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 12:10:35 AM »
Maybe some good news?  Please?