Re: Jamal Branch - PG - Texas A&M Transfer - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2012, 09:27:38 PM »
#11 on black or blue or whatever color that is

Late Tip-In Lifts Douglass Past Grace Prep 68-67
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2012, 09:28:32 PM »
I know some guys hate answering these type of questions,but who can we compare his game with?

My very uneducated guess but ill say Vander Blue from Marquette. Who we will see on wednesday. Similar build, adept passer and lead guard. Not the best shooter

Reminds me of Jarrett Jack.  He's a decent shooter and hit for 33% from outside before he left.  He'll be able to work on all aspects for a year before he takes the court.  It wil help him immeasurably. 

desco80

« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2012, 09:30:26 PM »
I went on a Aggies board to discuss Branch, not surprisingly they don't seem too pleased.  http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2021072&forum_id=7&page=&opt=post

I've been reading their back and forth with you...   amusing to say the least.    Hard to believe that Aggie fans consider him to be a weak defender, that was universally his best attribute in all the scouting reports coming out of high school.   

The fact they like his "court vision" though, is great news for a team that needs a distributor in the worst way.  I'm just re-imagining that Cinci game this weekend when they were so overtly aggressive in the second half - with Branch we could've seen back door highlights to Moe, Amir, and Dom. 

I think the wings will benefit tremendously from being able to move without the ball and have a point who will deliver it to them in a position to score.   Amir and Dom are going to look much improved simply by having a true point on the court with them.

boo3

« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2012, 09:43:27 PM »
  Nice job keeping it classy over there on the Aggies board fellas.

ras

« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2012, 09:51:28 PM »
Another important piece of the puzzle towards SJBB prominence. The pickings were slim for 2012 PGs. Nice to have some good news for a change. I believe when all said and done we ll have a goog recruiting class.

Gumby

Re: Jamal Branch - Texas A&M Transfer
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:08 PM »
jamal just tweeted this

Jamal Branch @JamazingBranch
27m
Really love the coaching staff here at SJ! The teaching from the coaches is phenomenal, they def know the game well!

Great news!  I love JB's quote on the coaches.  Are you listening RG and JS?  Your roads to the NBA lead through Coach Lavin and his staff.

MCNPA

« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »
I went on a Aggies board to discuss Branch, not surprisingly they don't seem too pleased.  http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2021072&forum_id=7&page=&opt=post

I've been reading their back and forth with you...   amusing to say the least.    Hard to believe that Aggie fans consider him to be a weak defender, that was universally his best attribute in all the scouting reports coming out of high school.   

The fact they like his "court vision" though, is great news for a team that needs a distributor in the worst way.  I'm just re-imagining that Cinci game this weekend when they were so overtly aggressive in the second half - with Branch we could've seen back door highlights to Moe, Amir, and Dom. 

I think the wings will benefit tremendously from being able to move without the ball and have a point who will deliver it to them in a position to score.   Amir and Dom are going to look much improved simply by having a true point on the court with them.

SJU staff will re-teach him defense and in a different style.  Can't teach court vision though.  We need that trait desperately.  It is what made us so great under Erick Barkley, who's wasn't a particularly great athlete nor deadeye shooter.  He really knew the court.   Allows Phil to go back to his combo role which I think he is best at.

« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2012, 12:11:20 AM »
St. John’s scored a big pick-up on Monday when former Texas A&M point guard Jamal Branch accepted coach Steve Lavin’s scholarship offer and decided to transfer to join the Red Storm, the Daily News first learned.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/st-john-basketball-picks-transfer-jamal-branch-leaves-texas-a-m-red-storm-angelo-harrison-named-big-east-rookie-week-article-1.1003553#ixzz1j1sA4hAL
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2012, 01:04:02 AM »
St. John’s scored a big pick-up on Monday when former Texas A&M point guard Jamal Branch accepted coach Steve Lavin’s scholarship offer and decided to transfer to join the Red Storm, the Daily News first learned.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/st-john-basketball-picks-transfer-jamal-branch-leaves-texas-a-m-red-storm-angelo-harrison-named-big-east-rookie-week-article-1.1003553#ixzz1j1sA4hAL

JJ, why don't you put in last year's rankings for Branch on the recruit page?

« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2012, 01:08:09 AM »
Purely from the videos I love the way he sees the court and finds the open man. Something we are sorely lacking.

« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2012, 08:10:02 AM »

JJ, why don't you put in last year's rankings for Branch on the recruit page?

Those were 2011 class rankings

nrb155

« Reply #173 on: January 10, 2012, 09:42:12 AM »
this has probably been answered before, but refresh my memory.... this kid isn't eligible to play until next spring, however when is he considered part of the team... i.e. able to practice and attend team functions?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:42:44 AM by nrb155 »

sju89tr

« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »
this has probably been answered before, but refresh my memory.... this kid isn't eligible to play until next spring, however when is he considered part of the team... i.e. able to practice and attend team functions?

He will be able to do everything except play until next season, second semester

MCNPA

« Reply #175 on: January 10, 2012, 09:47:53 AM »

In a week or two when semester begins, he can practice etc. 

« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
And he will be a sophomore nextyear so essentially he will have 2.5 years of eligibility

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
And he will be a sophomore nextyear so essentially he will have 2.5 years of eligibility
3.5. He's only played one semester.

sju89tr

« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
3.5. He's only played one semester.

He has to sit out a year but won't lose his year of eligibility.

MCNPA

« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2012, 10:22:38 AM »

Actually, he'll still be a freshman eligibility-wise next year, even though he played a semester for A&M and practiced with SJU for a year.  It makes it pretty smart for some of these kids to transfer after only 1 semester if they're sure they don't like the school they are at.

To emphasize what a good pickup Branch is for SJU, the only higher ranked PG to sign with a Big East school than Branch last year was Ryan Boatright.  Branch is a bigger and much more pure PG than Boatright.. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:25:30 AM by MCNPA »