Jamal Branch - PG - Texas A&M Transfer - ST. JOHN'S

• 270 replies
Re: Jamal Branch - PG - Texas A&M Transfer - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
If he enrolls right now- not that it makes a big diff, why cant he practice
now (like Amir), rather than waiting till 1st day of 2nd semester start ?
Molloy '71

« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »
So is Branch the backup PG for the next 3 years or does Greene become a super sub?

Moose

« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
So is Branch the backup PG for the next 3 years or does Greene become a super sub?

I think Greene spells both Branch and Dee at the guard spots.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »

Or all three start.
Y'all never know.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »
And he will be a sophomore nextyear so essentially he will have 2.5 years of eligibility
3.5. He's only played one semester.

He will be a soph and loses the rest of this entire year.  He'll have three years of eligibility, but won't be allowed to participate until the fall semester ends in December....so essentially he'll have 2.5 seasons.

« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2012, 12:36:25 PM »
And he will be a sophomore nextyear so essentially he will have 2.5 years of eligibility

He will be a soph and loses the rest of this entire year.  He'll have three years of eligibility, but won't be allowed to participate until the fall semester ends in December....so essentially he'll have 2.5 seasons.

That is correct.  Remember he played this year so there is no redshirt this year.  This year counts.  By transfer rule he has to do a full year of residence or the equivalent (2 semesters) at his new school before he plays.

So he gets 3 years of remaining eligiblity it is just that the first year of that 3 years of eligiblity is delayed because it is part of his required sit year.  So at the end of the day assuming he does not redshirt he will have played 4 years in 4 years except he will have missed games in his first year and 2nd year because of his mid-year transfer.

MCNPA

« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2012, 12:42:20 PM »

Or all three start.
Y'all never know.

True, but I see Greene working in big minutes at both guard spots as part of a 3-guard rotation because we have forwards that need time.  Hopefully a few bigs come on board.  Don't think any of Harrison, Greene and Branch would be requiured to start at the SF spot, when we have Harkless, Pointer and Garrett on board and more forwards to hopefully come. 

I don't think it is bad for Greene at all.  I actually think he's a true combo-guard and will be better suited switching at times to go back to his slashing and scoring role.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:42:45 PM by MCNPA »

sju89tr

« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »

Or all three start.
Y'all never know.

True, but I see Greene working in big minutes at both guard spots as part of a 3-guard rotation because we have forwards that need time.  Hopefully a few bigs come on board.  Don't think any of Harrison, Greene and Branch would be requiured to start at the SF spot, when we have Harkless, Pointer and Garrett on board and more forwards to hopefully come. 

I don't think it is bad for Greene at all.  I actually think he's a true combo-guard and will be better suited switching at times to go back to his slashing and scoring role.

He was recruited for that role and don't see it being a problem for him if he doesn't start, all 3 will be interchangeable with either 2 or 3 being on the floor at any time.

« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »

That is correct.  Remember he played this year so there is no redshirt this year.  This year counts.  By transfer rule he has to do a full year of residence or the equivalent (2 semesters) at his new school before he plays.

So he gets 3 years of remaining eligiblity it is just that the first year of that 3 years of eligiblity is delayed because it is part of his required sit year.  So at the end of the day assuming he does not redshirt he will have played 4 years in 4 years except he will have missed games in his first year and 2nd year because of his mid-year transfer.

Are you guys positive about that? Not doubting you two but why would he lose a year while other transfers do not?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2012, 01:20:25 PM »
 I'll preface by saying i know nothing of Branch or his game other than what i've read here.  Nuri was a better basketball player i think, definitely a better scorer.  He wasn't a good fit here, which was proven by the staffs' and his decision to part ways after 9 games.  Comparing each players stats is useless in this case.  Branch seems to be a true PG, who sets up his teammates and plays exceptional D.

This team, with D. Harrison and Harkless as the main guys, have scoring punch.  What we lack is someone who has the ability to get the ball to these guys on spots on the floor where they can flourish.  This will also be a tremendous help to GG and the rest of the gang. 

Just because Nuri could beat Branch in a one on one, doesn't mean he's the best fit for this particular team. Hopefully Branch is.  If he can score 10ppg, great.

« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2012, 01:43:28 PM »

Thank you to both of you.  I thought I was losing my mind with folks on both boards thinking he would be a frosh next year.   So many claimed it I almost started to believe it.

« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »

Are you guys positive about that? Not doubting you two but why would he lose a year while other transfers do not?

Because you get 5 seasons to play in 4 and that's all or part of 4 unless there's special circumstances usually associated with injury.  He's played in 11 games in 11/12, he'll play in 20ish games in 12/13 and in full seasons 13/14 and 14/15, that's all or part of 4 seasons.  If he had played a full season at A&M and then transferred in the summer obviously his sit out year would be all of next season but he'd have all or part of three more seasons of eligibility.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:47:41 PM by yankcranker »

« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2012, 01:57:13 PM »
I was sniffing the wind right on this one.  ESPN reporting that Branch will verbal to St. John's shortly and enroll for sprig classes - WOW! That is faaaaast. Zoom! :o

Link?

It's in insider and I know how you feel about posting copyrighted pay materail but they're simply quoting Lenn Robbins who says he's close to signing.  I assume Lenn's article is already somewhere in this thread but just in case.  http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/st_john_closing_in_on_former_texas_r04lwjCX9uKeMGTVwfIEkJ

So basically it's worthless.  Thanks.
You're welcome - it was way off.  I felt Jamal would come to St. J's because it's a better fit.  SJ's has our Harrison, and the Terps gonna have their Harrisons commit for 2013!  These staffs will not be stopped. Once Coach is adequately rested and healthy, it's back on 100%.  Get Rico on board and one more big, and this squad will give up the pea shooter down low.  Time to start banging harder next season.

Not sure what I'm thanking you for or why you're patting yourself on the back, but I was saying that the ESPN insider report was basically worthless as it was just a rehash of Robbins' earlier tweet/article. Wasn't saying that the news, which was already reported by Robbins, was worthless. In any event, this is awesome news.
just patted myself on the back for having no insider knowledge on Branch at all (like obviously some did but couldn't say - they prolly saw my post and smiled), but I deduced that SJ's might be a good fit for a guy wanting to come to the Beast.  I did think along with moose that Buzz might connect.  I should have have asked the "mystery recruit" question too.  But yes, the ESPN stuff was tied to Robbins now that I see it that way.

And yes, it's awesome news.  One of the two biggest needs will be filled.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:58:09 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2012, 01:58:00 PM »
ok got it. Thanks
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2012, 02:49:15 PM »
I'll preface by saying i know nothing of Branch or his game other than what i've read here.  Nuri was a better basketball player i think, definitely a better scorer.  He wasn't a good fit here, which was proven by the staffs' and his decision to part ways after 9 games.  Comparing each players stats is useless in this case.  Branch seems to be a true PG, who sets up his teammates and plays exceptional D.

This team, with D. Harrison and Harkless as the main guys, have scoring punch.  What we lack is someone who has the ability to get the ball to these guys on spots on the floor where they can flourish.  This will also be a tremendous help to GG and the rest of the gang. 

Just because Nuri could beat Branch in a one on one, doesn't mean he's the best fit for this particular team. Hopefully Branch is.  If he can score 10ppg, great.

I would agree, they have different games it appears. 

And honestly right now what we needed is a point guard who can enable our guys to make plays.  I think D'angelo and Moe will be made better by having a true point, and certainly D'angelo can probably do more for his shooting percentage when he's playing off the ball and can come off screens etc.   But really, I think Branch will help Amir and Dom the most.  They are phenomenal athletes, but honestly they aren't great at creating their own shot.   Moe and D;angelo will find a way to get theres, but Branch, hopefully, will do wonders for Amir and Dom as they can now cut around the court and have a pg who can get them the ball on the move. 

In the overall picture I don't think it matters much who is the "better player".   Branch is more the answer we need right now.   But I do think Nuri is probably better than we are giving him credit for right now since we still have a bitter taste in our mouths from his departure. 

« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2012, 02:56:33 PM »
Eligibility does not go by semesters...its based on seasons.  Even though he only played the first semester he used a full year of eligibility.  Therefore he will be a sophomore NEXT year. 

I felt like yank cranker for a minute.  Thanks to fordham and marillac for chiming in.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2012, 03:02:08 PM »
All about chemistry.  Lindsey was not a piece of the puzzle we needed for development of the team.  Branch is such a fantatic pickup.  A true PG with floor vision.  Just as Branch saw a place for himself in terms of our team's needs, translating into minutes for him to develop, the same will be true for a much needed big man who can develop with all this talent around him.  With PG Branch onboard we've just gotten even more attractive to a young big out there.

DFF6

« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »
At the risk of beating a dead horse, when you look at ESPNU's rankings of the top PG's from 2011 and 2012, it's clear that Branch's 96 grade in 2011, which was good for only the 9th highest ranking PG in that deep PG class, would be ranked somewhere between 3 and 5 of the PG's if he was a part of the 2012 class.  The next available PG from 2012's class is Ray Lee, ranked 17th among PG's with a rating of 91, who has a score first mentality according to his scouting report.   Bottom line, we're sooo lucky to have landed Branch!

« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »
i wonder what the connection with Earl Watson is?

Jamal Branch @JamazingBranch
1h
Goodluck to my big bro @Earl_Watson tonight as they take on Cleveland Cavs!

Poison

« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2012, 05:32:33 PM »
Earl Watson is his brother?