Jamal Branch - PG - Texas A&M Transfer - ST. JOHN'S

• 270 replies
Re: Jamal Branch - Texas A&M Transfer
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »
what's his twitter name?

Jamal Branch @JamazingBranch
9h
Had a GREAT day in NY! Now time to get some rest! Another long day ahead tomorrow!

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2012, 10:23:31 AM »
thanks appreciate it.

hopefully this works out for us.

Marillac

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2012, 10:29:40 AM »
Imagine how solid of a defensive team we'd be 1-4 with Branch...could potentially go with Branch, Greene, Pointer, Garret and a big for some full court pressure. 

Then, who would score?

The defense would be the offense.  Run a five of Branch-Greene-Pointer-Garret-Harkless and defend every inch of the floor.  No true center in that group, but I promise you that a soph Harkless would outproduce any opposing center in the country in a TRUE uptempo game and 6'6, 6'6, and 6'8.5 is not a small front court...especially next to a pair of 6'3 guards.  We also have our boy Harrison to fill it up.  That kid can flatout score it and he defends. 

MCNPA

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2012, 10:35:57 AM »
Imagine how solid of a defensive team we'd be 1-4 with Branch...could potentially go with Branch, Greene, Pointer, Garret and a big for some full court pressure. 

Then, who would score?

The defense would be the offense.  Run a five of Branch-Greene-Pointer-Garret-Harkless and defend every inch of the floor.  No true center in that group, but I promise you that a soph Harkless would outproduce any opposing center in the country in a TRUE uptempo game and 6'6, 6'6, and 6'8.5 is not a small front court...especially next to a pair of 6'3 guards.  We also have our boy Harrison to fill it up.  That kid can flatout score it and he defends.

We'll have at least two more big guys entering next season.

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »

Then, who would score?

We'll have at least two more big guys entering next season.

I have no question we will. However, I think that is just icing on the cake.  These guys are a point guard away from being very, very good.  I'd still like to add a shooter and some big bodies as well.  Like I said before you can win playing small and fast, but you need the bodies.  Eight is the absolute minimum. 

ris

« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »

I didn´t think that Harkless was the big.

The question is that Harrison and Harkless are the two main scorers and are very good. But after these two players I don´t see a third scorer (10-12 ppg).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:00:19 AM by ris »

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2012, 11:02:41 AM »

The question is that Harrison and Harkless are the two main scorers and are very good. But after these two players I don´t see a third scorer (10-12 ppg).

I expect all of our guys to get better as shooters.  There is no reason every single kid on our team can't be shooting near 35% from three next season (including GG, but I'd rather he stay near the basket).  Mo is a much better outside shooter than he has shown.  Green will also be a fantastic slasher next season.  I expect him to really improve between his fresh and soph campaigns. 

sju89tr

« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »

I would expect Pointer to be that guy next year off this current roster unless we get Jakarr back

MCNPA

« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »

I would expect Pointer to be that guy next year off this current roster unless we get Jakarr back

Gathers? Branch? Unknown/TBA?

sju89tr

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »

I thought about Gathers but I truly think Sampson is a more polished offensive player at this time based on the videos. I can defintely see Sampson avg 12 points as a freshman and Gathers, Branch, and Pointer at about 8

MCNPA

« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »

I thought about Gathers but I truly think Sampson is a more polished offensive player at this time based on the videos. I can defintely see Sampson avg 12 points as a freshman and Gathers, Branch, and Pointer at about 8

I love Sampson and think he's a great get for sju.  Gathers would give lots of defenders fits though.  I'd love the, both.

« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2012, 12:43:17 PM »
The kid commited to Turgeron and is visiting Maryland last next week.  Seems like this is far from over.

Not sure about that

They have a solid PG right now who is only a Soph in Stoglin.

They are in the final mix for Sam Cassell Jr for 2012.

They are serious players for the Harrison twins.

Our backcourt is basically bare. It appears to me that it is more of a courtesy visit but who knows.   

Not totally the case.

Stoglin is really a 2.  He played some point, but Turgeon moved him to the 2 and had Faust (who's a natural 3 - that's how tough it was with Stoglin at the point - with limited players available (sound familiar? ;)  Turgeon had limited options) play the point a while until MVPe' (Pe'Shown Howard - a natural PG) came back from his foot injury.  Terps still need an above average PG who can also score some.

Cassell Jr is a back up plan.  He's a combo, more of a 2.  PG solution not to be found with Skull Jr.

Harrison Twins - the real wild card in this.  The Harrisons will not commit until spring time earliest, so Branch's sense of urgency plays into St. John's hand as I wrote earlier.  There is absolutely nothing on the twins leaning towards UK or MD's way.  The Bino connection may be the deciding straw, or UK winning it all and Cal going to coach the Knicks may do it - my speculation and dream - only time I root for Cal to win is if that would happen.  Additionally, MD is now more limited on schollies if they get 1 or 2 more needed big men to sign for '12 or '13.  (Ironically SJ's now has more wiggle room there).

In the end, if I'm Branch and I really want Beast play, St. John's is my choice.  If Branch knows he's the guy and Turge smells the Harrisons going UK, he might punt on the Harrisons and go with Branch.  I'd go with the sure bet and St. John's because it's possible the Harrisons still go to MD and Branch gets log jammed a bit.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:49:04 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »
Stoglin is really a shooting guard, Turgeon has moved him off the ball. Our only point guard right now is Pe'Shon Howard and while hes solid we desperately need someone else.   

Marillac

« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2012, 12:56:49 PM »
Stoglin is really a shooting guard, Turgeon has moved him off the ball. Our only point guard right now is Pe'Shon Howard and while hes solid we desperately need someone else.   

Agree that Stoglin is more of a SG, but he's a combo that clogs up minutes.  I also really like Faust...p/t will be tough to come by.  Branch is not going to supplant a junior with two full years of experience runing the show at Maryland.  Without even looking at the Harrisons or any other recruits, there is a logjam at the guard spots for Maryland, and Branch just left a similar situation to play immediately. 

He'll pop for the Johnnies this week. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:57:51 PM by Marillac »

sju89tr

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »

Whats your current status with Sam Cassell Jr and the Harrison twins?

« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2012, 01:02:04 PM »
Theres a bunch of names out there besides Cassell Jr for next year at guard. We've been targeting multiple shooters for next year because outside of Stoglin we are a poor perimeter shooting team. Who knows with the Harrison twins. 

We are going to add another guard for next year. The thinking was that it would be a shooter. But now with a guy like Branch available I dont know if the staff would prefer him or shooting guards that we are recruiting. I think Branch is a more pressing need. Well find out soon obviously.

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2012, 01:18:24 PM »

the two games I saw maryland play this year stoglin looked like a bit of a chucker to me. Maybe he has to be with this years squad idk. Whats the MD fan bases opinion on him?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »
Stoglins simply one of the best scorers in the nation. He takes a bunch of ill advised shots but that has more to do with him being the only consistent offensive player on the team.  Hes averaging 21.5 a game shooting 43% from the floor and from 3 pt range. His shooting percentages have skyrocketed since moving off the ball and getting better 3 point looks.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:25:52 PM by dmjt4160 »

« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »

the two games I saw maryland play this year stoglin looked like a bit of a chucker to me. Maybe he has to be with this years squad idk. Whats the MD fan bases opinion on him?

Stoglin is a punk, not that good either. In Puerto Rico,he was in Machado's ear talkin smack. The poor Terp got pwned

MCNPA

« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
Jeff Goodman tweeted that his gut felling was that SJU would land Branch.  Take it for what it's worth.