Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S

• 864 replies
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 02:37:08 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »
Per Zags twitter....

Sources say #stjbb coach Steve Lavin will watch Lincoln and 2014 Isaiah Whitehead today and 6-9 JUCO F Orlando Sanchez of Monroe tonight

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamZagoria/status/159377191115833344

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »
Going to see this kid play tonight.  People I have spoken to about him really love his game.  Hear there are a few questions about non-academic-related eligibility. I'll give a report on here tonight about the game.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Moose

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:47:54 PM »
Going to see this kid play tonight.  People I have spoken to about him really love his game.  Hear there are a few questions about non-academic-related eligibility. I'll give a report on here tonight about the game.

Did he play for some pro team or something?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 04:11:04 PM »

Did he play for some pro team or something?
Moose - you hear anything else about MD's involvement? All's quiet down here after Zags' 12/27 piece.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
Just got back from seeing him. Overall I'm a fan.  He's about 6'8", and a fairly refined perimeter forward who can really REALLY pass the ball.  He's got great hands and he can knock down that midrange jumpshot.  His body is pretty good and I think he's more refined than guys like Sampson or Obekpa (he is older obviously).  However there were times tonight that he really didnt appear to be playing that hard in terms of running with his full motor.  I also heard in terms of SJU he was wondering how he would fit in with Harkless in the front court (with Moe also being a perimeter forward).  I don't see this as a problem, however.  Sanchez is EXTREMELY unselfish and he would be a great passer out of the high post.  His points also come within the flow of the offense and the kid doesn't seem eager to "get his".  Overall I would be a fan of adding him for next year if he would be eligible.  He's not the pure rebounder like Gathers or Obekpa but he's more refined and can do different things than those guys can.  I'm gonna try to see Sanchez once or twice more this year because he plays so close to where I live.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Moose

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 10:04:49 PM »
Just got back from seeing him. Overall I'm a fan.  He's about 6'8", and a fairly refined perimeter forward who can really REALLY pass the ball.  He's got great hands and he can knock down that midrange jumpshot.  His body is pretty good and I think he's more refined than guys like Sampson or Obekpa (he is older obviously).  However there were times tonight that he really didnt appear to be playing that hard in terms of running with his full motor.  I also heard in terms of SJU he was wondering how he would fit in with Harkless in the front court (with Moe also being a perimeter forward).  I don't see this as a problem, however.  Sanchez is EXTREMELY unselfish and he would be a great passer out of the high post.  His points also come within the flow of the offense and the kid doesn't seem eager to "get his".  Overall I would be a fan of adding him for next year if he would be eligible.  He's not the pure rebounder like Gathers or Obekpa but he's more refined and can do different things than those guys can.  I'm gonna try to see Sanchez once or twice more this year because he plays so close to where I live.

So whats the story with the eligibilty you mentioned being non academic?

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »
I've heard there's some type of issue with him possibly playing in a pro league overseas before he came to the US (sorta like the Kanter case)

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
Is he Latino also?

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 10:18:40 PM »
Is he Latino also?

He's from the Dominican Republic.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »
Is he Latino also?

Did you think he was Irish :)

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »
Is he Latino also?

Did you think he was Irish :)

No but maybe Moe can help recruit him too? ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:25:46 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »

Appreciate the report, TRab.   Sounds like Sanchez is worth adding to this young core. 

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 11:57:36 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/30/orlando-sanchez-remains-wide-open/

Sanchez has interest or offers from St. John’s, Providence, Mississippi State, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Oregon, FIU, Baylor, UConn, Iowa State, Texas A&M and Rhode Island.

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 12:33:02 PM »
Not on the list but Kentucky is a major player for Sanchez. He played for Calipari in the DR and if Kentucky needs/wants him thats a done deal. Also I wouldn't discount, Baldi is going to love this, Iona as a player for his services.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Not on the list but Kentucky is a major player for Sanchez. He played for Calipari in the DR and if Kentucky needs/wants him thats a done deal. Also I wouldn't discount, Baldi is going to love this, Iona as a player for his services.

I think Kentucky is lurking, when it comes to Sanchez, in case they don't land the other kids they are targeting.  IMO, Iona is probably a longshot candidate. 

DFF6

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 12:52:20 PM »

I think Kentucky is lurking, when it comes to Sanchez, in case they don't land the other kids they are targeting.  IMO, Iona is probably a longshot candidate.

If Iona beats us out for Sanchez, Baldi will need to create his own website to contain all of his crowing.  ;)

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
He got an offer from Georgetown yesterday according to Zags.

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 02:04:31 AM »

If Iona beats us out for Sanchez, Baldi will need to create his own website to contain all of his crowing.  ;)

This would be the final nail in the coffin. What would be worse, losing him to Iona or Georgetown?

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »
I dont post much, but i read the posts from jj and rmdcom. everyday, But i would rather lose out to georgetown any day of the week! If we lose out to Iona on this kid i would put on a g-string on with high heels as well, and parade up and down times square with my hairy legs exposed all day long. :D