Winston Shepard - SF - Findlay Prep - Sugar Land, TX - SAN DIEGO ST.

• 101 replies
Heard some rumblings myself but per Winston himself on scout.com sounds like he is ready to add SJU to his list of possible suitors.  Probably friendly with Amir and everyone knows Lavin is close to the Findlay Prep program.

Per scout.com:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1149805.html

For a while now Shepard has had a final five of New Mexico, Oklahoma State, San Diego State, UNLV, and UTEP, but two new schools look to be entering the picture.

“I do have five finalists, but St. John’s and Oregon have been showing a lot of interest so I am probably going to add them as well,” said Shepard.

For the Red Storm or the Ducks to get on the level of the others who have been recruiting him for far longer, it is going to take a major effort.

“It’s just going to take them showing that they really want me and them being honest with me,” Shepard explained. “I just have to see if I fit in with the staff, and if I do then I will consider those schools.”

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:59:42 PM by jumpinjohnny »

Re: Winston Shepard-SF-Findlay Prep Henderson, NV
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »

NYCoffey

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »
Heres a recent video. Hes around the :28 mark

#1 Findlay Prep Game Mix

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:32:45 PM »

Moose

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
Talk about relationships I thought I read that Shepard is originally from Houston area.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »
Talk about relationships I thought I read that Shepard is originally from Houston area.

He is from Texas

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:14:12 PM »
Seems to me like another long lanky guy like Mo and Jakaar. Would be great to see those three on the court at the same time, would be very hard to defend.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »
Here is what Neal Nieves said about Shepard's defense (Nieves gets a chance to see lots of west coast kids in action)....

St Johns tossed its hat into the Winston Shepard sweepstakes smart move. Kid is probably a top 3 defender in the country.

http://twitter.com/#!/NealNieves/status/159687871312314369

Also passes the ball well and plays his part so well. Will be a solid team player wherever he goes.

http://twitter.com/#!/NealNieves/status/159688057405186049

Raphielle Johnson, per NBE Basketball, replied....

I'd argue Top 3 defender regardless of class.

http://twitter.com/#!/raphiellej/status/159688351140687872

Marillac

Re: Winston Shepard - SF - Findlay Prep - Sugar Land, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 03:04:59 PM »

Too much of a coincidence that he pops up a week after Branch lands on campus.  He's also go the ties with Amir Garrett from Findley...so gotta like our chances with two top 50 Houston kid like Harrison and Branch. 

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »
Watching his videos you can tell he can pass the ball. Most of his highlights are assists.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 06:47:11 PM »
Watching his videos you can tell he can pass the ball. Most of his highlights are assists.

The kid is a nice overall player.  Not a project.  Fantastic rebounder, passer and can play both inside and out.  He'd be a big asset from day 1.  Really long, plays hard and has a nose for the basket.  Reminds me a bit of Georgetown's Jerome Williams.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 07:16:21 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 07:02:59 PM »

Too much of a coincidence that he pops up a week after Branch lands on campus.  He's also go the ties with Amir Garrett from Findley...so gotta like our chances with two top 50 Houston kid like Harrison and Branch. 

Marillac, can you give us your 30 second clip expert critique on Winston?

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:56:11 PM »
This offer is a push to Jakarr Sampson to commit before April. The message is we have another player with your skill set to whom we are offering a scholarship. The first to bite is in while the other we will wait and see after we fill a post position, a guard, a power forward and possibly a JC transfer. It is a smart move and would be a great get of a player that is blowing up right now. The scouting reports say he can guard all five positions and at 6'9 handles and passes the ball better than anyone we now have on the team. I am exited about this offer and hope that the Amir/Harrison/Branch connection pays off.

lihoop

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:24 PM »
I like Winston's court vision - kid can play.  We need Winston.  Reminds me of Pelle, but able to pass the ball better.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 10:04:28 PM »
He looks like a great player. Very smooth.

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:09:14 PM »
This offer is a push to Jakarr Sampson to commit before April. The message is we have another player with your skill set to whom we are offering a scholarship. The first to bite is in while the other we will wait and see after we fill a post position, a guard, a power forward and possibly a JC transfer. It is a smart move and would be a great get of a player that is blowing up right now. The scouting reports say he can guard all five positions and at 6'9 handles and passes the ball better than anyone we now have on the team. I am exited about this offer and hope that the Amir/Harrison/Branch connection pays off.

Lets hope the move works. We have 5 legit targets that we are after right now (jakarr, gathers, opekba, sanchez, and shepard) I hope we are able to land 3 of them, which along with branch, would give us a great team moving forward regardless of which three it is. I just hope we land at least one out of gathers/sampson
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 12:47:43 AM »

I've seen a bit of Shepard in Findlay games.  He might be a smidge below the athlete that Jakarr is, but he's got a much more rounded and focused game.  Jakarr has a ton of potential.  Shepard is a craftier player at this point, better passer and defender.  Shepard also has a nice jumpshot and midrange game.  He's a recruit on par with Jakarr for us and I sensed too that it was a move to push one of our current targets(namely Jakarr).  I'd take a commit from whomever picks first.  Time for Jakarr to commit to this program if he really wants to be here. 

DFF6

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »
We should start a pool to guess who among jakarr, gathers, opekba, sanchez, and shepard will commit first. For some reason, I'm feeling Gathers.  No logic involved, just gut.

SJUFAN

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »
This offer is a push to Jakarr Sampson to commit before April.

I believe it's more indicative of the recruiting style of the staff. We are not going to wait until Jakarr makes up his mind, we are going to move forward.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 02:08:37 PM »
The scouting reports say he can guard all five positions and at 6'9 handles and passes the ball better than anyone we now have on the team.

Average handle at best for a SF...definitely above average for a PF.   His vision seems to be pretty incredible, although a lot of his passes seem to be flashy (highlight video?).  Seems like a kid you would only want taking 3-4 dribbles either after grabbing a board and going or attacking the basket.  I like the use of the body down low...in rhythm after the boards...tough to teach that.  Great length...surely not the athlete Sampson is, but who is?

Prototypical Lavin recruit right here.