Winston Shepard - SF - Findlay Prep - Sugar Land, TX - SAN DIEGO ST.

• 101 replies

boo3

Re: Winston Shepard - SF - Findlay Prep - Sugar Land, TX
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 08:37:12 PM »
I don't care what he says. He's not 6'9 he's 6'7 not an inch taller. He's not a super athlete vertically but he moves so well laterally and is long which is what makes him such a good defender. Really doesn't bring much around the perimeter offensively in terms of shooting but sees the floor well. For comparison sake he's like more grounded Amir Garrett.

He's being ranked awfully high for someone without an offensive repertoire or elite athleticism.... or size from what Dave says.

He has a good, floor game.  Somewhat of a jack of all trades-type.

DJ Kennedy?

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 09:25:17 PM »
I don't care what he says. He's not 6'9 he's 6'7 not an inch taller. He's not a super athlete vertically but he moves so well laterally and is long which is what makes him such a good defender. Really doesn't bring much around the perimeter offensively in terms of shooting but sees the floor well. For comparison sake he's like more grounded Amir Garrett.

He's being ranked awfully high for someone without an offensive repertoire or elite athleticism.... or size from what Dave says.

Perhaps you may have misunderstood. I didn't say he wasn't an elite athlete. He's just not a leaper. Sometimes people associate athleticism exclusively with that. Like I said he moves so well laterally which is certainly very athletic.

As for being highly ranked without being strong player offensively on the perimeter isn't uncommon. There is plenty more faucets of the game than shooting the ball beyond the arc.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2012, 09:30:10 PM »

Perhaps you may have misunderstood. I didn't say he wasn't an elite athlete. He's just not a leaper. Sometimes people associate athleticism exclusively with that. Like I said he moves so well laterally which is certainly very athletic.

As for being highly ranked without being strong player offensively on the perimeter isn't uncommon. There is plenty more faucets of the game than shooting the ball beyond the arc.

that's correct dave.  our own sir dom was our most highly ranked recruit (according to several sources).  yet he suffers from the least polished offensive game of all the players.

sju89tr

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »

Kind of reminds me of a taller Reggie Jessie. I would imagine that once he bulks up a bit in college, he can play the 4 although a bit undersized. He jumps ok but has great court vision,  has a knack to get an open ball, is a tenacious defender, and a gifted passer. 

desco80

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »

Gotcha.  When you said he was grounded I thought that meant less athletic.  I'm following you now though.

If he plays above average D and sees the floor well that's enough for me. 

NYCoffey

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »
This article is from last week regarding the Findlay Prep Bishop Gorman game. Sounds like he locked down the #1 recruit in the country pretty good. His quotes remind me of Sir Doms when we were recruiting him. He takes pride in his defense. If we land him along with some of the other bigs we are working on we would be a very good defensive team.

"I played good defense because I took it personal," Shepard said after the game, which Findlay won 73-61. "Our coach pointed out some stuff and showed us what the media were saying and what people were trying to say -- [Muhammad's] unstoppable and this and that. I just wasn't buying into that, to be honest with you guys, and so I took I personal and tried to do the best job I could do."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_glockner/01/26/findlay.bishop.gorman/index.html#ixzz1lA3lg21V

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_glockner/01/26/findlay.bishop.gorman/index.html

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »

Kind of reminds me of a taller Reggie Jessie. I would imagine that once he bulks up a bit in college, he can play the 4 although a bit undersized. He jumps ok but has great court vision,  has a knack to get an open ball, is a tenacious defender, and a gifted passer. 

I'm not sure I like the comparison.  Jessie was 6'5, with short arms, and poor lateral movement.  Shepard is 6'8/6'9 and growing with great length and top-notch lateral quickness.  Jessie also had a better handle...both seem like they can distribute well above average.  He seems more like a Lance Thomas to me. 

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »

I'm not sure I like the comparison.  Jessie was 6'5, with short arms, and poor lateral movement.  Shepard is 6'8/6'9 and growing with great length and top-notch lateral quickness.  Jessie also had a better handle...both seem like they can distribute well above average.  He seems more like a Lance Thomas to me. 

Didnt see much of lance thomas in high school but wasnt he pretty much just a inside player?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 08:53:08 AM »

Didnt see much of lance thomas in high school but wasnt he pretty much just a inside player?

I believe he's talking about Shepard's overall game being similiar to Lance Thomas' game.  Shepard isn't limited to the inside, but he isn't a perimeter player either. 

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 09:37:08 AM »
What's our realistic chances here? Seems we got involved late while he already has relationships established with SDSU, UTEP, New Mexico, etc.

Will he be visiting soon?

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »
What's our realistic chances here? Seems we got involved late while he already has relationships established with SDSU, UTEP, New Mexico, etc.

Will he be visiting soon?

The good news is that the schools are all in weaker conferences.

paultzman

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »
The bad news is San Diego State has definitely made inroads, according to my SDSU buddy and hoops junkie. May just be another drunor, but worth noting.

paultzman

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
Rumor, sorry

MCNPA

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »
The bad news is San Diego State has definitely made inroads, according to my SDSU buddy and hoops junkie. May just be another drunor, but worth noting.

The bad news is that we're recruiting against the two guys I really don't trust.   Scott Drew and Steve Fisher.

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2012, 02:02:20 AM »

The bad news is that we're recruiting against the two guys I really don't trust.   Scott Drew and Steve Fisher.

Thats a nice way to put it. I think someone posted that if its Baylor or us, time to move on. Can we puy San Diego St and UCLA in that category?

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »
in play
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

gman

« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »
in play
what is it that your hearing???

MCNPA

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
in play

Gracias.   I think Winston Shepard would be a great look for SJU.  Great defender and rebounder. Crafty passer with size.  Great to stick next to Moe.  Would give him soooooo much help up front one can't believe.  Shepard also plays with passion and takes the game personally like D'Lo, something I love about him.  Shepard would be an instant starter at PF next to Moe, and people don't realize how good we'd be right there, with Branch added.

Fwiw, I love Jakarr too.  I'm just disappointed that he's been hemming and hawing for sooooo long.  Jakarr, if you love the coaches and want to be part of this then just do it.  I have no idea if jayson smith is a problem but is suspect he might be.   I'd love both, but if Winston wants to be here, then I want guys like that. Lavin has put enough time into Jakarr.  If he can't figure out that SJU wants him and he'd be in a good spot, then that's on him...

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2012, 12:31:23 AM »
Article from Zags:

Lavin to Visit Findlay’s Winston Shepard

By Adam Zagoria on February 14, 2012, 11:44PM

While his team is mired in a four-game losing streak, St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin continues to recruit to land players for next season and beyond.

Lavin is on the West Coast and will be at Henderson (Nev.) Findlay Prep Wednesday to watch senior forward Winston Shepard, sources told SNY.tv. Findlay (23-1), No. 2 in the nation, plays host to ABCD Academy.

The 6-foot-8 Shepard is the Rivals No. 10 small forward in the Class of 2012. He is coming off a 10-point, 5-rebound, 5-assist game last Friday in an 82-47 win at Lubbock (Texas) Trinity.

Shepard has previously said his top five were New Mexico, Oklahoma State, San Diego State, UNLV and UTEP, but said he would also consider Oregon and St. John’s.

While in California, Lavin also checked out some younger players at Harvard-Westlake, St. John’s Bosco, Taft and Serra.

Harvard-Westlake also features 6-8 senior power forward Zena Edosomwan.

Edosomwan lists Harvard — the school that produced Jeremy Lin — as his top choice but will need the required SAT score to get in.

If not, St. John’s may have a shot.

“He’s an incredible athlete who can run the floor with anybody in the country and finish around the rim,” Harvard-Westlake coach Greg Hilliard told SNY.tv in December.

“He’s played less basketball than a lot so his polish needs to be worked on. I think everybody sees him as a four who can run the floor, rebound and block shots and has a nice handle.

“He’s a polite, high-character kid. That’s why everybody puts him so high on the list. He’s very academic oriented.”

St. John’s is also keying in on 6-8 forward JaKarr Sampson of Brewster (N.H.) Academy, a St. John’s decommit who visits Kansas Feb. 25, and 6-9 shot-blocker Chris Obekpa of Our Savior New American.

Obekpa is considering numerous schools, including Seton Hall, which beat St. John’s, 94-64, Tuesday night, handing the Johnnies their fourth straight loss