Winston Shepard - SF - Findlay Prep - Sugar Land, TX - SAN DIEGO ST.

• 101 replies
Re: Winston Shepard - SF - Findlay Prep - Sugar Land, TX
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2012, 02:58:19 PM »
I think the main guys here are Sampson and Obekpa.

Speaking to another poster this morning, I told him I'm never confident trying to get in with kids late in the game. Although I thought we had a shot with Shepard, I was never optimistic.

We have 7 rotational players as of right now for next season.

Realistically we don't need 5 or 6. If we can add 2 bigs and a shooter, I think we would be more than fine.

I'm not an eternal optimist but thats my opinion.

boo3

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »
 I have no faith that Jakarr will end up here. Call me pessimistic, but if he wanted to be here, he'd be signed up.

I'm going to tweet Lavin and see what's up?  I'm sure he'll respond. 

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2012, 02:59:28 PM »
Witholding judgement until May but this is not good. Not really expecting all that great of a class this year.

MCNPA

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »
Lavin certainly under the gun to salvage the class.  I think he was pretty confident with Shepard.  Ths has to be a blow.  Landing Jakarr, Edosomwan and others becomes more critical as the talent pool shrinks.  This class can certainly still be a good one, but it won't be easy for Lavin here with not much left on the table in terms of talent. 

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »
It's a dangerous game when you are putting all of your eggs in (a) a player who de-committed from our program (b) a player who is being recruited by virtually every team on the east coast.

I think Lavin should have tempered the fans expectations.  Tweeting that you are fully expecting to land a top ten class is a bold claim and it'll look that much worse if he doesn't pull it off.  Overall, this entire season has been an absolute disaster.

paultzman

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »
Not sure what to read in this. Realize the nature of Coach Lavin's health challenge, but wonder if he's feeling the difficulty of creating a successful program in an environment with such high frustration and thirst for a competitive product.

“@STJCoachLavin: Taking the long view vital to success in this business. Kipling's "If" linked here: http://t.co/L1UJVufj #stjbb”

boo3

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:24 PM »
Not sure what to read in this. Realize the nature of Coach Lavin's health challenge, but wonder if he's feeling the difficulty of creating a successful program in an environment with such high frustration and thirst for a competitive product.

“@STJCoachLavin: Taking the long view vital to success in this business. Kipling's "If" linked here: http://t.co/L1UJVufj #stjbb”

He coached at UCLA. He should be used to it.

paultzman

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »

He coached at UCLA. He should be used to it.

Look what that got him

MCNPA

« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »

A deep poem linked, and no doubt he's feeling every bit of the frustration that we are.  Hes feeling it ten fold wnd is under lots of pressure to produce. My only hope is he returns to the sidelines and builds a long career here.  I think the doubts about him coming back, the USC job and others are the biggest problem here and taking the biggest toll.  I see how ugly these boards have gotten.  I think the main issue is that fans really want to know when and IF we are getting our coach back.  Lavin has answered that, but the only real answers come over the next few years.  I have no doubt this program is in fantastic shape if Lavin is committed to be here for the long haul.  It's rough to have your coach out for an entire year when we are supposed to be rebuilding.  The foundation will continue to leak until he's back on the sideline and it's business as usual.  Stability is the key to success with Lavin moving forward.  This class can still come together to have a solid group on the court next year.  Onward and upward...

LJSA

« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
I think the doubts about him coming back, the USC job and others are the biggest problem here and taking the biggest toll.  I see how ugly these boards have gotten.

Everyone spreading the USC rumors needs to ask themselves what John Wooden would say to him about taking that job. He's not leaving after only one full season to take another college job, especially at a school he hates.

Marillac

« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »
Lavin's primary target this class has and will always be Sampson.  Sampson will be a Johnny.  I think we all got a little greedy wanting two top 50 hybrid forwards, but the reality is that doesn't happen too often.  We got spoiled with Lavin adding four top 75 wings last year.  That may never happen again in college.  Obepka is the second target and I think we land both. 

I have to admit I am shocked Shepard would commit to SDSU the day after Lavin visited him.  It's hard to get involved late with a kid, but SDSU?  C'mon...what conference are they even in next year?    Sanchez was the plan B to Shepard...let's get that done and move on. 

Re: Winston Shepard - SF - Findlay Prep - Sugar Land, TX - SAN DIEGO ST.
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2012, 11:03:04 PM »
Sampson Will be a Johnny.  I can say that according to people who works with program all say same thing.  He will be first to sign unless you count branch.

Poison

« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2012, 11:11:04 PM »
Sampson Will be a Johnny.  I can say that according to people who works with program all say same thing.  He will be first to sign unless you count branch.

Hopefully, Brian Colleary isn't your source.

ras

« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
Thats encouraging. What do these people say about Opekpa? If we can get both and a shooter well be in great shape, but as of now its only an if.

« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2012, 11:35:31 PM »
Thats encouraging. What do these people say about Opekpa? If we can get both and a shooter well be in great shape, but as of now its only an if.

I can't speak on Opekpa but staff feels they have as good As chance as anyone.  Sounds vague but they know that he loves spotlight which makes sju so appealing.   This is just what I was told

« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2012, 10:30:23 AM »

this is true until he visits Kansas, Baylor, and FL.  It's a different world out there.  Kids change their mind at a moments notice. 

What's working for us is that Sampson already has a deep relationship with Amir, Mo, Dom, and 3-Lo.  He spent the entire summer with Amir.  And balled with Mo, Dom, and 3-Lo during the summer.  That gives us a slight edge.  But again, the school visits can sway him away quickly.

gman

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »

Do you expect them to say something negative? I feel good only if and when he announces.

« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2012, 07:05:02 PM »
I believevif they were not confident they would of said. These are guys I still see on more than just a "hey what's up with recruits". They are not always right, who is?  I will agree though until he signs there is no guarantee and I guess with a lot of kids whose grades r not up to par it is never a guarantee until they step on campus for that first practice.

paultzman

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2012, 06:26:48 PM »
“@sdutzeigler: SDSU freshman Winston Shepard is suspended 3 games by NCAA for minor "impermissible benefits" violation. http://t.co/lzL0mAm6

gman

« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2012, 06:57:12 PM »
“@sdutzeigler: SDSU freshman Winston Shepard is suspended 3 games by NCAA for minor "impermissible benefits" violation. http://t.co/lzL0mAm6

Why did the NCAA allow him to play against NCAA?  Trying to help the tv ratings?